Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2002 4:22:33 AM EDT
I have a little bit of everything but there are a few pistols I have yet to buy. I like the duty size pistols and calibers between 9mm through .45 Auto. That said what would make a good new edition...taking reliability, accuracy and handling into account? The Beretta 92/96, Glock 17/22 or a pistol my dealer tried to sell me a few days ago....something called a "Baby Eagle" in .40 caliber? I really want another .40 but just don't know which to get. Info on these pistols would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You NEED a H&K USP Compact in .40 S&W.

It should have two mags, the original case and manual. It should be in excellent condition.

Hey - guess what??? (Yer NOT gonna beleive this!!!!) I just happen to have just such a firearm. And its yer lucky day, cuz its fer sale - $650!!!!!(or trade for a Rem 700 PSS)

Here's a pic...

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
For a low-end and a high-end solution, I recommend either the Glock 22 or the SIG P229.  I have both and the performance of both is flawless.  The ability of the G22 to accept the Insight M3 light is a big plus, although a lot of others (HK, SW, Springfield XD) have included this feature, too.  SIG mags are hard to come by, and the G22 is only a little better, but you CAN find them, if you look.

The Baby Eagle is the latest incarnation of the Jericho 941 made available around 1990.  It's based on the CZ75 design.  Fired one about a month ago, and it's a heavy little sucker, but accurate.  I'm not sure about mag availability or interchangeability with other models, though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#5]
GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK I HAVE SHOT THEM ALL GLOCK IS THE CLEAR WINNER PRICE MAGS CAP WHAT AND CDNN HAS DEMO MAGS 15 RD GLOCK 22 MAGS FOR 69 AND 79 BUCKS THEY WORK GREAT ANY AMMO AND TIME ANY PLACE . OR SIG OR H&K JUST LOOK AT US MILITARY OR LAW ENFORCEMMENT WHAT DO 90% OF COPS CARRY I LOVE MY GLOCK HAVE CARRY IT FOR 6 YEARS WITH A CWL IN OKLAHOMA .I LIKE 40 S&W THE BEST OR 357. SIG SWEATING WILL MOWING LAWN AT NO CLEANING ALL SUMMER TRY THAT WITH A SIG IT WILL RUST. SHOT IT 1000000000 TIMES AND NO MESS FIRE THAT IS GLOCK TO YOU CAN KILL ONE GLOCK THAT GLOCK WITH A G
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK I HAVE SHOT THEM ALL GLOCK IS THE CLEAR WINNER PRICE MAGS CAP WHAT AND CDNN HAS DEMO MAGS 15 RD GLOCK 22 MAGS FOR 69 AND 79 BUCKS THEY WORK GREAT ANY AMMO AND TIME ANY PLACE . OR SIG OR H&K JUST LOOK AT US MILITARY OR LAW ENFORCEMMENT WHAT DO 90% OF COPS CARRY I LOVE MY GLOCK HAVE CARRY IT FOR 6 YEARS WITH A CWL IN OKLAHOMA .I LIKE 40 S&W THE BEST OR 357. SIG SWEATING WILL MOWING LAWN AT NO CLEANING ALL SUMMER TRY THAT WITH A SIG IT WILL RUST. SHOT IT 1000000000 TIMES AND NO MESS FIRE THAT IS GLOCK TO YOU CAN KILL ONE GLOCK THAT GLOCK WITH A G

I wanna know who makes your coffee.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you happen to have a 1911 style pistol? If you do not and would like a reliable, classic pistol that shoots great you would be wise to consider one. I just got a Kimber Super Match (not cheap), and cannot shoot the damn thing enough. The small grip and manageable recoil make this a really fine gun to shoot. For the record all the other suggestions are good too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Spell check
Grammar check
Reality check
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Beretta:

96 variant or Cougar 8040.
The new 9000 series allows mag interchangability with the 92/96 series, but, the safties work opposite ways.

I like the looks of the Cougar 8040F.

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy what is comfortable in your hand and something that will fit your needs and budget. If I had to limit myself to one handgun it would be my GLOCK 23. They work, they are lightweight and simple.

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Sig 226 in .40

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Alchemy Arms "Spectre"

This is a 45acp hybrid, that actually shoots like a 9mm.  It combines the best of both the 1911's and Glock's, yet leaves the worst features behind...

