Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2002 9:50:52 PM EDT
Okay, I am thinking about selling some firearms thru the EE here on AR15.com and have some questions.

I know I need to sell to a FFL, but does the buyer send that to me?  How do I know the FFL paper is legit?  Can I ship from my home directly to the FFL dealer?

Any other advice available??

Thanks

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure how far you need to check, but the last deal I made, I just went here: 204.254.113.252/ and verified that the place I was sending a rifle was a current FFL holder and the address matched.

I don't think FFL holders will want to give you the whole license number. Too much fraud out there. But I don't think they will mind giving you the first 3 and last 5 digits. I called the dealer I was sending the rifle to. He wasn't sure how to handle it either, so you may need to explain why you want those digits.

Everything went well on a trade I did through the E/E forum :)

Edited to add:
Oh, and you can ship a rifle directly to an FFL dealer. If you ship a handgun, it must go from dealer to dealer for the transfer. The various carriers have info if you want to search for it. I went with FedEx. I think they said the only requirement is that no ammo is included. I played it extra safe since I was sending other stuff and sent the carrier assy separate with a mag and carry handle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I just want to add one thing to JAFO's post.  With regards to long guns,  make sure that the transferee's FFL will accept a transfer from a non FFL.  Some FFL's will only accept transfers from another FFL.  Save yourself the aggravation I had to go through. Other than that you should have no problems.    
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Raptor22. That's why you should definitely call the FFL dealer and speak directly to him to make sure everything is kosher.

Another observation I've made: when you ship it, make sure you add a note in there somewhere, on a slip of paper, or somewhere on the shipping slip, of the person's name/phone number to whom the transfer will be made. My dealer mentioned something one time about getting things shipped to him and having no idea who it was for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top