Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 5:48:39 PM EDT
has anyone cut the lug and welded on a muzzle brake?

I got two upppers for my preban and I am thinking of buying a postban lower.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]

has anyone cut the lug and welded on a muzzle brake?

You know I don't think anyone's ever thought of that!!!! :)

Sure you can. People do it all the time. Just take the little ears of the lug to make it unusable and thread on a muzzle brake and weld it like you said.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
i had it done. my guy clipped hte barrel, and completely removed the lug, you cant tell a lug was ever there. the barrel is now closer to 19 inches, its pretty cool. its looks diffrent, but no one can put thier finger on whats diffrent.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#3]
does it need to be spot welded or all the way around?

I don't want to screw up a nice looking barrel.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
does it need to be spot welded or all the way around?

I don't want to screw up a nice looking barrel.

A single spot weld will secure it BUT, you had better roll pin AND spot weld it to be safe.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Taking an even cheaper approach. Has anyone ever just turned the muzzle threads down on a lathe until they disappered? I know it will probably look silly, but is this legal to do? I was thinking about doing this to an old 1:12 twist preban barrel that I would like to use in a dedicated .22 LR upper. I was told that you could not recrown a chrome lined barrel without ruining the chrome lining. Any opinions?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I had an SP1 barrel that my local gunsmith modified just like you are thinking....
He cut off the bayo lug and then he cut and recrowned the barrel just behind the flash supressor...shoots just fine
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]

I was told that you could not recrown a chrome lined barrel without ruining the chrome lining.

This is not true for the chrome linning on an AR15 from what I have been told. The chrome process is a gas introduced process not a dipped one. It's very thin and doesn't chip. The easiest way is to just to recrown the barrel and it won't look funny like having the threads turned down would.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top