Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2002 8:18:08 PM EDT

got an Email from a friend back east, he said the word going around back there is "better buy now, & buy plenty"......

soooooo.., having 30 rounders & not having anythyng to put in them might be a lyttle problem, pre-ban or post-ban.., they both are worthless wythout ammo.......

have you heard any thyng or is this the usual every 4 or 5 months scare about banning ammo.......??

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard one of counter jockeys at the fun store saying something to the effect of "the military gets all of the ammo first so you better stock up." On the other hand, he is one of the biggest morons working there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't see Uncle Sam issuing SA Surplus anytime soon.  Or Black hills for general duty, or winchester 40 grain, or UMC, or PMC......etc.  I'd say it is all talk.  But what do I know.....
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have noticed Cheaper Than Dirt can't keep S&B in stock.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not exactly a complicated process to import ammo and there's plenty out there to import.

The only way the imported ammo can dry up is if:

a)  ATF stops approving importation (Chinese stuff?)
b)  The rest of the world stops making or selling it
c)  Some assclowns in the legislature pass some cost-prohibitive tax on it.

Sure there are dry spells, but there will probably be more ammo.  If this were a real issue, you'd hear about it from the full-auto crowd ASAP.  I doubt the Wolf stuff will go away any time soon given Russia's economy.  The South African battle pack stuff has to dry up sometime, but I doubt the commercial PMP stuff will.  S&B probably won't go away for quite a while for the same reasons the Russian stuff won't.

Oh yeah, I'm "back east" and the only folks crying about a shortage are the brick and mortar places that charge $5 per 20 round box of Q3131A or S&B .223.  I'd use a little FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) to sell some bullets if I were still on the other side of the counter.

Maybe Eric the Ammoman will chyme in.

That affectation with the "y" is annoying like a little mosquito buzzing around my head while I'm trying to concentrate.  Is that the typing equivalent of a lisp or a Harvard clench?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have noticed Cheaper Than Dirt can't keep S&B in stock.

Same here. I'm pissed about that!
I drove all the way out there and they were out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]
just kinda wondering..., how many of you read this in ammo FAQ ?

Q. Where can I get US Military ammo, like M193 and M855?

Due to an Executive Order signed by President Clinton, the US military can no longer "surplus" ammunition, except via the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), and the CMP does not sell 5.56/.223 ammo.  US military ammo (most notably from the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant) used to be widely available, but has become quite scarce and the prices quite high, in the last few years.  Though some military ammo components are "saved" by contractors disassembling the ammo and selling the components, most expired or out-of-spec lots of ammo are burned.  Billions of rounds of ammo, paid for by US tax dollars, are burned yearly.
=============================================

did you read that "Billions of rounds..." ?????

when i read that i got pissedoff !! i am going to be wryting a few letters demanding that EO be cancelled, voided & deleted....!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't notice ammo drying up, I have noticed the cheaper ammo harder to come by. It could be that they are just selling it as fast as it comes in. The trick is you just have to be willing to buy whatever the new flavor of surplus ammo comming into the country at any given time. That or buy so much of the stuff you like so you don't have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#8]
If the Texas gunshows are any indicator.  Don't worry, there's a whole lot of ammo out there.

Joe
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#9]
J_E_D,

The "y" thyng ys quyte aggravatyng and annoyyng.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#10]
learn to reload and this is never an issue
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#11]
you guys shooting s&b might want to search on the problems that ammo has. I've had case separtions with new ammo from them. I won't even shoot it anymore. Junk brass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
J_E_D,

YF nobody mentioned it maybe yt woyld go away.  I don't know why yt put sych a bee in my bonnet.  Maybe I'll start usyng yt to annoy my wyfe when I email her.

BTW, I'm off to buy some UMC .223 at Wally World.  They seem to have plenty.

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#13]
A convoy of Humvees pulled up at my local gun-store.  A Logistics Colonel came in, and bought all the Wolf and PMC.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Same thing happened a while ago but it was with primers. Primer cost got high, almost doubled. Then after about 6 months, primers became plentiful again. The price went down to normal.

