Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2002 4:27:12 PM EDT
Can someone post a basic description of the standard US Army rifle qualification course to include targets, distances, times, firing positions, scoring, etc, or a link to such a ddescription.

Thanks in Advance,

Doug
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Its really very simple:

40 rounds: 20 rounds standing in foxhole, 20 rounds prone.  There is no 'scoring' per se, a hit is a hit.  You must score 26 hits to qualify as marksman.

Depending on where you qualify, you have one of two ranges you shoot on:

1 - 300 meter 'lane' with mechanical pop-up silhouettes on the left and right sides interspersed at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 meters.  They pop up, you shoot them down.  They stay up for 1 to several seconds depending on the range.  A computer records your hits.

2 - especially in reserve and support units - a large paper target at 25 yds.  On this target are several silhouettes intended to represent the size of normal silhouettes at the varying ranges.  You get a certain time limit to take all 20 shots from each position but can put no more than 4 (IIRC) holes in each silhouette.  Achieves the same effect I guess but, let me tell you, it is a much more accurate test of your skills when you are actually swinging your rifle back and forth across the lane and trying to engage two targets that pop up together before they fall down.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to this site, they sell the AQT targets here real cheap!

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea,the shooting in a Kelvar helmet takes a little getting used to but its worth the effort. I am starting try aiming with my AR while wearing my gas mask and hood.I kinda like shooting wearing my PASGT flak jacket,takes all the recoil and helps with getting a bead on my next shots.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 4:26:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh, memories. 40 out of 40 every time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]

FMJunkie is right on, except the minimum standard is 23.

Another difficult thing about the pop-up range is the targets are OD green.  Often times one will pop up and you won't see it until it's to late.  

The alternate qualification is easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top