Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2002 8:12:15 AM EDT
I'm just curious, how come there is a .22 mag if there is so much empty space in the .22lr for more powder?

Couldn't a hbar .22 handle the increased pressure from more powder in the round?

Just curious if anyone knew.

WL
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Same reason the .357mag & .44mag are longer than their brothern: older guns aren't built to handle the extra pressure. Should one shoot a hopped up .22LR in great-grandad's old shingle shot, it wouldn't be very safe!

Unfortunately mfgrs have to factor in various "idiot factors" when designing new calibers & ammo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#2]
That is why you notice that the various hyper velocity 22s out there say that they should only be used in modern firearms in good working order.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I do understnd the idiot factor, but even the hyper-velocity ar not even half full, and they sacrifice bullet weight for velocity.

I need to start rloading my own .22 (j/k)

WL
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Squirrells with long claws live here in GA, personally I'd shoot them with a .45acp if it were legal!!!

.22lr Aguila Maximun Velocity 1800fps 215 FtLbsE

.22WMR CCI MAXI-MAGS+v 2200fps    345FtLbsE

When You are talking about a squirrel at point blank range that can be hit in the head and stay stuck to the tree... Velocity/energy is everything!!!
-Chuck    
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like those squirrels need a 22-3!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top