Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2002 1:15:23 PM EDT
Getting ready to purchase my 1st AR 15 and was stuck between 2 guns. The Bushmaster M4, or the Rock River Tactical A4. Please help. I would like to hear from anyone with experience with either of these guns. I'm planning on a purchase in about a week and any help would be great...Thanks Trucker
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I recommend the Bushmaster.  The Bushmaster's come with a chrome lined barrel, which not only can last longer but is much easier to clean, and also chambered in 5.56 as opposed to .223.  Also, Bushmaster has the highest reputation of any company I have read about in this forum, which ultimately led me to get a Bushy 3 months ago.  Hope this helps.

On a side note, Rock River Arms is also a VERY good piece, I prefer the Bushy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I belive quite recently (april) rock river started to chrome line their barrels...u might wanna check up on that. If they do, Rockriver might be a better value for your money. If money isnt a problem though, go for a bushy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Rock River!  Chrome lined barrels and 2-stage triggers!

223REM
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Also, Bushmaster has the highest reputation of any company I have read about in this forum,

Says who???  Nothing better or as good as an ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Bushmaster!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, now a new question. What you are telling me is that there is a difference between the 5.56 and the .223rem. Please explain...Also, Rock River barrels are chromed now...I call them. Thanks for the quick response...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster makes good rifles. Armalite makes good rifles. Rock River says screw AR15.com and screw the Hero Rifles. Don't forget that they hold you guys in contempt.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, Bushmaster has the highest reputation of any company I have read about in this forum,

Says who???  Nothing better or as good as an ArmaLite.

I second that "say's who".
I've been reading numerous problems on this web
site with Bushy's malfunctions and finish.
I haven't read anything bad about Colts, Armalite
and Rock River. At least not to the degree that's
come up about Bushy's. But this could be because
more people own them.

I would go with Rock River if money is part of the equation.
Otherwise get a Colt.
I have two of them and have never had a problem.
Thats my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Rock River!  Chrome lined barrels and 2-stage triggers

You don't want a 2 stage trigger on a defense gun; you want a 2 stage on varminter/competition setups. Go with Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Bushmaster makes good rifles. Armalite makes good rifles. Rock River says screw AR15.com and screw the Hero Rifles. Don't forget that they hold you guys in contempt.

Trucker, you need to pay attention to this post.  Rock River dropped the ball big time on rifles to honor the NYPD and FDNY members who were involved in the rescue efforts at Ground Zero.  ArmaLite more than picked up the slack.  Do a search on 'hero rifle' for the last 3 months and read all about it.  They will never get any consideration from many after that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Rock River!  Chrome lined barrels and 2-stage triggers!

223REM

And a tac handle and Hogue grip if I'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Toss a coin..  Got both and love them both..
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
If you compare apples to apples ie:  chromed barrels which they both now offer then I believe its a toss up.  They're both great and I own one of each.  good luck you cant go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Bushmaster XM15 A2....Me in love...

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trucker, you need to pay attention to this post.  Rock River dropped the ball big time on rifles to honor the NYPD and FDNY members who were involved in the rescue efforts at Ground Zero.  ArmaLite more than picked up the slack.  Do a search on 'hero rifle' for the last 3 months and read all about it.  They will never get any consideration from many after that.

Agreed !

Even if the above was not true (and it is) I would go ArmaLite and then Bushmaster.  Wait a minute - I did !

(The AR in AR-15 stands for ArmaLite !!)
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Trucker,
I just bought a brand new Bushmaster M4A3 and I love it.  I just got back from the range and the gun ran flawlessly.  It also has the best balance of any AR15 I have ever picked up.  If you get the Bushmaster I don't think you regret it.
Tom
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I should have guessed that Larry and Legs would pipe up with their anti-bushy BS instead of trying to be helpful. What in the hell is the boulder on your shoulder about Bushmaster?  I can't remember the last time you guys REALLY justifyed your dislike with Bushmaster with somthing other than facts.  I have a Bushy and have ZERO problems.  The finish matches exactly.  My only bitch with my Bushy is that the mag they send sucks.  Since I switched to USGI mags, 100% go time.  Oh, there is another problem... this thing goes thru way too much ammo (xm193 1250 rounds with ZERO hickups).  Two of my friends also have Bushys and there are many more at the club I belong to.  I have not heard anyone bitch about problems with their Bushy.  Everyone likes their Colts too.  Two other friends have DPMS rifles and they seem pretty good too.  I think you need to see whats available, see what's in your price range and go for it.  My personal feeling is that quality wise, there's not a huge difference between Colt and Bushmaster.  They both make a great product and I'd be proud to shoot either.
I just happen to have Bushy and I'm real happy with it.  I don't know about their customer service...I havn't need it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
OK, now a new question. What you are telling me is that there is a difference between the 5.56 and the .223rem. Please explain...Also, Rock River barrels are chromed now...I call them. Thanks for the quick response...

