Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2002 2:33:40 PM EDT
I have a 3rd gen SA scope mount that suffers from POS syndrome. Will not hold zero, etc. I have heard that B Square is even worse. Can anybody recommend a better mount? I like the Leupold rings that I have and will keep them. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

ARH
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
hehe...when I first read the subject thread I specifically came in to post a reply telling you that whatever you do, DO NOT get the Springfield 3rd Generation...you learned like me...the hard way!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
hehe...when I first read the subject thread I specifically came in to post a reply telling you that whatever you do, DO NOT get the Springfield 3rd Generation...you learned like me...the hard way!

Have you replaced yours yet?

ARH
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
ARH
I have had some experience withe the 3rd Gen Springfield Armory Scope Mount.  They are fine, just do not remove it once its mounted.  Use locktite to ensure the screw does not come loose.  

The Marine Corps uses the Brookfield scope mount and they too do not remove the mount for any reason.  Once it has the mount on it do not remove it.

Unless your a high speed low drag kinda guy it will serve its purpose for holding the scope in place.

Max
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a good one !

www.kieslersonline.com/product/ko_itemdetail.asp?prod=ARMSMNT18

M-14/M1-A Rifle Mount (#ARMSMNT18)
Since its introduction to the marketplace in 1989, this foundation has maintained its reputation as being the best mounting systems for the M21/14 Rifle. The A.R.M.S. ® #18 offers interchangeability of Day & Night Vision, with an ultra low profile and the A.R.M.S. SWAN ® aka Mil-Std. 1913 Rail. Made of 8620 case hardened steel. Precision fit to the base integral with the receiver. Two attaching points plus a third contact point for ultimate stability.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
ARH... I replaced mine with another one of the same.  Springfield replaced mine for free after I told them what a POS it was.  I'm sure they are used to replacing them.

As far as sticking with the 3rd gen and not taking it off...If you ask me thats BS.  I don't know about you, but I'm not going to buy a piece of hardware for my rifles or anything else for that matter, that will function "ok" so long as I don't take it off.  Well excuse me, the mount is advertised as easy to remove with its over-size screws and should be able to not only function as advertised, but in a normal fashion as well.  Besides, the 3rd gens problems go way beyond taking it off.  Just mounting the first time can ruin it if the screw holes aren't lined up EXACTLY with the receiver.  Anyway, when I strip and clean the rifle, I like taking the scope and mount off.  

As far as Ballistic tips suggestion goes, I understand that that mount is pretty much the best out there for the M1A but I feel sort of hesitant about spending $175 on a scope mount alone.  Expecially since I'm not a competition shooter or anything.  Theres got to be a middle of the road mount out there, I just haven't found it yet, probably because I haven't looked...hehe  
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
You can make the SA Inc work, sort of, through the use of loctite, after first shocking the threads in.  

Basically you tighten everything up as tight as you can get it, then using either a dead blow mallet or a regualr metal hammer with a block of wood between the screwhead and the hammer. smack the screws a couple of times each as if trying to drive them into the mount and receiver like they were nails.  Then turn the screws a little more.  Repeat 2-4 times until after smacking you really cannot turn the screws anymore.

By smack I don;t mean wailing away on it.  Just a sharp rap.

Then you unscrew it, put in loctite and reconnect.  You might find you need to give it a couple of raps yet, but probably not.

Or you can buy a real M14 mount.

Brookfield is the king of the hill, but the company is not operating at the moment due to legal issues.

ARMS makes a GREAT mount.

So does SMith Enterprises (very much like the Brookfield and maybe a bit better since it isn't cast.)

Armscorp and others also make Brookfield clones with greater and lesser success.

The McCann's mount is the only one out there that allows the mount to be dismounted without serious loss of accuracy upon remounting.  It's a steel mount and requires a little effort to mount the thing the first time since you need to drill the mounting block (which replaces the clip loading block), but it's a simple procedure.   I have one of these and it's a solid mount.  About the only apology is that it's higher than I would like and you will definitely need a cheek pad.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont have a mount on mine,however i have had the chance to fiddle with the #18 Arms its a solid mount with a throw lever Picatinny rail it wont lose your zero.if you can afford to you can have multiple throw levers and scopes and still be able to remain zeroed with each scope.Pretty neat deal to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I dont have a mount on mine,however i have had the chance to fiddle with the #18 Arms its a solid mount with a throw lever Picatinny rail it wont lose your zero.if you can afford to you can have multiple throw levers and scopes and still be able to remain zeroed with each scope.Pretty neat deal to me.

Actually, the ARMS #18 doesn't have a throw lever.

The problem with multiple throw lever bases is that it will raise the scope so far up that a viable cheek weld on a standard M14-type stock, even with an MRT cheek rest, is difficult.  That's why there's the M21 stock.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of M1A shooters are using the ARMS #18 in conjunction with the ARMS #19A.  This allows you to leave the base on the rifle with the ability to quickly remove or replace your optics.

Regardless of what mounts you use, you're going to need a cheek pad.  Or get a McMillan M3A fiberglass stock.  Cost is just about the same as Springfield's wooden M21 stock.

Moe
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Most M1A shooters consider the Brookfield the top of the line but good luck finding one.The Smith comes in a close 2nd.I've also heard good things about the ARMS mount.I have the Smith and it's great.It should run you about $175 +or-

www.smithenterprise.com
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you to all who responded.
Links and info are very much appreciated.

ARH
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#12]
A.R.M.S. #18,#19A,#21 STANAG

GIB
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#13]
ARH
I too have a SA M1A and have been looking for a scope that doesn't cost my first born.  I looked at the Smith model and thought $190 is alot for a small piece of metal.  Good luck.  Ralph
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top