Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2002 1:22:25 PM EDT
What are the rules for transferring a rifle from a resident of one state to that of another.

I bought a pre-ban Bushie from a fellow in another state and he sent it to a dealer in my state (he sent it himself.  He did not go through a dealer).  Now my dealer is refusing to accept it.

Was this legal and legit?  If not, what are my options?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
thats what i hate about dealing in out of state  guns & dealers, will only buy face to face & wythin my state borders !!

your dealer is an asshole..., especially if you've done business wyth him b4.....

pretty simple, it's gotta go back, & resent from FFL to FFL

BUT !! there may be a problem now, your dealer can not send it back to him, he will have to find a dealer to accept it then resend it & my GAWD man the cost is going to sky rocket in shipping fees........!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure what the CT laws are, but I am aware of no federal laws that prohibit an individual from sending his own firearm to a dealer or authorized repair facility in another state.  Some dealers are assholes and only accept from other dealers.  If that is the case here, you should have cleared everything through this guy first.  Technically, the seller should have requested a signed copy of the FFL before sending it.  That also would have sent flags up if your dealer was going to pull this crap.

If he doesn't accept it, fine.  UPS will have to return it to the original sender, and that isn't a problem.  If, on the other hand, your transfer dealer signed for it and the delivery was completed, he's stuck with it.  He could send it back to the original shipper I suppose, but it sounds more like he is holding your property and refusing to complete his end of the contract.  Check to make sure that there are no state laws preventing him from transfering the firearm, and if there aren't you could file on him in small claims court.  This, of coarse, depends alot upon whether or not your state recognizes oral contracts as enforceable.  Chances are, if it is only his personal policy he will choose to complete the transfer and avoid court.  If not, I guess damages could apply.

Whatever the case, never patronize this dealer again.  There are enough good ones out there that don't mind the business and won't mistreat you.

Saleen
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
We have very strict gun laws in NY, but as a non FFL, I have shipped several complete AR15's using UPS. As long as they were being sent to an FFL or for example to Bushmaster Quality Parts for repairs, upgrades etc; it is ok.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I found out that each county has different rules.

I live in Maricopa County in AZ.  Here if the gun is coming from out of state from a private party, the dealer needs to send them a "pawn ticket" and have the seller fill it out "properly" and ship it with the weapon.

Most dealers are not willing to do this since most people will not fill it out properly.

The dealer then needs to hold the weapon for 10 days and do a "stolen weapon" check.

I have heard this from two different FFLs now.

I do not know what the actual law says.

Any AZ FFLs able to verify???
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Your FFL is probably holding out for more money. Get the problem resolved and then find another FFL.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#6]
This was covered yesterday. ffl woes

Jamie
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
In Tucson at least most FFLs are worried that they MIGHT be unknowingly fencing a stolen firearm.

They feel better if it comes from an FFL

I have an FFL that has NO problem receivng from private persons interstate and then transfering the firearm directly to me via 4473 right when it arrives.

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In Tucson at least most FFLs are worried that they MIGHT be unknowingly fencing a stolen firearm.

Someone could just as easily take the stolen gun to the FFL to ship, I doubt to many FFLs would even bother to check before they shipped it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top