Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2002 3:52:34 PM EDT

I need to put a new sight on my 10/22.  I snapped half of the front post off of the factory sights when i banged my rifle against my trunk door (yea, oops..) and i'd like to replace the whole setup with some sort of peep style sight.

I read somewhere a while back that you can somehow fit the sights of an M1 carbine on a 10/22.

anyone know how this works?

any other suggestions are welcome also.

thanks

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a red-dot on my 10/22...(Which is my Rapid-fire gun) and the Factory front sight gets in the way
E-mail me and I'll send you the front sight,
you just have to pay shipping
-Chuck
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
if you can't come up with a good peep sight, I have a new 10-22 front sight that I'll sell you for $6.50 delivered to your door.

I personally like the red dot sight on my suppressed 10-22.  It's an el-cheapo BSA

Balming

Summit Ammo
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]

thanks fellas, but i really want to get a new type of sight, not just replace the broken one.

anyone know how to do the M1 thing?

btt

-Spaceman
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve never done it, but it looks like it’s doable but a little involved.

I guess you know the M-1 carbine sight is all one piece (at least the ones I’ve seen).  That is, the sight blade, ears, and sleeve going around the barrel are a single piece of steel.

A key fits in matching longitudinal grooves in the sight and barrel to hold the sight in place.  The key is placed in the barrel groove; then the sight is slid onto the barrel and key.  And then a pin is driven crossways through the sight and key to keep the sight from sliding off.

Looks like you could mount the M-1 sight on a 10/22 by turning down the 10/22 front sight base to the same diameter as the equivalent section of an M-1 carbine barrel (assuming the 10/22 sight is the larger of the two, which I think it is).  You’ll need to leave a little shoulder at the rear of the base for the sight to butt up to – like it does with the carbine barrel.  

Then you would have to mill a groove in the 10/22 sight base for the key.  This sounds like the tricky part - if the groove is not precisely made, the sight may be cockeyed or it may wobble.  Possibility you could fabricate some screw or pin set up to hold the sight on by going through the sight and barrel; thus dispensing with the key.

Rather obviously, I’m just guessing on all this.

Sight adjustment of M-1 carbines sometimes included filing down the front sight.  If you buy a front sight, make sure it hasn’t been filed on.

If you actually do this, please post pictures.

Incidentally, there appears to be two different size dovetails on 10/22 front sights.  If you decide to simply replace the original sight, keep this in mind.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Check the Brownells catalog, they have several.
I have been thinking about replacing my factory sights with a set by Zepher that includes a rear peep sight that uses the factory scope rail screws to mount to the rear of the receiver. It also comes with an HK style hooded front sight for $35.95. Page 8 catalog #54.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I would avoid the "Zephyr". I have one. It is very cheaply made, ther rear sight is mostly all plastic. The Williams peep sight is a little better; that is what I am using now. Both use a front sight that is a lot taller than the original factory.

DT
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#7]

very interesting.

i cant believe that with so many 10/22s out there, we still have so few options for iron sights.

ill try another go around.

btt

-Spaceman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top