Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2002 5:15:19 PM EDT
I've decided on the bushmaster M4 A3 upper for my bushy lower I'm putting together, but now I have to decide on barrel length.  I'd really like to get the 16", but is there an overriding reason to get the 14.5 with the mini-comp?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Besides the fact it looks KEWL...? No. I do have the M4 with the 14.5 and the mini y. despite all the commentary by "experts" it shoots great, and is darn accurate. Though I am spot on at 25-50 yards with an aimpoint, its still able to group 2-3" at 100, as long as I do my part!

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It's gotta be a total length of 16" anyways.  Might as well get that little extra oomph that the 16" will give you over the 14.5".  This will give you a slightly longer effective range for the 5.56, and maybe even a slight edge in accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
99% of the people here can live without a compensator.  They are usually the ones that say they are too noisey or that a AR doesn't need them, and that's fine.  If you just do occasional plinking then you won't need the Mini Y and you won't loose tha 50-60 fps velocity as you would out of the shorter 14.5 inch barrel and your neighbors at the range won't give you dirty looks when you part their hair ever time you fire the carbine.  If you don't like the look of a plain muzzle they for another 100 or so bucks you can ship your upper to Kurt's Kustom Firearms and have him press on a fake flash supressor.  This will keep the total length of the barrel at 16 inches.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Since it's a post-ban, I'd recommend the 16" M4 barrel, with optional pressed-on fake flash suppressor (send it to Kurt for this).

Had it been a pre-ban, where you'd want a working FS, and might want to mount a bayonet (since you *could*), I'd go with a 14.5" with Phantom.

-Troy

Thanks Troy,

I'm gonna pass on the fake suppressor, but the 16" is what I have decided on.  No use in wasting the extra couple inches with stuff I really won't use if it has to 16" in leanght anyway.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the 14.5" with a Kurts Kustom KKF A3 Tac Brake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Go with whichever has the greater "evil" factor, or the greater "piss off a Liberal" factor.

Stated another way, always get whichever has the greater chance of being outlawed.

(Always remaining legal and all, of course)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top