Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2002 2:23:21 AM EDT
Which bipod is best suited for the Model SP1? using the least/little/or no modification. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
The M-16 bipod. No modification necessary. Clips right on. I have one (with case) if you want it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
andrew,

if he don't want it let me know & the price !! OK ??
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Since you didn't eally specify what you plan to use the rifle for, with a bipod, I'm going to take a different approach and assume that you're looking for something a lttle more bench rest suitable than the GI unit.  The GI unit is certainly handy to have clipped to your belt when you want to take a longer than anticipated shot out in the field, and I've kept one around for years---but I hardly ever use it. Mostly, when I want to shoot off a bipod, I use my trusty old Harris unit.  Now I don't think that Harris shows a mounting adapter for the old triangular forend, but it really shouldn't be too hard to use one of their existing units and adapt it to the old style fore ends. Remember, the GI unit clamps to the barrel and your point of impact will change when you're essentially resting the rifle on the barrel.  Also if you don't wrap the part of the barrel that the bipod is clipped to with tape, the GI unit will scratch the finish off the barrel.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think you could install a Harris bi-pod on an SP-1, because the split in the handgaurds is on the top and bottom, not on the sides. The holes are larger, too. The plastic around the holes is thin, and probably brittle. You would be trying to pull the mount tight against the heat sheilds and the plastic furniture.

If you got to the range, the handgaurds would likely flex and the bi-pod would break the plastic and fall off. More likely to happen would be that you would ruin the handgaurds trying to do the initial install.

You would need to attach the bi-pod to either the bayonet lug (anyone make one like that?) or the barrel just in front of the handgaurds. Don't know if anyone makes one for that style attachment, either.

I'd suggest the G.I. clamp-on as the best solution, but I scratched two barrels trying different ways to pad the sharp edges on the damn thing. It has very sharp edges where it grabs the barrel, and it will eventually eat through just about anything.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
...Thanks for the help, guys. I do believe that unless I find a good bayonet lug adapter...I'll keep 'sandbagging' on the bench...(to answer anothers' question! lol) Not to excited about finding new handguards at this point. Although I guess I could piece one of my other SP1's out just for spare parts...WTF am I saying?...nahhh!
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I find that the GI M14/M1A bi-pod works pretty good on ARs. You can clamp it to the barrel in front of the bayo lug, and it folds up right next to the handguards. This may not work for the wider M4 type handguards, but I have never tried. It will also work on other guns without any further adapters etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top