Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2002 11:50:08 PM EDT
I was checking out a display at the Pima county fairground gunshow in AZ this last weekend.  Nice display of Armalites and Rock River Arms AR15's.  I notice this kid who says to the seller that he wants to buy an AR15 but his parents don't want him to have one.  The kid is 19 and he plans on buying a used Olympic Arms plinker from another dealer for $550.00 because he just wants to shoot the rifle for 6 weeks before he goes in the service.  

He has it in his head that he can become an expert marksman if he just spends 6 weeks shooting this gun.  He asks the dealer of the Armalites and RRA's if he could get 60-70% back of his money if he shoots the gun for a couple of weeks just to learn how to shoot.

The dealer says he could probably get all of his money back on a good gun if he holds it awhile but he is not in the market of renting guns and would not buy it back from the kid as used.  I slide up to the kid and tell him that he would be better off buying the Flat-top 16" Rock River Arms gun laying on the table at $669.00 than a used gun and I tell him that out of 3 Colts, a DPMS, and a RRA gun that I own, the RRA is one of my favorites.

Let's see, RRA 16" flattop with accessories that the kid has to buy, 6 weeks of shooting what ammo he can afford, how much can the kid abuse the gun in 6 weeks?

I give the kid my phone number and tell him to call me in 6 weeks and if he doesn't abuse the gun too bad I will buy it from him at a price I will set that will recover 60-70% of his money for him.  I have already notified my FFL dealer friend that I have this kid who may want to get rid of a 6 week old AR and someone I work with has been asking me to help them locate a good deal.

I am going to offer the kid about 60-65% of what he paid as he was asking and attempt to get the gun for under $500.00.  I am anxiously awaiting his phone call.

By the way, later on I walked by the dealer and he called me over to thank me for helping him with the sale.  He didn't want the kid to get in trouble with his parents, but at 19 the kid is an adult and has already enlisted in the service.  I feel I am giving the kid a chance to recover some of his money and it would cost him as much to rent an AR at the range as much as he wants to shoot in the time period he has.  I also told him that if he held the gun he could probably make a profit on it but the kid just wanted to use it and get rid of it before going into the service.

Hope he calls me.  I might even keep it, but who needs 6 AR's?  
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
"who needs 6 ARs"

me..............!!

i got 6 now & looking for 6 more !!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
OK-- that's it. I'm printing up this thread and laying it on my wife's pillow tonite.  She thinks I'm a nut case for building up another AR (M4gery) and it'll ONLY BE MY THIRD.  Thanks guys. Now she'll see that I'm not the wierdo she thinks I am.  Heck, compared to you guys, I'm positively sane  

Course I don't know what I'm going to do when I get to number 7 or 8.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK-- that's it. I'm printing up this thread and laying it on my wife's pillow tonite.  She thinks I'm a nut case for building up another AR (M4gery) and it'll ONLY BE MY THIRD.  Thanks guys. Now she'll see that I'm not the wierdo she thinks I am.  Heck, compared to you guys, I'm positively sane  

7 or 8... try 17 including a few stripped lowers and a few lower halfs waiting to be built out.  What would she think of me?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
You got to give the kid credit for wanting to learn to shoot, in 6 weeks he can learn the basic operations of the rifle and how to handle it, at least that way he will know something about AR15 rifles.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If he shoots is 1-2 times a week for 6 weeks and takes it very seriously, he could potentially become very, very good. All depends on how serious he is about the whole thing and his concentration.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I am sure your intent is only to help, but I would feel like I was taking advantage of the guy giving him 60-70% which comes out to 390.00 for a 6 week used AR.  He will probably like it so much he will decide to keep it. Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Thought a person had to be 21 to purchase a firearm.

Or is that a "state" law.  I am thinking that its "federal" thought...?????
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Long gun 18. Handgun 21.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]
My Wife knows I'm nuts and I just buying my 1st one...lol  Trucker
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]

who needs 6 AR's?  

Well, I suppose six might be enough for some people. I know people that don't even shoot who have six.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Long gun 18. Handgun 21.

I stand corrected........

Thanks "justy"
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
speaking of age requirments for buying a gun... I was at a dealer recently to put in an order for a stripped lower reciever. But the clerk told me id have to get my Dad to order the thing for me. You see he said that state law said that I @ aged 18 could order the part. BUT federal law supposedly says I have to be 21 to order the part. In fact he said that although state law says- "longgun=18, handgun=21" that federal law says somthin else. And according to the clerk THEY follow federal law ""only"" so as to "not get into trouble."

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Am I right?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am sure your intent is only to help, but I would feel like I was taking advantage of the guy giving him 60-70% which comes out to 390.00 for a 6 week used AR.  He will probably like it so much he will decide to keep it. Just my .02

Actually it would be about $400.00 to $450.00.  You were basing the price I would offer him on the used Olympic Arms Plinker and I had steered the kid toward the Rock River Arms 16" flat top for $669.00 or so (tax).

The kid had no idea what he could get for it and I informed him upfront that if he held on to it he could get his money out of it.  He didn't care.  He was a young kid with big ideas about what he was going to do in the service.  

Besides, chances are I will never hear from him, but if I do....AR #6.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#15]
That sounds good.  It sounds like you were up front with him from all you said.  I just remember all the stuff that I did not know when I made my first couple firearm purchases.  The RR will be a winner best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I, too, beleive that he will keep it.

Noah
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

7 or 8... try 17 including a few stripped lowers and a few lower halfs waiting to be built out.  What would she think of me?

Aren't you my long lost dad?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#18]
If you want to have an AR in every possible configuration, you need way more than 6.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I only have 2 and my girlfriend thinks Im crazy, she wont even shoot them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I only have 2 and my girlfriend thinks Im crazy, she wont even shoot them.

those nasty evil black assault weapons eww
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Alas an AR in every possible configuration would require tax stamps...(sigh).  Of course, I could handle the tax stamps with no problem, it's just too bad that new M16's aren't civvie legal (angry sigh)..lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top