ROTFLMAO !
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
oh god now

someone for the good of the gene pool

remove toad from it
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#3]

it is a whole new upper the gas system is tossed out and replaced with an Hk G36 style pistol system

I would hope someone would at least know the difference between a pistoL and a pistoN, especially when they are involved in the firearms business.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]

yes the gun will use mini me and saw links for the 223 and rpd links for the 7.62*39

"Mini me" links?  Are those made by Dr. Evil?

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to have belt-fed AR, but I'm not holding my breath for these guys. They don't even have a prototype made yet. Many others have tried and at least gotten to the prototype stage before failing.
They want to start production around July!?!?!

Isn't the SW they refer to Special Weapons, the company that makes the really crappy HK knockoffs??? From what I heard about SW I wouldn't trust what they build. I think this is a joke....

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
i just hope this guy is joking

"hk4evr

Wow!
It seems that every time I turn around I see another product that I just can't live without. good job Todd and Special Weapons."

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope that the boys at ARES Defense use this as an incentive to finally release the Shrike upper. Damn thing looks too good. Maybe Robarm will also decide that the time is here to release his belt-fed upper for the R96.

JerrY
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Why do pople keep thinking that SW is a great company?

What a bunch of ass kissers on that board.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the kit is an upper ready to pin in place and a mag insert that will hold a ammo box on the side. This is just too cool!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is going to be ALOT of stress on an the lower? Even 100 linked rounds weighs ALOT... It would be putting alot of pressure on the side of the lower and mag catch.... Maybe I am missing something?

-Jared
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Did anyone notice one poster whose name is:

Hugh Jass

Say it fast enough and its Huge Ass!!!!

LMFAO
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#11]
As far as the 100 linked rounds weighing alot, I agree, but its not much different from a 100 round Beta C mag. So THAT part shouldn't be a problem...........
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd love to have belt-fed AR, but I'm not holding my breath for these guys. They don't even have a prototype made yet. Many others have tried and at least gotten to the prototype stage before failing.
They want to start production around July!?!?!

Yep but I bet Toad,er Todd is accepting orders & money now.......
echo6
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Special Weapons.

They make the HK knokoffs.

Poor quality guns, poor customer service, basically stay away. FAR away.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope they don't cast their major components like their SW5 potmetal receivers.  I'm finished buying cast garbage.

This sucks because I REALLY want a SHRIKE not Toad's TURKEY.  If he gets the quality half way right and offers a chrome lined barrel that isn't impossible to change then this could be what I end up going with.  I don't have very high hopes for this.  What are the odds that it will run with a carbine stock and be available with a 14.5" barrel?

I guess it's time to start buying 5.56mm links.

GarryOwen, you guys REALLY need to build one of these and do it better than SpeWdunky.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
While many others have tried and failed, a true innovator has stepped up to the challenge!

hk-54.com/forums/showthread.php?s=d853173afe78e2529f3a44c8b14b5c3e&threadid=1006

I remembered the belt fed thingie that is in 8mm mauser and it required a FFL, and I to this day wonder why the heck would someone make an AR upper and make it require FFL, might as well make a complete gun out of that...
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I must be and dreaming... but did you say SW has a belt fed upper for the AR15?!

When one mentions SW, all you get is back and forth.  The make and I'm they still have $$$$ for RnD.  I'd like to see a pic of a WORKING model......

(SNIFF) For a moment, I thought that SOMEONE REPUTALBE actually built something worth while....
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally posted by J_E_D
....offers a chrome lined barrel that isn't impossible to change then this could be what I end up going with.  I don't have very high hopes for this.  What are the odds that it will run with a carbine stock and be available with a 14.5" barrel?

Posted by Toad...we are looking at a pinned barrel not quick change due to loss of accuracy

I think this answers your barrel change question.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:04:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I read his statement about a "pinned" barrel the first time.  One of my gripes about HK stuff is the "pinned" barrels.  You may not care but I do.

I also don't care to give SW/Top Crotch/Toad's kissin cousins any money at all, but in the case of a working belt-fed upper with a chrome lined barrel I might have to make an exception.  I especially like the idea of 7.62x39mm due to cost.  

The reason I get excited about a belt fed is because I have an M16.  Now, would you rather have an M16 with a relatively functional belt fed upper or 8 semi-auto $800(?) CAV-15 rifles?

Don't take that as a knock on the CAV-15.  Take it to mean that my opinion is that one full auto trumps any number of semi autos of the same type.  I sold all my semi and pre-ban crap to get my M16.

I'll give SW et. al. a sale if it means that ARES Defense will get their asses in gear and make the Shrike sometime in the next decade.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm sorry to say, but I agree w/ Garryowen.  If Todd does get something out cheap and it happens to work most of the time... I'd get it just to tinker.... in hopes of making it work.