I guess this runs in cycles. Guns, ammo, etc. gets hard to find for some reason and the price goes up.

This wouldn't be manufacturing delays on shipping done on purpose to increase cost, would it?

We'll see.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Shucks Partner!  I thought Ya wanted a place to store some...   Dang it!!  I wuz about to suggest you store it at my place...  
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
you guys shooting s&b might want to search on the problems that ammo has. I've had case separtions with new ammo from them. I won't even shoot it anymore. Junk brass.

Bull shit, All I shoot is S&B, No probs, I sell the stuff also, no problems. Hear say on the internet.
GG
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#17]
For to be low, is funny that federal and winchester has overruns of ammo, Im stocking the military, .45,9mm, 5.56mm, because its easily available.
GG
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Gun Guru:

Quoted:

Bull shit, All I shoot is S&B, No probs, I sell the stuff also, no problems. Hear say on the internet.
GG

Yup,no problems to report on this end.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GG

I read something about S&B causing kabooms. Not saying that i had problems with this ammo, but i did read about the kaboom and i did see nasty pics somewhere. Stoped shooting it. Just in case.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
CHECK THE HANDGUNS FORUM
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Reloading 556 is not too efficient use of your time, since that stuff is so inexpensive. Now 308, that is a different ball game.

Maybe the shortages are the result of the WTC/Pentagon attacks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
J_E_D,

yes it is............., for most liberals
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#22]
bigyeti,

i am certain you wud........!!

are you going to the gun show on Saturday ?? don't forget, all pre-ban Bushys are mine !!!

but i am going to be looking for a Colt Combat Carbine also, i have a friend who is looking for one & when i find it, i plan on making him a real sweet deal
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#23]
GunGuru,

"...I sell the stuff also..."

what is the name of your busines ?? what other ammo do you carry ? do you ship ? can you beat Ammoman prices ??

i want to buy 10,000 rnds. of 5.56mm before the end of the year... can you help ?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reloading 556 is not too efficient use of your time, since that stuff is so inexpensive. Now 308, that is a different ball game.

Maybe you could mail-order 5.56 pretty cheap from someone, but I reload for a couple of different reasons: a) I like to know that every round that goes through my guns has passed my rigorous 8 point inspection :)  and b) it's damned inconvenient to run out of ammo and then have to shell out $150 for a new case (to get volume discounts) and then wait for the damn thing to show up on your doorstep.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
GunGuru,

"...I sell the stuff also..."

what is the name of your busines ?? what other ammo do you carry ? do you ship ? can you beat Ammoman prices ??

i want to buy 10,000 rnds. of 5.56mm before the end of the year... can you help ?

Ammo Depot, South Af., Fed., Wolf, Win., Rem., PMC. & CCI, Speer stuff. No. I don't know. If you want to drive to Dallas, I can help.
GG
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GG

I read something about S&B causing kabooms. Not saying that i had problems with this ammo, but i did read about the kaboom and i did see nasty pics somewhere. Stoped shooting it. Just in case.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
CHECK THE HANDGUNS FORUM

I heard that if you have sex with a girl, she can become embarazada, you going to stop doing that too, just in case.
GG
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#27]
CJ!  I'll be there with bells on..  Wait a minute, it'll be a hundred degrees..  Better make that shorts...   No guns this time, unless you see a Stainless pre-ban 10/22..  I'm lookin' for some chamber brushes, ammo and a great price on a RRA 2 stage for my AR-10...   See Ya there...   I'll be there at opening time...
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#28]
It's called supply and demand, the more you demand it the harder it gets to find then the price goes up. That is just the way it is, if you ever notice when someone advertises something as rare or hard to find everybody wants it and then they get more for it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]
bigyeti,
can i line jump if you get there b4 me ?

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#30]
GunGuru,

shucks !!!!!!!!

why don't you take a working vacation to Tucson ?

but dont come wythout ammo......!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
bigyeti,
can i line jump if you get there b4 me ?

YUP!  Long as it works both ways...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top