Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2002 3:37:03 PM EDT
What exactly is a Sear?  I see people talking about milling them out, or having  drop in sear--im out of the loop!
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
sear 2 [seer ] (plural sears) noun
catch for gunlock:  the catch that holds a gunlock cocked or at half-cock
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
From Merriam-Webster Online
Main Entry: 4sear
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from Middle French serre grasp, from serrer to press, grasp, from Late Latin serare to bolt, latch, from Latin sera bar for fastening a door
Date: 1596
: the catch that holds the hammer of a gun's lock at cock or half cock

In many weapons it is a part of the trigger, in others it is separate and is moved by the trigger.
-------------------------------------------
SGB beat me too it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
If you swing your upper open you will see a vertical hook holding your hammer back and lets go of it when you pull the trigger.  That be it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The drop-in sear that you've heard referenced would probably be the drop-in auto sear (DIAS).  It makes a semi-auto gun go full-auto.  If you have an opportunity to buy one, DON'T until you thoroughly check it out to verify that it's legal.  Possessing one and possessing an AR-15 at the same time is a felony unless the gun is registered as a machine gun.  Check the full auto forum for more info.
[Editid bekaUz I kant sPeL.]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks everyone
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
BUT...!! BUT...!! BUT...!!!

don't ever do what jtw2 apears to have suggested....!!!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER..., DROP YOUR HAMMER ON AN OPEN UPPER !!!

you might damage the mag. well !!! you need the firing pin as a buffer !!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#7]
lol thanks for the advice guys--but since i don't actually own an AR yet---its kind of hard to do that-----not being a jerk just seing the humor in it----i wish i had an AR to worry about screwing up
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
The AR-15 has no sear per-se the front part of the trigger acts as the sear. Auto sears are what holds the hammer back until the bolt carrier pivots it and lets the hammer fall in the M-16 on full auto.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
BUT...!! BUT...!! BUT...!!!

don't ever do what jtw2 apears to have suggested....!!!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER..., DROP YOUR HAMMER ON AN OPEN UPPER !!!

you might damage the mag. well !!! you need the firing pin as a buffer !!!!!!

Good point.  I didn't mean to actually release the hammer with the upper open without easing the hammer down with your fingers.  Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
jtw2,

no problem pal, thats what we're here for..., to help each other & others........
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome back, BOG!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top