Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2002 10:49:08 PM EDT
I posted this on the handguns forum, but didn't have much luck, so I thought I would bring it over here and get a few more opinions.

I have heard this is a no-no. Why? I have tried it before (very little, maybe 12 rounds) and have had no adverse reactions)gun didn't blow up).  I looked at the casings and they appeared normal, so why aren't I suppose to do this. Thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The brass for the .22 magnum is slightly larger in diameter than a .22lr. When firing, the .22lr brass expands to fit the chamber, then the bullet starts its journey.
Just get a .22lr cylinder from Ruger or Numrich or whoever, and shoot it properly.

My $.02

I have the LR cylinder too and use it mostly, but would like to shoot some lr's through the mag if that is all I have with me.  So is it mainly an accuracy thing and not really a safety issue?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an old 3 screw single six that came with a magnum cylinder.  I bought it thinking it was a .22lr and was surprised to find about 20% of my cases were splitting.  I took it to a gunsmith who told me it was a mag cylinder and that was to be expected when a dumbass like me shoots .22lr's through it.  In the case of my older Ruger it could have been a safety issue.  I don't think the little LR can cause any catastrophic failures but it could possibly cause some damage?  Anyhow I relegated it to magnums.  They're pretty cheap anyhow, granted not as cheap as LR's pretty cheap nonetheless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top