Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 10:40:48 AM EDT
looking for plans to make a rock steady portable shooting bench   our county doesn't have a outdoor public shooting range so we can, on scheduled weekends use the local sheriff's rangs but the benches they provide aren't rock steady  the bench must be able to be carried from the vehicle to the shooting lane
thanks a lot
shoot strait
teele1
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Rock steady and portable don't usually go together but here is an idea I've seen that should get you close.  The legs are taken from a folding table.  You can buy them from Harbor Freight or any big box hardware supplier, or off of a throw away table.  The top is made from 3/4" plywood.  Cut the top any-way you want it and trim the edges or sand them smooth.  The hard part is getting the legs to close.  In our bench the legs will overlap when you try to close them because the top isn't long enough.  To overcome that, mount one of the folding legs to the table with a 2x4 spacer between the legs and the table.  You'll also need a spacer for the hinged locking leg's attachment.  If you set up the table now, one end will be higher than the other by the width of the 2x4.  To offset this difference, you CAREFULLY make a small cut upthe side of the feet on the other legs and insert appropriate sized pipe 2-3" in the legs and trim them to length so the table will be level.  You're just trying to insert a snug pipe to level the whole thing up.  I thought I had saved a set of plans on my computer but I can't find it.  Maybe I printed it out and it's in one of my binders somewhere.  

Hope this helps,
jd1    
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
found this a while back while surfing for varmint loads:

http://www.egpworld.com/varmints/p-dog/table.jpg

this could be what you're looking for.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.varmintcallers.com/shotbnch.htm

Here's the address of the style I discussed.

jd1
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I made the one from the plans at this site. It takes a bit of woodworking, but is very steady. There a also plans for a gun rest to go with the bench.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
gentlemen thank you very much for the info
our range will not be open again until august and I hope that I will be taking my new shooting bench with me then   thanks again
shoot strait
teele1
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
We use a simple Costco/Sams folding table and transoprt it on our SUV to our private range..  It's surprisingly steady in sand..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top