Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2002 1:44:41 PM EDT
How does one remove the front sight assembly from the cocking tube and barrel?  I'd like to refinish them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE , its pressed on I believe . This is a job for a gunsmith only !
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the piece is of no use to me at the moment, and I have two of them, so I honestly don't care if I ruin one.  Though, I would like to try something...any ideas?  I would like to remove them with the intention of refinishing it.  So the hack saw idea isn't going to fly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
SKSguy,  
I've built a G3 from a kit, and I think all you have to do is take a pin punch and punch out the sling attachment (from the other side).  Take the end cap off the cocking tube, and the sight should be free.  Of course, you'll need to get that flash suppressor off, too.  Good luck!  
I think you should be able to get an exploded view of the G3 by searching online.  Even the HK site I think has owner's manuals that are in .pdf format.
Remember, I am not a gunsmith, but my G3 does fire!
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Remove the plug on the end of the cocking tube, then, drill out the spot welds at the rear of the cocking tube (where its welded to the trunion), after that using a dremel tool or a hacksaw cut the stub receiver down the center line (on the bottom side) & using a small cold chisle split the the receiver and peel it away from the trunion. The cocking tube will now be easily removed from the front sight.

Don't drill to deeply in the welds just enough to be able to break them free when you split the stub receiver.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on what receiver you plan to build the rifle with,
1. If your using a aluminum receiver, all you will need to do is remove the old cut receiver from the trunion.

2. if your using a FMP receiver with the trunion and cocking tube attached at the factory then,  Remove the FS by screwing it counter-clock wise.  Then use a punch and drive the front sling loop out( drive towards the eyelet.  Then heat the front sight(it soldered on) and knock the front sight tower towards the muzzle.  Then take a punch and drive the trunion pin out and set the barrel and trunion in a press and press the barrel out.  The cocking tube is welded at the receiver, you will need to grind the weld off to separate the cocking tube from the receiver.  On the cocking handle, pull the handle back to the catch and aline the retaining pin with the holes. Use a punch and drive the retaining pin out and the cocking handle and plug will slide out the slot and back of the tube.

NOTE: Before you do anything to the cut upper, wait until you find a receiver the build with, it will dictate what needs to be stripped and reassembled.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It is an FMP built rifle.
So I can remove the front sight by unscrewing/punching the sling post eyelet out and hammering the front sight assembly forward, toward the muzzle?

Sounds good to me.  I plan on assembling one with a steel receiver and one with an aluminum receiver.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
What can I use for a punch, because it's pretty damn rusted, a hammer and screw driver aren't doing the job (they're only dinging up the eyelet pin and surrounding areas) And to clarify which direction I am going, yes, it is being punched TOWARD the eyelet

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top