Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2002 2:07:33 PM EDT
In North Carolina (the Tarheel State) we have a stupid state law that sez nobody and his brother/sister better transfer a handgun in this state without a pistol purchase permit. This includes inheriting guns after a person dies. The PPP costs $5 if I remember right with 1 pistol per permit (but multiple long guns). Anyway you have to go to the sheriff and state why you want one (i.e. hunting, self defense, collecting, visiting Uganda, ect). Then he does a exhaustive background check, interviewing friends and coworkers. He can deny your permit if he deems you unfit for getting a handgun. Anyway the law CLEARLY states he must keep a record of pistol purchase permitees in a book at the sheriff's dept. Even if you later sell your pistol your still "registered". I am now old enough to get a handgun yet I consider this registration. So does my dad and he suggested I get something else (I'm going to get an AR-15 if the pistol thing doesn't work). Actually he said to forget the pistol idea. I don't have an AR-15 or any kind of handgun (got other gunz). Handguns are more practical but with this PPP thing in NC an AR-15 looks like my only (a darn good!) option. What do you think? Should I get a handgun with a PPP or screw it and get an AR? Can't move. Still in college. Thanks!    CRC
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Take some advice from a Mass resident, IMO you should get the permit, and buy a handgun or two, as laws are only going to get stricter, or stay the same, but high cap mags are getting scarcer.

In 10 or 20 years from now you might well not be able to pick up your chosen brand of semi auto handgun, then purchase some pre-ban high cap mags for it.  Future guns might be restricted, or re-designed to not take old style mags, or old style mags might be completely illegal, except for those who already own them.  Canada, Calif, Mass, and lots of other states allow people to be grandfathered in on lots of good stuff, but no new purchases.

The laws are either going to stay the same, or get stricter, and high cap mags will keep getting scarcer and more expensive.

Get at least one decent one now, 10 years from now you'll be glad you did.

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What County do you live in? I have never heard of this. Even Wake County recently changed there rules and you no longer have to take a friend. I Like the Idea. I get 5 at a time and have about 20 on hand at any given moment. Just because you have a permit you don't neccesarily have a gun. I now have a CCW and it is even easier. E-mail me and I can tell you all the pros and cons depending on the county you live in.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
New York has been that way for over 20 years
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Buncombe up in the mountains.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Man there must be to many "Damn Yankees" moving into that state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top