Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2002 12:45:11 PM EDT
I have an early 4-digit Government M6550 on its way to me. I know it is PRE-BAN and I have been told "this is the one to have." My question is "why?"

I love my SP1 and I know that the early gov't models all had the "evil" features and no sear block. Why is it "the one to have?"

Standard pin sizes? A2 barrel, not HBAR? Limited quantity? no sear block? All of the above? I'm curious..... [:\]

Rmpl
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Other than the fact that they are fairly rare and have "Gov't Model", stamped on the receiver I don't know. Most if not all have the slabside receiver and had the large screw type front take down pin which is not mil spec, but the A-2 barrel certainly is better than going HBAR.

Anyway they look cool!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My first AR-15A2 was a Colt R6550k Government Model. It has been, is, and always will remain my favorite AR-15.

Pros:

A) Roll marked AR-15A2 Gov't Model (Desireable and cool all by itself)

B) Colt Green Label model closest to an issue M16A2

C) Relatively rare. Even fewer produced than the coveted R6520 Government Carbine. Enjoys collector status and will thus retain it's value over time.

D) Colt quality and reliability. Mine justs wants to run and run and run. And run some more.

Cons:

A) Slabside (Big deal, anyone ever accidentally release a mag?)

B) Large pivot pin (Can make swapping uppers potentially inconvenient, but a non-issue if you leave the weapon in it's factory form)
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

C) Relatively rare. Even fewer produced than the coveted R6520 Government Carbine. Enjoys collector status and will thus retain it's value over time.

Due to the details of the deal, which I won't bore you with, this rifle is to be my "shooter" that allows my pristine SP1 to go back together and be a collectable and/or wife's gun.

I am now wondering, since the R6550 is more rare & valuable than an SP1 if I should use my SP1 lower for my "shooter" instead of the R6550 lower and just build an A1-based upper that I would like to have. This would save this R6550 in the LNIB condition that it is in.

What are your thoughts?

Rmpl
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#4]
if it has been used, continue to use it, BUT !!!!!!

take very good care of it, it is sacred..., it is a Colt !!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Boomer, would'nt a R6551 be closer to the M16A2 than the R6550 ?  It has the raised fence and some are pre drilled, A2 lower reinforcements, small hole lower on later models, Govt. profile barrel. It does have a sear block but that is removeable and both lack the bayo lug.  Granted, it does'nt say "AR15A2" on the side but neither does a M16A2.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Boomer, would'nt a R6551 be closer to the M16A2 than the R6550 ?  It has the raised fence and some are pre drilled, A2 lower reinforcements, small hole lower on later models, Govt. profile barrel. It does have a sear block but that is removeable and both lack the bayo lug.  Granted, it does'nt say "AR15A2" on the side but neither does a M16A2.

Keep in mind that I did qualify my statement by using the term "Green Label". The R6551 is a Blue Label model.

Otherwise, which is closer to the M16A2 depends on how you want to look at it.

With the Green Label models, the primary deviations are the larger pivot pin, the lower reciever doesn't have the magazine fence or A2 reinforcements, and the very last of the series didn't have a bayonet lug.

On the Blue Label models, the primary deviations are addition of the sear block, larger trigger pins, lack of a bayonet lug, and the early examples usually had the larger pivot pin as well.

So while it tends to boil down to the old "Six of this, half dozen of the other", I tend to view the Green Labels as being a bit closer for my needs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Due to the details of the deal, which I won't bore you with, this rifle is to be my "shooter" that allows my pristine SP1 to go back together and be a collectable and/or wife's gun.

I am now wondering, since the R6550 is more rare & valuable than an SP1 if I should use my SP1 lower for my "shooter" instead of the R6550 lower and just build an A1-based upper that I would like to have. This would save this R6550 in the LNIB condition that it is in.

What are your thoughts?

The R6550 is NIB or LNIB? NIB is a bit tougher of a decision, but LNIB means used. Either way, I'd probably at least sparingly shoot both the R6550 and the SP-1.

The SP-1 is the most plentiful of the pre-ban Colts and, with the exception of the early ones with very low 3 and 4 digit serial numbers, doesn't currently seem to attract many collectors or collector prices.

I shoot the shit out of my own R6550 and have been doing so since the day I bought it new off the dealers shelf, well before there was any notion of a nationwide ban. I might be a more hesitant to do so had I paid current market value for one, though. But I've never owned a gun I didn't intend to shoot.

Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The R6550 is NIB or LNIB? NIB is a bit tougher of a decision, but LNIB means used. Either way, I'd probably at least sparingly shoot both the R6550 and the SP-1.

The SP-1 is the most plentiful of the pre-ban Colts and, with the exception of the early ones with very low 3 and 4 digit serial numbers, doesn't currently seem to attract many collectors or collector prices.

The R6550 is so good that two very experienced collectors couldn't tell if it had ever been shot or not. None of the metal parts would give a clue. It still has that powdery residue from plastic wrap. However, the box was lost/thrown away by first owner so there is no box.

I think I have decided to sight it in and then keep it as is. I will build on my SP1 lower and add a SP1 upper with 14.5" barrel with permanent Phantom attached, then add my Reflex I to it. That would be my master blaster...

Thanks,
Robert
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top