Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 4:04:56 PM EDT
Based on Sept 11 will the politicians let the assault ban law die or will they renew it.
I think it expires in 2004.
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
i think AR15.com should sponcer a team to go to congress and debate with them about renewing the law.  i hope they dont !!!!

KILL THE DAMN THING!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I hear, it is written that it expires no matter what but another one will probably replace it, though I hope not.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that would be a great idea Citabria7GCBC, I would votunteer for sure.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]

...it is written that it expires no matter what but another one will probably replace it

OK, seriously, what are the chances of this? How do you see this scenario playing out?

I could see Chuckie Schumer barking like a rabid dog about this or that and trying to drum up support for continuing the ban. But will anyone stand up against him?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
CT passed an amendment to PA 10 130 (our "assault weapon" act) last year which effectively extends the federal assault gun law indefinitely.

I'm sure alot of the more "enlightened" states have as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
It will either be renewed or we'll get something worse to take its place.  I don't think Dubya and his crew are truly pro-gun enough to take the heat for letting the 'assault weapons ban' go away.  After all, it's for the children.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The title is "Assault Ban Law---Will it Expire?"

Personally, I don't ever see a ban on assaults being allowed to expire.

Besides, this subject has been beaten to death.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It will expire that is the way it was written. Unfortunately it will most likely be replace with a bill that is more restrictive.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think that would be a great idea Citabria7GCBC, I would votunteer for sure.

Keving67

Have room for one more?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I dunno about this one... I used to think
"well they passed it once they will do it again." But since 9/11 I am not so sure. The ban could very well expire due to all the other fun and games going on and just be forgotten.On the other hand, quite a few states have enacted there own "AW Ban" so it might be a moot point for those living in those states.Only time will tell....
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The democrats lost congress after they passed it in 1994, and Gore's position on guns is considered to be one of the reasons he lost the election. I doubt too many democrats will be enthusiastic about supporting this abortion of a law again
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#12]
When does it expire?????

Hopefully after Bush, we might get a real Conservative in who wpn't enact a replacement.  Bush is so Politically Correct, I don't know what happened to him.  Did those commie pinkos in Europe hypmotize him?

We are at war, he leaves the country for two weeks, and when he gets back all he wants to talk about is black music.  Anybody else outraged????????  Just cause he claims to be a Republican ain't a good reason to support him, when's he going to act like the man I voted for.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't see it expiring,but then I never thought I would see Communism fall in my lifetime.If it does expire,I'll wait 6mths for prices to drop and then I'm going on the mother of all shopping sprees.

Bush is so P/C he'll cave into the 1st Dem screaming for extending the ban.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Communizim has not fallen, the liberal demoncrats have picked it up & are breathing new lyfe into it.........
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:47:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm new to this site but have been a gun lover for a long time.  I am also an attorney.

The Omnibus Crime Bill became effective Sept. 14, 1994.  It sunsets automatically after 10 years unless renewed.  In other words this law expires September 14, 2004.

As you all know, this law is the one which prohibits you and I from owning a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine with two or more of the following characteristics:

pistol grip protruding conspicuously below the receiver;
folding or collapsing stock;
bayonette lug;
threaded barrel;
flash hider, etc.

This law also banned civilians from owning high capacity magazines (those over 10 round capacity) made after Sept. 14, 1994.

The problem is that there will be a clamor by anti-gunners to renew the law in Sept. 2004.  The timing is bad because the press will paint all pro-gun politicans as bad guys if they do not renew the law.  The President will be up for re-election. He will be pressured by the liberal left media to sign the renewal.

Freedom lovers need to band together and come up with a plan.  This may be our only chance to reverse a loss of liberty.  The NRA must play a major role.  However, they need to be primed by the NRA members well in advance of the battle so that there is no waffling on their part.

Congressmen and Senators too must understand unequivocally that their constituents will not tolerate a renewal of the law.

2004 is just a little over two years away. Friends, we need to come up with a plan and make it work.

We all know that only a fraction of 1 percent of all crime was committed with the so called semiautomatic assault weapons before the law.  There was no basis for the law the first time around.  There is no basis for it now.

It is a restraint on trade and it is a clear violation of the Second Amendment.

Let's get after it.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#16]
moderators, please tack one of these AW Ban threads for people to reference.  They seem to occur about every week with the same subject matter.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Well guys, if you really want to help get rid of this stupid law, may I suggest going to the NRA with AR15.Com support. These guys have the money and most importantly, the lawyers to get the job done.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
moderators, please tack one of these AW Ban threads for people to reference.  They seem to occur about every week with the same subject matter.

Also should be in GD forum.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Communizim has not fallen, the liberal demoncrats have picked it up & are breathing new lyfe into it.........

Amen Brother!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#20]
It passed by one vote. The mid term elections were a blood bath for the Democrats. I'm hopeful but not confident.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I hear that the democratic party is backing down from gun restrictions in order to appeal more to rural voters. Maybe they will not come up with a replacment ban.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
The anti-gun, godless, liberal media will make sure that the issue raises its ugly head.  Politians will respond.  Of this you can be sure!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Guys
I am learning things here I didnt know.I appreciate all the comments. Please keep going.
I hope this issue does come up every week between now and Sept 2004.--If we dont passively sit by and twiddle our thumbs maybe we can get AR15 and The NRA to put this at the top of their agenda.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top