Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2002 7:09:31 PM EDT
I have noticed this a couple times-- you can take two boxes of ammunition, by the same manufacturer. One box is .223 cal, and the other is 5.56mm. Why is the 5.56mm usually polished/burned/something on the neck of the case? Makes it look like used ammo since its not shiny new and uniform in color as compared to the .223 cal... why?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The markings you are talking about it cause by a process called anealing.  The Military buys ammo that fires.  Comercial ammo must look "pretty."  5.56 is Mil spec, .223 is for civilian (more than likely for matches)
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info-- here I thought it was crappier ammo based on looks... (<G> where have I heard that kind of statement before....?) hehe
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Didja try the Ammo FAQ at the top of the Ammo Forum?

-Troy

As a matter of fact, I did find that link in one of the topics, before I posted this. (www.ecis.com/~mraudio/AR15_Ammo_FAQ.htm) I clicked on it (just tried it again too) and it just sits there loading... and loading... and loading.... and loading..... never did get to the actual answers to the questions-- only saw questions. Clicking on the links indicates the answers are on the same HTML page, which means I have to wait forever to get the page to load, and it never loads... (I am on a slow connection-- but its not that slow)
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Energizer, I highly suggest you go back and give the FAQ another chance.  Let it all download, it is worth the wait.  That FAQ is extremely educational.  It should be required reading for ALL AR15 enthusiasts!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top