Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2002 2:20:50 PM EDT
With a 14.5" barrelled uppper, using a standard front site, how much of the target is covered by the front site at 25 meters, 50 meters, 100 meters, etc...?

Or yard measurements if you have them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You can figure it out yourself if you know the wideth of the front site post. You need to measure the site radius and the distance from the rear site to your eye. If you want the formula reply back and I will dig it up again.

I know that my 16" has a .070 wide front site post. It is 13.9 MOA wide. This means at 100 yds the front site post covers @ 13.9 inches horizontally.

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#2]
When you get the chance I'd greatly appreciate it if you could dig up that formula and post it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to measure you site radius (distance between front and rear sites) and then measure the distance from you eyeball to the rear site when in shooting position. Call this measurement A.

A = total distance from your eye to the front site
B = wideth of the front site

A / (B * 1/60 tan) = MOA of front site

example : .070 / (15.25 * 1/60 tan) = 15.78 MOA

This example is probably close to what you have on your gun.

Once you have MOA of the front site then you can figure out how much of the target it covers at each yardage by multipling.

So at 100 yds this example would cover 15.78" at 100 yds. Half at 50, twice as much at 200 etc.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure I undertand exactly what you're saying here.  If you'll help, I'd like to clarify.

Measurement A is the distance from your eye to the rear sight, correct?

Is B the distance from the front to rear sight?

How does the width of the front sight figure into this equation?  If I change the width of my front sight, how do I alter the equation to calculate the new MOA coverage?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Maud, check it out now, I just edited my post to make it more clear.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
you switched your variables in the equation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top