Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2002 7:53:09 PM EDT
Well I'm gonna join the IDPA just for some fun and see what im capable of after only having my pistol for a few weeks.. One problem.. I can't use my HK Match.45 and personally don't want to cuz it's heavy and all and I think you have to be able to conceal the firearm also right?  So i'm thinking of buying a regular USPF .45 barrel and taking the weight off and taking the Match barrel out and putting the USPf.45 barrel in it.. should I do this or just get me like a smaller gun? like a HK USPC SS .45 or a 1911 style.. these are my favorite 2 kind of pistols... no glocks no sigs nothing else but 1911 style and HK.. anyone have any recommendation for these 2 kind of pistols?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I was told the HK Tactical was OK last time I shot there.

Go with a 1911, a damn good gun, and a bit cheaper than the HK.

I personally use the 92FS, I placed top 15 in the combat pistol at the BRC with it.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
what is the longest and shortest distance you shoot at in IDPA?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
7 yards and 25 yards i think
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what is the longest and shortest distance you shoot at in IDPA?

IDPA is designed to simulate defensive scenarios, so they are from "point blank" to around 15 yrds for most strings.  I believe the rule book sets the max at 25yrds, but don't quote me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot my first IDPA match with my H&K USP S/S Compact & got raped on the mag changes. Then I switched to the Hi-Power & my score shot waaaaay up since I only had to make one mag change instead of two. Strangely enough I was the only one using a Hi-Power.  >gg<
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
You should be able to use the HK as long as it fits in the box, and I'm sure it does.  You can "conceal" it under a loose shirt or vest.  I wouldn't buy a different gun till you know you want to shoot IDPA on a regular basis, and/or need a different gun for "Carry" purposes. With the HK you should be able to shoot in CDP or SSP class.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]

as long as it fits in the box

Bah.  They discriminate against Desert Eagle owners.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#8]
HK is sending me a regular USP45F barrel and i'm going to take the match weight and match 6.02" barrel out of it and pop the regular barrel in and shave off like and inch and a half
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I've also been looking at the new(i guess new) Colt Government 1911's made exactly like they were 50+ years ago but it's around 1000 bucks  I might just get me a kimber or something
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a good 1911 and I swear you will never regret it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
HK is sending me a regular USP45F barrel and i'm going to take the match weight and match 6.02" barrel out of it and pop the regular barrel in and shave off like and inch and a half

Do you want to let me in on the secret technique here?  How on earth did you get HK to agree to send you a standard USP barrel without sending them a destroyed gun to exchange?  

All HK factory USP barrels have serial numbers that are matched to the number on the frame.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
my gun shop ordered it for me and in 4-5 days gonna go pick it up... no secrets.. i guess they just like me
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Have a great time in IDPA, I do and think it's a great sport.  Just got back from the Missouri midwest Spring Regionals, great match and great 3gun sidematch.  Anyway, your HK is fine as long as it fits in the box, I've seen others shoot the same gun at club matches.  A 1911 would be a great choice too, since the CDP category is pretty much designed around the 1911 45.  However, alot of shooters who get into it and decide to be competitive eventually shoot a glock.  It's pretty much the most popular gun for ESP and SSP categories.  Of course, you can be competitive with other guns too.  Whatever you shoot, just have fun and be safe.  As far as distances, point blank to a max of 25 yards.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok i'm looking at 4 different pistols..

Take my match weight off and take the 6.02" barrel out and use a regular USP45f barrel to make it a regular USP45f .45

A USPc SS .45

A Wilson Combat KZ-45

A Sig P229 .40S&W

The regular USPf barrel is like 170 bucks and would be the cheapest route, then the Sig,Compact, and wilson  I'll probably end up buying all of em before it's over with
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Go with the cheapest option first. After a couple of matches, see what the course designer like to lay out. Some like a lot of round up close and others fewer rounds farther a way.

We dont see too many Sigs at either IDPA or IPSIC matches. I shoot a p220 cause thats what i carry. I hold my own. The 229 would be better and .40 will get you in to the major cat.
More rounds in the gun, more time on target.Seems to be the rule for winners on the IPSIC
If i was chosing from your list.I would go with the p229. That would be my carry gun also. If you are going to carry a HK go with the HK  

Train Like You Fight,You Will Fight Like You Train!

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Well wilson IMHO is 300-400 bucks overpriced.. the compact can wait.. I love HK and never shot a Sig before.. I'm going to get the barrel for the HK anyway and it's a B-Day present so it's FREE for me atleast.. and since i'm only 20 I gotta have my dad buy me my pistols.. wish my gun shop would lemme "borrow" 4-5 pistols and 2 mags for each of them and see which one's I liked.. hmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw a lot of Glocks in the Production class, they seem to be anti-SIG and H&K requiring the first shot to be double action.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Gl**k.. bleh no thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]
"Run whatcha brung."

Or something like that.

Seriously though, pick the gun you want to use/carry for self defense and use that.  DO NOT shoot for scores.  Shoot for your own tactics.

NEVER leave cover without topping off your gun (tactical mag change).  Even if it costs you 3-5 seconds, train like you want to fight.  NEVER rush to the next corner to slice it with 2 rounds in a gun that can hold 8.  NEVER present more of yourself around the corner than you need to identify and engage the target.

I could go on and on.  But shoot it like you want yourself to perform if the problem were real life.  I will with no hesitation perform more reloads than other if it is tactically correct.

Who cares about whether some schmoe using gamey tactics beats you.  Did he retract his gun to high ready and scan left, right, and to the rear after shooting his stage?  It costs you seconds during the match, but could cost his life on the streets.  (EDITED to add that it doesn't cost you any time in a match, as the timer stops at your last shot.  So it's a "free"
tactical habit to get into.  I try to do it after engaging targets at the range.  Do it every time and you won't even think about doing it, yet it will get done.)

I'm not anyone special, other than a Joe who wants to improve his skills for real life (which is what IDPA is all about).  Your muscle memory and habit (training) are what you rely on in a fight.  Shoot IDPA like tactically correct training, not like you're shooting for the best score.

Don't mean to get on the soapbox, but those who shoot this for time only are missing the point.

EDIT noted in text.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot IDPA with a Glock 19C. I am getting a regular barrel for it. They have been letting me use the Compensated for now. I am sure you can use your HK. Do not go out and buy another gun, unless it is going to be for regular use. After all the gun you use in IDPA is suppose to be the gun you would use in real life.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#21]
when i get my CCW im not gonna lug that Match around with me.. I bought the match cuz it was a cool factor.. and they dont make/import them into the USA anymore and i also got a good deal on it.. i'm getting a HK USP Compact .40 to carry when I turn 21 and i'm gonna use it in IDPA matches...
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 4:06:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ok i'm looking at 4 different pistols..

Take my match weight off and take the 6.02" barrel out and use a regular USP45f barrel to make it a regular USP45f .45

A USPc SS .45

A Wilson Combat KZ-45

A Sig P229 .40S&W

The regular USPf barrel is like 170 bucks and would be the cheapest route, then the Sig,Compact, and wilson  I'll probably end up buying all of em before it's over with

The Sig P229 is what I started shooting IDPA with; it's a great gun(as are all the Sig's), and served me well.  Alas, I have crossed over to the DARK SIDE, and am now shooting the piece of tactical tupperware known as the Glock 34.

It's a speed thing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW,
I shoot my G27 and do pretty fair. It's my carry gun so I get the added benifit of realistic practice. Isn't that what IDPA is about in the first place?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top