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spell check
Grammar check
Reality check

Yeah okguy needs to GET A LIFE!
You can just smell the stench of internet lowlife. The all caps and no punctuation gives it away. I bet this guy looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy (all white, not tanned at all).
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#17]
What you need is the Browning HiPower in 9mm or 40S&W.  It scores very high marks for reliability and accuracy and the handling is the best available.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spell check
Grammar check
Reality check

Yeah okguy needs to GET A LIFE!
You can just smell the stench of internet lowlife. The all caps and no punctuation gives it away. I bet this guy looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy (all white, not tanned at all).

Sniper, you forgot the comma...Yeah okguy needs to GET A LIFE!

The only reason I posted that is because I did the same thing to a (probably now 'former') buddy.  He hasn't e-mailed me back for a couple of weeks now.  I really pissed him off!
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Just get something that will allow you to shoot the eye out of a dick at 100 meters
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#20]
You won't go wrong with a .45 ACP 1911. Take a look at a Springfield.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#21]

KYimports

15-Shot, Factory Night Sights, 1) 10 rd. Magazine Included, (Very Good Condition in Box)  $389.99

Here's the one I got from them recently

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#22]
If you get a glock make sure you have good insurance so your family has something to live on when it blows up in your face  Get an HK.  The glock would be a HK if left in the womb for the entire gestation period.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#23]
www.cdnninvestments.com sells the baby eagle for $270, which makes it the cheapest gun of the one's you listed.

Personally I love my Beretta 92, the thin never jammed once, and when loaded with Corbon ammo it very lethal.

One thing to keep in mind, the Army was using the Beretta 92F, and lately they switched over to the Sig 226.  These are the most reliable guns.  The other people who attest to guns are cops. they like glocks because they are lightweight.  If you want a lightweight gun, get a polymer, but if you want the best weapon, a military grade weapon, get the Beretta or sig mentioned above.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Garandman,

Thanks for your offer. I wouldn't mind having an HK USP of some sort...but the last time I was at my shop the dealer there was selling them new for about $575.00! I would probably have to go with that price, this guy is hard to beat.

Anyway I have narrowed my choices down to the Sig P-226 , Beretta 96, Glock 22 or HK USP in .40 caliber. I too like the Brownings and 1911's but I already have one of those and I just want a new toy to play with. But in fact I just really prefer something other than single actions for carry. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Garandman,

Thanks for your offer. I wouldn't mind having an HK USP of some sort...but the last time I was at my shop the dealer there was selling them new for about $575.00! I would probably have to go with that price, this guy is hard to beat.

That's an EXCELLENT price, from a dealer. go for it!!!!!

Anyway I have narrowed my choices down to the Sig P-226 , Beretta 96, Glock 22 or HK USP in .40 caliber. I too like the Brownings and 1911's but I already have one of those and I just want a new toy to play with. But in fact I just really prefer something other than single actions for carry. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just one more suggestion - Sigs are incredible. That's basically the reason I'm selling the H&K. It doesn't shoot near as good as my Sig.

Two pieces of advice for teh road -

1. Like was said, the MOST important thing is that it feels good in your hand.

2. TEST DRIVE BEFORE YOU BUY (if at all possbile) Find someone who's got one, and see if they'll let you shoot it.

Best of luck,

g.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
www.cdnninvestments.com sells the baby eagle for $270, which makes it the cheapest gun of the one's you listed.

Personally I love my Beretta 92, the thin never jammed once, and when loaded with Corbon ammo it very lethal.

One thing to keep in mind, the Army was using the Beretta 92F, and lately they switched over to the Sig 226.  These are the most reliable guns.  The other people who attest to guns are cops. they like glocks because they are lightweight.  If you want a lightweight gun, get a polymer, but if you want the best weapon, a military grade weapon, get the Beretta or sig mentioned above.

When did the Army switch to P226's???  Sure thought that was a Beretta M9 on my hip this past weekend.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#27]

When did the Army switch to P226's???  Sure thought that was a Beretta M9 on my hip this past weekend.

It is my understanding that the Beretta M9 (92F) remains the military's primary sidearm. The Sig is used also though. It has been approved for use by CID personnel as well as some higher ranking officers. The weapon designation is the Sig P228 9mm which I believe is referred to as the M11 or M12 one or the other. And of course the SEAL's have the Sig P226's, some Delta guys pack custom 1911's and the SOCOM command has the H&K SOCOM .45 at it's disposal.....so there are many handguns in use in the military it seems.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#28]
No collection is complete without a Browning HiPower 9mm
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I personally like the Sig 225.  It is the finest 9mm I have ever shot and owned.  Try one out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top