Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2002 1:35:53 PM EDT
I am seriously desiring a 44 magnum launching platform based on the single action Ruger Bisley with adjustable sights. I am really attracted to the durability of the ruger frame and simplicity of a single action. I have also heard that percieved recoil is not as severe on the bisley design than double action revolvers. My only problem is the barrel length. I am not very excited about packing around a revolver with 7.5" bbl while backpacking. How feasable is it to spin off the original barrel and put on a shorter tube? Should i just trim the original barrel and re-set the front sight? Would the re-solder be strong enough to withstand recoil? I think I want a 5.5" barrel.

Karl
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Karl:  I own a SS 4 5/8 Vaquero.  Prior to purchase, I was told that I could order standard or Bisley frame.  Shop  may habve been mistaken, but I thought I'd pass along.  BTW, my Vaquero w/ fized sights, shoots wonderfully.  Accuracy is excellent, and recoil is very manageable.  ZT
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Either Force 44 or silver solder will hold your front sight quite well. It is not too difficult to cut a 7 & 1/2 inch barrel to 5 & 1/2 inches. E-mail if any questions. JarheadGunner.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this what you're looking for?

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4027169
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
www.ruger-firearms.com/

www.ruger-firearms.com/rvpages/rh445.html

The Ruger Redhawk in 5.5" bbl. form is an excellent choice for your caliber/size requirements.
The added bonus of a quicker firing system speaks for itself.
I chose one in .44.

Just an idea.
Happy shopping.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Who makes a double action with a bisley style grip for added control? My brother has a redhawk in 44 mag and he loves it.

Karl
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top