Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 10:55:14 AM EDT
I have a Colt AR that the serial# is in the 1974 range.  I got it in trade and it has the A2 stock and foregrips, A1 sights, flash hider and bayo lug.  I've had it for a few years and it shoots damn fine.  I just want to change it around a little and am wondering what it was originally like.

Question:  What did this rifle come as stock from the factory?

What's it's worth $$ as is or stock?

Considering putting the triangle foregrips on it but like the A2 buttstock.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is a SP1, and it probably is, it had triangular handguards the shorter A1 stock and the non-finger groove pistol grip.  Everything else probably is just as it was.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It says Colt AR15 A2 Sporter II on the left side of the lower receiver.  It has the different size pins and no finger groove on the pistol grip.  It also has no raised rails on the right side of lower and no brass deflector on the upper.

I'd like to put a triangle foregrip on it but leave the A2 butt.

Lower is also lighter in color than the upper.  If that helps.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure that the serial number dates to 1974?  I don't think the AR15A2 is that old.  I have an AR15A2 CAR that came with the A1 style sights, but it was made sometime in the late 1980s.  For a while Colt put the old style sights on the civilian A2s even though the military was getting a different type of sight.  If your AR is from that time frame the A2 type stocks may well be original.  In any case it is a preban and worth quite a bit of money.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It says Colt AR15 A2 Sporter II on the left side of the lower receiver.  It has the different size pins and no finger groove on the pistol grip.  It also has no raised rails on the right side of lower and no brass deflector on the upper.

...snip...

Lower is also lighter in color than the upper.  If that helps.

Looks like one of two things...

Your lower was (probably) made after 1985 (or was it 86). Sporter II's were set up to be like M16A2's; i.e. Round handguards, forward assist, and shell deflector. Those didn't start hitting the market until after they discontinued the SP1's, and that didn't happen until the mid-80's.

Does yours have the forward assist with no brass deflector? Or no forward assist, either?

If yours has no forward assist, it may have been an SP1 upper put onto a Sporter II lower.

I know there are reports of early Sporter-II's coming out of the factory with a mishmash of A1 and A2 parts (front sights, pistol grips, notably)...oh, what kind of rear sight does it have? If both front and rear are A1 sights and the lower says Sporter-II, then it's most likely not the original upper for the rifle.

But, I could be wrong...
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the sporter II came out in the mid 80's sometime, I have an SP1 that is marked AR15 and I think it was made in late 70's early 80's. I don't think Colt made any sporter marked models in 74, but I could be wrong I'm not 100% sure on that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Serial # info from this site has it built in 1974.  I could be reading wrong too.  Here's  some more info directly from the rifle as I'm looking at it.  I've blocked out some of the Ser number but I think it gives enough to see when it was made and might help clear this for me.

Lower has Colt insignia on it, AR-15 A2, CAL. .223, Sporter II, SER. SP 32XXXX, grey, does have finger groove pistol grip, slab side and  A2 Buttstock.

Upper has C  H  on the right side in depression under rear sight, A1 rear sight, round forward assist and no brass deflector.  A2 handgaurds with shields, A1 front sights?, birdcage and bayo lug.

Barrel has O  MP 5.56 NATO on top behind birdcage.

It shoots great.  I'd just like to know what it was original if possible.  I'll try and call Colt and see if they can provide any info too.

Thanks for info so far.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Lower has Colt insignia on it, AR-15 A2, CAL. .223, Sporter II, SER. SP 32XXXX, grey,

Yah, you're misreading it...I know the list is kind of vauge.

You said SP 32XXXX...

in 74, serial numbers for sporter 1's (NOT sporter 2's, which you have...sporter *1*) were

1974 SP32601  
to
    SP43800

now, you said 32XXXX...that is 32XXX

You're missing a number there. :)

Sporter II's were not introduced until the mid-80's.

What you're looking for is this line:

SP360200 and Below

This makes it pre-ban, made before 1994...but made after the last date they mention, 1978.

As it's a Sporter II (as you've said) and as Colt did not make Sporter II's until they retired the Sporter I line in the mid 80's, your rifle is certainly post-1985 manufacture, but before 1994.

For an exact date, you can call Colt, and ask them.

I have a Colt Sporter I Carbine, serial SP 125xxx. It was made in 1985. My father has a Sporter II HBar, Serial SP2xxxxx ...I forget the exact number. A phone call to colt put it at 1988 if I remember right.

Once again, you can call Colt directly and ask them for a date of manufacture. They won't be able to help with the upper, but they can tell you when the lower was made.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My department has an AR-15A2 sporter II that was gifted by a citizen years ago.  It has the slab side, no receiver reinforcements, A-2 stocks, A-1 sites, no forward assist, and no shell deflector.  Barrel is C MP 1/7 5.56 NATO.

I had an instructor once who said he bought the identical gun in the early to mid 1980's.  He apparently still has it, and the S/Ns on the two are close as well.

The "MP" on the top of your barrel are supposed to stand for Magnetic Partical (magnuflux) test being performed and passed after a proof round has been fired.  I don't think that was done way back in '74, but I could be wrong.

I agree with earlier posts.  No way an A2 marked lower receiver was produced in 1974.

Saleen
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I beleive the Colt you have is a green label 6500, I think, not 100% sure, maybe someone else could verify this.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got off the phone with Colt.  They say it was made in 1986 with the A2 stocks and A1 sights.  So I guess it still has the original stuff from the factory.

Does anyone know what it is worth in the current market?

Thanks for all the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top