Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2002 9:29:56 PM EDT
I just got a Ruger M77 MarkII 300 Win mag for my graduation present.  Does any body make after market muzzle brakes.  This rifle is very light, So I can't shot it comfortable for very long.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You may want to have it Magna-Ported. For high-power rifles, they have 4 ports, two near the muzzle 45 degress from the front sight, and two at the 9 & 3 o'clock. It won't alter the profile of your gun, unlike a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
JP Recoil Eliminators

My demo rifle is a .270 bolt gun which I hold up with the butt plate about one inch from the tip of my nose and pull the trigger. The rifle just taps my nose. You know how punishing it is to fire a high powered light weight hunting rifle off a bench rest. You have to crunch your face into the stock and tension your whole upper body to avoid having the scope permanently imbedded in your skull. Imagine how much your accuracy will improve when you can completely relax and not anticipate that punishing recoil. I have customers who use .300 mags for varmint rifles and fire 100’s of rounds in a sitting. The remaining recoil impulse is nearly linear so sight recovery is almost instantaneous. For police emergency rifle applications, it is possible to spot your own hits.

www.jpar15.com/recoil.htm

Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is another twist to adding a muz break to you'r rifle, I have a 300 WinMag and took it to my local gunsmith and he installed a recoil reducer in the stock, it is a long cylander about 3/4" dia. I believe it cost me around $100, and it tames her down to what would be comperable to a 30-30 lever action.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the tube that you are talking about is filled with mercury.  Benelli sells them for their shotguns.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
where could I find more info on the magna-port muzzle brake.  Scarecrow that muzzle brake is nice but a little too high profile.  The stock on the Ruger is weird it is indented so I don't think I would be able to have any thing installed in it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:34:25 AM EDT
[#6]
destroyer  I have a rem 700 in 7mmrem mag,only about 20 lbs felt recoil.Too much so i put 1&1/2 lbs lead weight in the butstock.  Tammed it down to a pussycat.

Now I just bought a weatherby 300wby mag,It has a brake on it but the brake brings it's 40 lbs felt recoil to 19 lbs recoil, which is not acceptable to me (just like the rem 7mmmag)

So I have added 1&1/2 lbs lead weight to the butstock as well(with out even firing it yet). So I hope this will make it where you can hold the crosshair on target, and not even think about recoil.    

You can take wheel weights,fishing weights,practically any kind of lead and melt it down(about 500 deg) form it to fit in your stock.  It will tame it down for you.

Bob     Edited to say go to magna port.com it's about 195.00 and you have to send your rifle off.  There is another brake for about the same price,you just mic your barrel sent them the specks and they send you the brake.  You use a hot air gun,and it shrinks to fit your barrel.

You can tame it from the back or from the front,its up to you.

Bob    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top