Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2002 12:26:07 PM EDT
OK, I found it.
It seems these two articles are referenced often enough that I'm going to make them easier to find!

Backing up my statement on the 'Thoughts on Remington 700?' thread:

None other than Carlos Hathcock himself praised the Remington 700 as a great rifle, a modern and mature platform, and even said the 'controlled round feed' issue was a NON-issue.
As for the Beretta, in a test with many other firearms, including the HK MP5 sub-gun, the 92FS and the HK were the only ones that fed, fired and ejected the BAT ammo without a failure.
THAT is why the 700 and 92 are US Military preferred weapons.
They're the best for the job.

edited for:
If I can dig up the articles/magazines to back up my statements, I will. I may have to hunt through a few thousand gun magazines to find them, though...
Some of you may have read the same things.

The first statement was from the Petersen's Guns&Ammo Rifle Shooter 1997 special issue with the red cover and the words LONG RANGE in yellow at the top left.
Page 42 article; CARLOS HATHCOCK: The White Feather Sniper.
Page 45:
'Carlos believes the currently issued Marine Carps sniper rifle, the M40A1 built around the Remington Model 700 actio, is superior to any other military sniper rifle in use anywhere in the world.
He dismisses the controversy about "controlled versus uncontrolled" feeding and other arguments about the merits of a particular bolt action over another.  "The Model 700 is a mature design and an uncomplicated action.  Military armoreres have learned a vairety of ways to enhance the accuracy of the Model 700, and they have much more experience wth the Model 700 than any other type of action." '

Carlos also stated that he like the Unertl copes, but, 'he believes Leupold now makes the best copes for military and police sniper rifles.'
--------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The second article is in the Harris Outdoor Publications SPECIAL WEAPONS For Military & Police, 1999 issue. It has a black cover with red letters and in yellow at the top of the cover is 'SUB-MOA MARKSMAN ARMS R100 .308'.
The cover gun and feature article is the new HK53.
In the lower left of the cover in black letters-BAT AMMO TEST
Our Surprising Results

Page 12 is the BAT Ammo Reliability Test.
Page 14:
Beretta 92/HK MP5 100%

The Beretta 92FS test-
'The Beretta sent al 50 BAT's flying downrange without missing a beat. Thinking that this performance could have been a fluke, I tried another box of 50...then a third...and a fourth.  Each time, the results were the same; the Beretta digested 200 rounds without so much as a hiccup!'

The MP5 test-
'My last 90 BAT rounds-three magazines worth-were fired in semi-auto, 3-round burst, and full-auto modes from the "Navy Model" MP5N.  As with the Beretta M92FS, functioning was flawless!'

Page 15:
'It appears to be that the MP5 and Baeretta hammers have significantly greater mass than the hammers (or striker assembly, in the case of the GLOCK) of the other test weapons.  While light-weight hammers may delver fast lock times, they apparently do not produce enought inertia to consistently ignite unususallly tough primers.  This was confirmed by visual inspection of the misfires; in every instance, the firing pi indent was very shallow, inicating too weak of a blow.'

The other guns tested in the article were:
H&K USP; GLOCK 17; SIG SAUER P226; "T-series" Browning Hi-Power and a new MKIII Hi-Power.
---------------------------------------------

Another aricle in that Special Weapons issue dealt with the Remington 700 LTR, on Page 28, which may help with info needed on the other thread.

I gotta get outta here.
Meeting the family at the cemetery; it's Memorial Day!
Hope this was helpful to some.
Take care.

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Page 12 is the BAT Ammo Reliability Test.
Page 14:
Beretta 92/HK MP5 100%

The Beretta 92FS test-
'The Beretta sent al 50 BAT's flying downrange without missing a beat. Thinking that this performance could have been a fluke, I tried another box of 50...then a third...and a fourth.  Each time, the results were the same; the Beretta digested 200 rounds without so much as a hiccup!'

The MP5 test-
'My last 90 BAT rounds-three magazines worth-were fired in semi-auto, 3-round burst, and full-auto modes from the "Navy Model" MP5N.  As with the Beretta M92FS, functioning was flawless!'

I'm not busting your chops Bus but this was a magazine test and not the results of the US pistol trials. I'll see if I can find any info on the trials but I recall the Beretta being second. IIRC the Glock was not tested by the US.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Understood, Maynard.
What I'm getting at is that no matter who was first in the military tests, in THIS test by Stan Crist, the Beretta had the ability to digest and fire/function this BAT ammo, which is said in the article to be available only on dept. or agency letterhead through Old Western Scrounger.
My point is the Beretta 92 is a helluva pistol and a good choice, regardless of the politics/chicanery involved in the final choice of military pistol.  
I'm sure you're correct in your recollection and would love to see how the best got switched for second best as our military pistol.
It seems that Mr. Crist's article was generated by a "rec.guns" internet discussion involving the BAT ammo and claims made by someone on that forum.  Amazing.
I'll remain firmly entrenched in the Beretta camp, though.

I'm going back over to the other thread with the first part of this post and further relevant information re the Remington vs. Savage.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top