Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 5:08:36 AM EDT
I've found an M1 Garand manufactured by Harrington & Richardson that I'm interested in buying.
But, I'm not sure if it would qualify as a C&R purchase. Whatever Garand I get I had wanted to buy it using my C&R license to keep things as simple as possible.

I see that H&R manufactured Garands from 1953-1957 so I'm thinking they wouldn't be included as C&R. Am I missing something that would classify them as a C&R firearm?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I think C&R weapons need to be manufactured before 1947, IIRC.  Thus the H&R could not be gotten using a C&R license.  Pretty much any of the WWII manufactured SA or WRA M1s would be available with the C&R.

RN45, C&R is Curio and Relic license.  Kinda like an FFL, but for old guns or collectible guns.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Princeton, www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm will get you to the ATF's C&R listing.  To be C&R, a gun needs to be either 50 or more years old OR appear on the listing.

RN45, www.cruffler.com will explain it all.  A C&R license is the best $30 you will ever spend.

-hanko

Quoted:
I've found an M1 Garand manufactured by Harrington & Richardson that I'm interested in buying.
But, I'm not sure if it would qualify as a C&R purchase. Whatever Garand I get I had wanted to buy it using my C&R license to keep things as simple as possible.

I see that H&R manufactured Garands from 1953-1957 so I'm thinking they wouldn't be included as C&R. Am I missing something that would classify them as a C&R firearm?

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
From the ATF C&R list:

U.S., Rifle, cal. .30 M1, original military issue only, produced prior to 1956.

So it looks like "most" would qualify as C&R eligible.

The list can be found here:
www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/sec2.htm

rn45,

The following link will explain it all.

www.cruffler.com/whatis.html

Edited to add:  Oops, sorry hanko.  Ya beat me to the punch!  
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I understand the basics of the list but I was hoping for some kind of exemption from the 50 year old clause and Yankee1911 found it for me.

U.S., Rifle, cal. .30 M1, original military issue only, produced prior to 1956.

It looks as though the rifle I'm looking at should qualify as C&R even though it wasn't made until the early to mid 50's.

Thanks
Rob
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
H&R M1's manufactured from 1953-1954 were assigned serial numbers from 4660001 to 4800000.  The second block of serial numbers assigned was from 5488247 to 5793847.  These were made from 1954 to 1956. Records of monthly production of specific rifles were not kept like they were during WWII.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top