The biggest thing right now is, we (as in the Firearms enthusiasts(sp)), have seen 'prototypes' by company X and Y.  And they say it'll be sold at W date at R price.  But if you look at some of those belt feds, they're in pre ban config (does no good for me).  And their promis of selling soon..... ends up in the same place.  There is still no 223 belt fed avail for sale (at least to civilians).

If Todd comes out w/ one and actually builds and sells it......

AIR BAG ENGINEER  Yikes.  The thought of him being associated w/ the air bag in my car.....  

Granted, if he is that good, he should have left the PR work and 'financial' end of SW to someone else and he should have just stayed in RnD.....
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Gary???

When was the MG34 kit declared a gun??

It does not seem to say anything on their website.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When was the MG34 kit declared a gun??

The site says it requires an FFL.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Actually Urban Armory has Semi-M249 S.A.W's for sale but they run around 8K, and there has been successfully AR-15 belt fed guns but there is only something like 100 of them in existence and at around 10k a piece they amount to nothing more than a flagrant waste of money.

Maybe It's time to resume the Phone Call campaign to Ares? Blackburne VA still falls into my Long Distance plan on my Phone.

JerrY

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my AR15, but why pay $1800 for a half assed upper when a browning 1919A4 can be bought for a little over $2000 with tripod if you're an NRA or GOA member www.usord.com/m1919a4.htm

www.usord.com/semiauto.htm
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I love my AR15, but why pay $1800 for a half assed upper when a browning 1919A4 can be bought for a little over $2000 with tripod if you're an NRA or GOA member www.usord.com/m1919a4.htm

Half a$$ed.... true.... but if one could make it work... no one would know you have it since it's not a weopon....only a part.  Just like the Ferret 50 (50 call) upper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#27]
At least someone is doing it! Even if it is a unrespectable guy, if he can make a working prototype, I am going to have to say I am all for him. Ares shrike NEVER shot a single bullet, word has it, they only had a model for display, not a working one. And lets face it, the Shrike project is DEAD. They don't have a website, not even there so called new one has been made in what has now been something like 1 and a half years.

As for the Robarm belt fed, are we all still dreaming? They fucking can't keep up with their present orders and the refuse to hire more people. Even their 7.62X39 model at shot show was the original non firing version they made when they started off the company. They still haven't even came thru on that!

If he can make it work, and work properly I am all for it, however if he makes a shit ass rifle that jams every other round I hope someone drives a car over his face for taking advantage of the AR owners who for the past 5 or more years have been dreaming of this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#28]
"honest to god mechanical engineer sought after by the air bag industry"?

well i really think the devil(satan, bilsebob etc!) has turned him to the firearms industry.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Because if it's an AR15 belt-fed upper, you will also be able to use it in select-fire with an M16 lower.

Can't do that with the semi-auto versions of the 1919, Robarm, M60, SAW, ...
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the kit is an upper ready to pin in place and a mag insert that will hold a ammo box on the side. This is just too cool!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is going to be ALOT of stress on an the lower? Even 100 linked rounds weighs ALOT... It would be putting alot of pressure on the side of the lower and mag catch.... Maybe I am missing something?

-Jared

You are missing something.  The gravity in Todd's shop is significantly less than elsewhere on the face of the planet, so the weight due to ammo creates less stress than one might think.  Consequently, the gravity reduction causes too much blood to go to his head, which causes swelling of the brain.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Jared

You are missing something.  The gravity in Todd's shop is significantly less than elsewhere on the face of the planet, so the weight due to ammo creates less stress than one might think.  Consequently, the gravity reduction causes too much blood to go to his head, which causes swelling of the brain.

Well then, it's up to the creative people to improve on his designe!!! GASP!!! People actually modifing the perfect designe that the great engineer Todd has come up with....

Modify the handguards...add something to the pistol grip.....
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#33]
What good is a belt fed gun with a pinned barrel.  If I get a belt feed I want some sustained firepower.  How accurate is that barrel going to be after it gets cherry red?
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Come on guys, this is coming from a guy (disregarding all his previous failures and shady behavior) that has taken about 4 months with customers' money in hand and STILL hasn't shipped a simple plastic stock kit for the SL8.

I'm just waiting for the day that Todd disappears off the face of this planet with a handful of customer money for all these 'soon to be released' products...
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Come on guys, this is coming from a guy (disregarding all his previous failures and shady behavior) that has taken about 4 months with customers' money in hand and STILL hasn't shipped a simple plastic stock kit for the SL8.

I'm just waiting for the day that Todd disappears off the face of this planet with a handful of customer money for all these 'soon to be released' products...

Quite true.... but if Garryowen says that there is a chance..... no matter how hard I want to beleive it..... well...... I trust Garryowen's word.  He knows Toad...err.... Todd.  I just go by what I have read.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#36]
The MG34 upper for the AR15 is a firearm all on its own because it uses part of an actual MG34 reciever.  It would be like an FAL-knock off (upper is the firearm) that used the fire control area of an Ar15 lower (I know its very unlikely, but its the easiest example I could think of), the modified AR lower would also require a 4473 and background check.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top