Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2002 11:01:29 AM EDT
I have only shot a standard factory trigger in my colt.  I also own a new unfired Bushmaster.
Both are M4's semi auto's.

I want to know if a two stage is better or what.  Also, if I do go with a two stage, who makes them for colt large pins or do I need my lower worked over.

I have heard good things about John Holliger of White Oaks Precision.

Input appreciated.  Ralph
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Most military triggers are two stage.  You probably already have this type of trigger.  With a two stage trigger you have a considerable amount of "slack" where the trigger moves with very little resistance.  Then it hits the second stage and it takes more pressure to pull the trigger to a release.  A single stage trigger pretty much starts at the same point as the second stage of a two stage trigger.  The trigger movement on a single stage trigger is much less than on a two stage trigger.  A two stage trigger is considered to be a bit more deliberate.  The military wants you to be sure that you actually intended to fire.  Target shooters and bolt gunners have the single stage trigger that meets their needs better.  Once you have felt them both you will know what I mean.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=103944

Or do search on Triggers. Lots-o-info...!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
www.georgiaprecision.com/cats/catartriggers.htm

Jewell 2-stage, Large Pin - $174.40
Just get one here from Tommy at GPSS, and
you can stop shopping.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I applied to this site with the main aim to set you guys straight on this topic.

A 2-stage trigger is JUST that...A trigger with TWO available trigger-release weights.

When you take-up the initial slop before the trigger lets the hammer go, IT IS CREEP. Some (single stage adjustable) triggers allow you to remove all or most of the creep and adjust the pull weight. THIS IS STLL a single stage trigger.

A TWO stage trigger allows you to do the same thing, but gives you 2 choices of trigger pull weight. This type of trigger allows you to (A) just pull on the trigger in the "normal" range of an adjusted weight of 4 to 7 pounds. (B) if you want a super-low trigger release weight, you USUALLY push the trigger FORWARD, which puts the sear in the SECOND stage, with a (usually) available weight of around 1/2 ounce to 2 pounds...This is whats known as a HAIR TRIGGER...no varmint or sniper rifle should be without a TRUE 2-stage trigger.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
DA, I believe that what you're referring to is a "set" trigger.

A two stage trigger is as previously described…. take up to sear set, to a defined point, then release. Most military triggers have such an arrangement.

my .02
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
DA, I believe that what you're referring to is a "set" trigger.

A two stage trigger is as previously described…. take up to sear set, to a defined point, then release. Most military triggers have such an arrangement.

my .02

This is correct.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
or to think about it another way.
the hammer will fall at a given point during the triggers pull.  on a two stage trigger there is a certain amount of "take up"  that is the movement before the trigger begins to break.  once the trigger begins to break you feel the creep which is the actual trigger and hammer scraping on one another as the hammer begins to fall.  after the break the trigger begins to move to the rear and bottom out on the receiver.  the last part is over travel.
with a single stage trigger all you have is creep and over travel.  

having said this I like my JP trigger.  it is set up AR 3.5 lbs. with no creep and about 1/10" of over travel.  this gives me the ability to tap my finger on the trigger (about 5 times a second) and I get what sounds like full auto fire.  the cyclic rate is about 300RPM (I think full auto is about 600RPM).  all I know is I can dump a 30 round magazine in less than 6 seconds.  the downside of this  is my trigger discipline must be extremely tight to keep me from bumping the trigger during recoil and shooting more that once. but I assure you that the rifle will only fire when you depress the trigger and this is not a full auto or select fire trigger.        
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top