Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2002 12:43:11 PM EDT
Lots of guys talk about the mini Y-Comp muzzle break.  Yet I see the full size version.  Is it a waste of break and unneccesary length?

I'm going to buy a 16" chrome lined and fluted dissipator barrel with a flip-up front sight for my posty AR.  I want to put a break on it but want to get the right one.

Opinions are welcome!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
it kinda goes lyke this:

"...tastes great...., less filling..."

added:

"chunky or smoothe"
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Just to warn you ahead of time, I have the mini Y on a 16" hbar bushmaster upper and the comp is a toothbuster...Concussion and noise are intense for shooter and even more so for bystanders.  However, it does work very well.

Frisco
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just to warn you ahead of time, I have the mini Y on a 16" hbar bushmaster upper and the comp is a toothbuster...Concussion and noise are intense for shooter and even more so for bystanders.  However, it does work very well.

Frisco

Yeah I heard that too, I may just skip the break all together.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 4:13:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't get the need for a comp on a semi-auto 5.56 anyway.
There's just not much recoil to deal with.
On a bigger caliber, of a full auto, I could see it.
Is the root of this simply to imitate the pre-ban "look"?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 4:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Interesting question.  Maybe if you're pumping rounds out real fast, like you said.  Options options options!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, consider this:

Have you ever seen a highly accurate AR varmint or silhouette long range accurate rifle with a muzzle brake?

Have you ever seen a Military select fire AR with a muzzle brake?

Maybe Bushmaster (and others) are right.  The AR is generally quieter and more accurate without them.  Maybe you would be better off with a target crowned barrel?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you decide (brake/no brake), just don't go with the Mini-Y. I am unable to fire mine without hearing protection and it's a drag to have to wear inserts while walking a trail. I'll be sending mine to Kurt's Custom in the near future for a switch. The Mini is so loud it literally hurts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No, the point is to stay on target for multiple rounds, maintain your sight picture, and be able to transition quickly.  I don't think anyone will ever mistake a Mini Y-Comp for a A2 flash hider.  That being said, the Y-comp is one of the most effective breaks on the market.  The tactical rifle matches that I have attended demonstrate very clearly the need for a break; you don't stand a chance without one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Seneca has some interesting points.  

So does raf.  Why doesn't the military use muzzle breaks?
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Seneca has some interesting points.  

So does raf.  Why doesn't the military use muzzle breaks?

Muzzle breaks, in direct proportion to their efficiency, are LOUD AS HELL!!!

All that extra noise is not the best thing for "command and control".  The military "might" have a need to hear what's going on around them, while a competitor in a match does not.  By the way, alot of what makes it into the SF kit was derived from competition; think Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
The NVD concept makes sense.  As does the noise complaints.

However, say in 'our' world, where most of us have post-ban rifles, does it make sense to get a muzzle break?

IE, a 20" heavy barrel wouldn't need one.  Would a 16" barrel?  Picture a SHTF scenario, would you really want one?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:33:39 AM EDT
[#15]
RAF, very good point about the night vision; makes sense.

You can't use the more effective breaks without hearing protection.  Auditory exclusion is a psychological phenomenon, while bleeding from the ears is a physiological occurrence.

I've also never seen anything "fragile" used in a tactical match; it's pretty much "SHTF" gear only.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot the nine.

Of course I'm very fast and very accurate...
Although somewhat humble in my abilities.

Dang, right post...wrong topic!
I guess that's what happens when your working nights and have been awake over 24hrs.

Oh well, I said it and I'm not taking it back...whatever it means.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]
My personal opinion: you don't need one. The recoil of this cartridge is nil, especially when I think of my .30-06 deer rifle.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#18]
It is reported that not only is the AK-74 brake more effective, it's less noisey. And yeah, follow up shots are in the same place.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#19]
For my recent experiences with the Mini-Y:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=122459

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#20]
It's not about recoil hurting your shoulder, hell if you can't take a few hundred .30-06 rounds you're holding the rifle wrong - it's about sight picture.

The proper way to hold the rifle is with the support hand just supporting the handguards - not gripping it. See Jim Crew's book for pictures and details why but basically the support hand will transmit corrections (flinch) to the barrel before the bullet leaves the barrel.

The barrel of even a fairly heavy 20" rifle will flip upwards with each shot causing the target at some distance to be obscured. On paper targets that don't often shoot back this is not a problem. At ranges where you can throw the rifle and hit the target this is also not a problem. When a more hostile target disappears from my sights I want to know if it's seeking cover or room temperature.

Next some mechanics men. The amount of energy coming out behind the bullet is relatively fixed in relationship to muzzle treatments. Suppressors (silencers) work by retarding the release of these gases muffling the energy release that we detect as sound. Flash suppressors (which the military uses because they are exempt from the screwy laws) are designed to modify the gas release to reduce the fireball to save the shooter's night vision. From the target's perspective you can still see the flash. Finally muzzle brakes take some of the energy and redirect it away from it's normal path (towards the target) and channel it off to the sides (recoil reduction) and upwards (to counter the flip). The brake doesn't add noise - it only redirects it.

Some times it's a good thing to reduce the amount of noise directed at the target.

Wearing proper hearing protection it's hard to hear the difference between a .223 and a .308 let alone a bare barrel and a muzzle brake. If it came to the point where I had to take an unprotected shot, damaging my hearing for life, it would be a situation of life or death and the tiny difference in damage wouldn't be of much concern compared to putting fast lead into the target.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#21]
tell it like it is Paul, very well spoken.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I understand that for a post ban you can't design a brake/comp that also supresses the flash.  It would seem that you could put one on a pre ban.  Is that correct?  If so, does anyone make one (that works reasonably well at both tasks)?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top