Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2002 1:17:49 PM EDT
I just got my gunsmith-built DSA FAL. Now, I need consistant, quality .308. Any recommendations? I have looked at the late 70's early 80's, but should I be worried about it? Is it too old?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not too old.  Most NATO ammo should be fine.  I would avoid the CAVIM as it uses some nasty sticky black sealant that is, well.... nasty.

I like the German NATO ammo but most anything will work, as long as it isn't commercial .308.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the club ! For further tips try www.fnfal.com . Oh during hunting season I find that federal soft-points work great on deer around here , you just have to adjust your gas settings and commercial ammo will work just fine .
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell no, FALs digest everything. CAVIM is dirty like KM said, but as long as you scrub the chamber and clean the gas system well, it should not be a problem.

You should be cool with Radway, Port, Hirt, SA, etc.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Cavim will gum up your chamber in less than 50rd.

My friend had case stuck in the chamber because of that ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#5]
My DSA SA58 shoots Radway Green into 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards.  Using iron sights.  For shits and giggles I weighed each round in a 50 round box and found a 3 grain variance.  But as always YMMV.

Marty
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Dont shoot anything that looks green.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies. Where can I get some of this Radway Green? Also, I have been seeing a good amount of this FNM port .308 from the late 70's. I have been told that it is a "copper-wash" over a steel round. Should I worry about this in my FAL? I've heard steel isn't exactly easy on a barrel. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Radway Green is British Military Surplus.  Think of it as England's Lake City and you'll get the idea.  I get mine through my local FFL.  If you check with Ammoman he may have some.  Also check your local gunshow and the Shotgun News.  BTW, stay away from their SS109. IIRC, it is downloaded for the British SA 90 rifles and won't function in anything else.

Marty
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Radway Green is good.
Hirtenberger is good.
Portugese is good.
South African is okay (they are better at making 5.56).
CAVIM is so-so. (runs great in VEPR IIs... it's kinda like Wolf)
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that Gung-Ho summed up most all of the stuff that I've fed through my FN.  I really haven't had any problems getting it to feed any ammo that I've put through it,  but I'd get on www.FNFAL.com 's e-mail list to keep up to date on all FNFAL news....  Once you shoot an FN, it's hard to shoot another .308 without thinking, "I wish that I were shooting my FN right now!".
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Had some reliable Argentinian, name escapes me.

Came in 20 rnd. card baxes, photocopied label w/ rocket like emblem.

non-corrosive, non-reloadable, so no guilt using it in the HK-91.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Watch out for some hard primers on some of the Port ammo.  Reference:

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22764

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW, I believe Radway and South African are the only surplus .308 at this time that is actually copper jacketed. The others use copper washed steel jackets. This may not mean anything for your FAL.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Ammoman has both the Portuguese (Portugoose?) and South African for $179/1000.

You monkeys have a preference?

Looks like with the Portuguese you get a nifty wooden crate to boot.  Boo-ya!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top