Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 7:42:04 PM EDT
Hey all,

I really need some help on deciding between two guns.  One of them, the SR-25, is an AR, and the other is the Sig SSG 3000.  I am looking for a long range gun, and am trying to decide between these two. he
The Sig is a bolt action, with a 23” barrel, with a flash hider.  It also has an adjustable stock, so I could get a good cheek weld, as opposed to needing an attachment or something for the SR-25.  It has the ability to attach a bipod and different manner of scopes.  This gun only comes with a 5 rnd mag, as opposed to the stoner’s 20 rnd.  

I would really appreciate any helpful comments or opinions.  Some quick things you should know is that money, about a thousand bucks difference, is not a very big issue.  Also, my dad has an SR-25 that I can shoot sometimes, so the SSG3000 would be a totally new experience.  I absolutely love the flash hider, but do the things about the SSG3000 outweigh the great gun that the stoner is?
her
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
whoever put other, will you please write whatcha think?    I really need help here please...
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I put 'other'.  Since you want .308, I would suggest the ArmaLite AR10.www.armalite.com
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
For that kind of money, you could a really accurate bolt gun, custom made. Just my .02 worth.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I put 'other'.  Since you want .308, I would suggest the ArmaLite AR10.www.armalite.com

LARRYG

The SR-25 is pretty much a super accurate AR-10.  So would u pick that,  money ain't much of an issue.

For that kind of money, you could a really accurate bolt gun, custom made. Just my .02 worth

kevhog  
can u reccommend some kind of place to get that done.  A website would be preferable.  The ssg is a bolt gun, with some of the things that would be on a custom made gun, at least for me.   thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]

The SR-25 is pretty much a super accurate AR-10

No, it's not.

They are very similar rifles.  They have near equivalent accuracy.  The only thing you're paying for with the SR25 is the name and slow service.  You're NOT getting a better product for your extra $1000+

In fact, me and my buddies AR10s have proven more accurate and more reliable than some of our other friends' SR25s.  Some of them own both an SR25 and and AR10.  When we go shoot for bragging rights, they bring their ArmaLites.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Gung ho, what exactly are you tryin to pull on me?  The SR-25 is MUCH more accurate than the armalite.  Maybe if you spend like 5k on the armalite it will be equal accuracy, but the stoner is lighter, and much more refined.
he
oh and todays my birthday,hopin
thanks all
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Try to find one of those CZ-52 rifles.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
McMillian Brothers -www.mcmfamily.com/  - build some mighty nice bolt actions.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#9]
My AR-10 seems to outshoot anything else I've got except perhaps for my Colt AR-15. Even using cheap mil-surp ammo. Recoil is minimal & this thing is just a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I would have a bolt gun built in 308 or 300 lapua. But I love evbg (Evil Black Bolt Guns) ;o)
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...snip....  money ain't much of an issue.

Then may I recommend an HK PSG-1 I've only seen a couple in private hands for sale and somewhere in the neighborhood of $12,500. But they're so damn cool!

remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/psg1/psg1.htm

Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Go with the Sig man, that rifle is deadly. I can shoot Quarters all day long at 500yards with it, definatly worth the money, PS take off the flash hider and get a silencer for it it will cut group sizes in half. With an AAC can the thing sounds like a crosbow!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Also, my dad has an SR-25 that I can shoot sometimes, so the SSG3000 would be a totally new experience.

Just based on what you said right there, you can shoot an SR-25 anytime you want. Go for the new experience! You can always sell the thing if you change your mind!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Another who would vote for Armalite or RRAs new one..   Stoner is glitz in my opine.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally I would go with a Barrett M-82A1, it is a wonderful gun, and I have never had mine, nor seen anyone else have a problem with theirs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like the Sig SSG3000 will be my next gun.  Is .308 a good hunting cartridge, cuase i wanna hunt some deer.  Will report back when i shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The SR-25 is MUCH more accurate than the armalite.

Not in my experience.  Maybe you've shot both and came to a different conclusion.  In which case, I'm happy for you.

Generally, Knight's is said to be more  accurate, but not much more).  I do not see it.

Maybe if you spend like 5k on the armalite it will be equal accuracy

We're not talking about an HK91.  And, there isn't that much to do to an AR-10... optics, Krieger barrel, weights.  Other than that, what do you improve upon?  Serious question.

but the stoner is lighter, and much more refined

Lighter, yes.  Knight's uses an extruded upper receiver.  ArmaLite's is forged.

The "refined" part is debatable.

If the armalite is at least as accurate, why did the military choose the stoner over the armalite?

Knight's made it to the market first.  Knight's marketed more agressively.  Knight's gives LAPD and the military good service... preferential service.

It certainly isn't cost, and there must be a reason that they didn't go for it, especially if it is close to two grand less then the stoner.  And cost is a big thing in the military, (ie, Berreta 92 or the sig 226  or HK USP)  The stoner is a much better rifle, and much more accurate, well worth the money.

You're making two assumptions:

1.  It costs more, therefore it must be better.
2.  It got the contract, therefore it must be better.

There's a whole lot more that goes into military contracts than cost.  Maybe it did do better for them in trials.  I cannot find evidence on the results of the trials, so maybe you have more insight than I do.

oh and todays my birthday,  hopin to get one of these two very soon.

Happy birthday.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
.308 is a great deer cartridge.

Have fun with the new boom-stick!

Happy Birthday!

Tony
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Go for the HK PSG 1

If money is no option

By The way, the dealer cost on one of those is
$14,035 from RSR distributors

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#20]
hey all,

Ok when i said money wasn't an issue, i meant between the two guns.  I would absolutely love to have a PSG1, but i just don't have money to buy that yet.   Also, any reccommended ammo for hunting.  thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Commercial:  I'm actually had pretty good luck with Winchester Supreme (black box) 168s.  Speer 180 Grand Slams aren't too bad either.  I never had a lot of luck with Federal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#22]
AR10a4
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#23]
AR10(T)

Hawaii
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I shot 4 deer (all decent sized does) with sierra 150gr spitzer point bT behind 45 grs of IMR 4064 powder... Over penetrated... personally for the small Georgia deer, I would Like to have a 125hp or Ballistic tip, In My .270win I have Hornady 110gr V-max for deer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top