My understanding is that the 5.56x45 is the standard chambering for NATO, while .223 Remington specs have slightly a tighter chambering(more of a hunting round).  The 5.56 was made to be more forgiving with the ammo you feed it.

223REM
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I should have guessed that Larry and Legs would pipe up with their anti-bushy BS instead of trying to be helpful. What in the hell is the boulder on your shoulder about Bushmaster?  I can't remember the last time you guys REALLY justifyed your dislike with Bushmaster with somthing other than facts.  I have a Bushy and have ZERO problems.  The finish matches exactly.  My only bitch with my Bushy is that the mag they send sucks.  Since I switched to USGI mags, 100% go time.  Oh, there is another problem... this thing goes thru way too much ammo (xm193 1250 rounds with ZERO hickups).  Two of my friends also have Bushys and there are many more at the club I belong to.  I have not heard anyone bitch about problems with their Bushy.  Everyone likes their Colts too.  Two other friends have DPMS rifles and they seem pretty good too.  I think you need to see whats available, see what's in your price range and go for it.  My personal feeling is that quality wise, there's not a huge difference between Colt and Bushmaster.  They both make a great product and I'd be proud to shoot either.
I just happen to have Bushy and I'm real happy with it.  I don't know about their customer service...I havn't need it.

I didn't bash Bushmaster, I just stated that ArmaLite is the best.  That is not bashing anyone!

I would like to know where you get that I am consistently bashing Bushy.  I may state that I believe that ArmaLite is the best, just like you state that Bushy is the best.  Again, that is not bashing.  My, we're sensitive.

As for personal experience, I have two friends with Bushmasters, who have FTF problems everytime we go shooting.  Maybe it is the mags or whatever, but that is a FACT, not an opinion.

Besides, mr. post #26, how would you know what I have been posting, unless you are one of these who keeps getting booted out and re-registering?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Trucker,  

Hey Mike!!! You know all you have to do is buy that RR rifle and we'll go to Bill's airplane-patch and give em both a workout!her
Dave
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Dave! You got it. Can't wait to get out to the patch and blow up some dirt!  Trucker
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My 10 rd bushy works great-first time every time
Don't know if I just have a better than average
or you just got a lemon ? Of course GI mags work
great also .I actually like the shorter mags as
the 30's always seem to be catching on something
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Trucker what do you want to use it for? Do you want a maneuverability short weapon? Do you want a weapon to maybe try CMP matches? Or do you want a space age looking very accurate Varmint hunting rifle? It's your Choice. Bushmaster is what I have in 20"Flattop. Trust me with a Bipod very accurate.

I have just got a Varminter upper and building a lower. It will also be Bushmaster. I am going to send my 20" to JP fpr one of those muzzle breaks. Also check them and DPMS out.

Forget about the Politics Rock River makes a good Product. Do not hold any bad feelings to anyone for whatever. You might be able to take a Rock River and tack drive nials with it.

Look at Quality,Craftsmanship,Warranty and most important what feels good in your hands. I would also Check out the Armalite in 223 and 243.
I would also check out Remington 700M and some H&K stuff. There is a lot to consider. I am sure you will decide on a Bushmaster in the end or an Armalite.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Great postings! Thanks for all the info. Also, I will be using the rifle for just common shooting, plinking ect. Thanks for the info on the hero rifle, I will also look into that situation. I think its great what you all did for the guys, with the hero rifles and all. I really shows what can happpen in time of need like 9-11...it also says alot for armalite....Trucker
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Bushmaster get's my vote. I had a problem with my bushy but the customer service was excellent and they fixed the problem and got my weapon back to me in perfect order. Granted when you spend top dollar for a high quality weapon such as an AR15, you expect it to be correct right out of the box but my problems were minor and after the fix it has been flawless. Rock River Arms is going to have to feel the heat for turning thier back on our brave members who were at Ground Zero. That was unfortunate because they do build a nice weapon. Go with Bushmaster, you won't be dissapointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top