Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2002 10:21:32 AM EDT
Turkish 8mm mausers are pretty cheap. (ammo too) I understand they are very accurate. I thought it might be cool to have a working C&R rifle that can punch big holes at 200 yards. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I have been checking out the C&R rifles lately.

Does anyone know where I can go to find out more about them?  Any other cool C&R rifles I should consider?

No flames please, all my spare AR parts are now assembled in something and I am broke.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
ive been thinking the same thing. for about $100 i can have a (turkish) mauser and a russki moisin '91. for another 150 i can get an smle. 3 major ww2 type main battle rifles for $300. such a deal!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, what is a "smle"?  I found a source for Turks selling "Very Good" @ $49.00 and "Good" for $39.00 and Nagant '91 for $69.00 and $39.00.
Ammo is dirt cheap @ 760 8mm rounds for $45.00. Plus shipping costs.

Hope someone pipes in with some info, otherwise I might have to spend $100 or so and try this stuff out.

Nothing will every replace my black guns though! Just a cool conversation piece.  My neighboor is a 77 year old WWII vet with several 1911's and a collection of personally aquired Nazi bayos.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Turk mauser which I dumped.  Quality and appearance were subpar.  I ended up with a yugo mauser 48A which was cheap ($99), clean and accurate as heck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
We have military bolt rifle matches @ the club once a month.  I shoot a Nagant 91-30 and Dad has a Yugo Mauser 8mm   It's fun and almost as cheap as shooting an sks.  Take a look @ the schmidt ruebens.  They are also very accurate.  If you get a shooter you will be surprised how accurate all of the above rifles are.   We shoot iron sights @ 200,300,500 & 600 yards.  I even keep em in the black.  Buy a Past recoil pad to stap over your jacket.  The rifle kick like #&!!.  
ODCMP has some Springfield 03's and 03A3's They cost a bunch more but have very nice sights.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, this is good, I saw the yugo M48's too, from $77 to $99.  Still don't know what a "smle" is?  Anyone else have any wisdom?
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OK, this is good, I saw the yugo M48's too, from $77 to $99.  Still don't know what a "smle" is?  Anyone else have any wisdom?

Short Magazine Lee Enfield.  Main British battle rifle of WWI and into WWII.  A neat piece of history, and not expensive.  Do a google search on  smle  and you'll get more than you can absorb in a few days.  A nice trio to look out for might be an SMLE, 03A3, and KAR98.  I have one of each, the 03A3 and KAR98 perfect, and the SMLE almost; all bring-backs from my father-in-law from WWII.

If you looking for one now, Dennis Kroh www.empirearms.com would be a good place to start.  Not cheap, but Dennis hand selects what's on his websie.

See www.cruffler.com for info on how to get your Curio and Relics License.  That way they can be delivered to your door (except in the fvcking PRK).  Use my email if you've got more questions.

-hanko

Edited due to a possible excess of cerveza...
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Still don't know what a "smle" is?

It's usually spelled with all caps, like SMLE, and pronounced smelly.  You can have a smile on your face when you tell your friends you just bought a smelly rifle .  SMLE stands for Short magazine Lee Enfield.  Most people just call it an Enfield.  Lee-Enfields were the standard British arm for many years, and I think it was made in England from 1895 until 1954.  SMLE was one model of the Enfields.  India continued production of them for a couple of decades or more after that.  It's a bolt action rifle that is, ummm, awkward looking.  It fires a round called the 303 Brit.  It's a little less powerful than the 8mm Mauser that the Mauser shoots or 308 that we still use in M-60 machine guns and in the old M-14's.  Most of the Enfields I've seen are $150+, so you're probably better off getting a Turk or other Mauser.  Also, the ammo for the Turks is much cheaper and easier to find.  Some people just like the looks of the SMLE.  I like it, because it can double as a club if you run out of ammo.  If you go to a search engine and type-in "SMLE" or "Lee-Enfield", you'll find more info than you can read and a few pictures.

No flames please

If anyone flames you for asking about a good, cheap, reliable rifle, I'll flame them back for you.z
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
www.milsurpshooter.com

I have 2 Yugo M48A's and a M48BO(all pristine from AIM).  8mm is a cannon!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top