Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2002 2:02:47 PM EDT
What one do you prefer and what style of shooting do you use it for, long range, target, hunting, varmint, feel compelled to add any comments.
www.leupold.com/products/reticles.htm

Also, with much self debate, I've decided not to buy another mid price scope, heres what I was looking at for my bushy varminter 24 inch.

Tasco SS 10x40
Simmons Aetec 3.5-12x44
Bushnell 3200 10x40 target

Heres is the what I decided for the varminter

Leupold #54101 fine crosshair target dot

Hope I'm making the right choice, there are allot of nice scope for less money, but I don't want to regret another poor scope choice.

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My personal preference is for the Target Dot. I like the thin wire "type" reticle for longer range. Don't loose your target where the wires intersect.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope I'm making the right choice, there are allot of nice scope for less money, but I don't want to regret another poor scope choice

A. I prefer Mil Dots. I shoot at unknown distances with a target of known size.

B. With respect to your statement above.

Tasco just filed for BK last week. If I were you, given Tasco's less than stellar rep and the fact that they will no longer be around to fix it - don't buy it.

Simmons - a great cheap scope. Don't spend more than $100.00 and you will get what you pay for. Spend more and you are throwing money away.

Bushnell 3200 series - about 2 months ago there was a review of the new 3200 series fixed power mil dot - it was junk.

Bottom line - what are YOU gonna do with it? Are you gonnna need to constantly adjust it? If so, that means you will want target turrets and repeatability is very important - something most cheap scopes don't do - esp with a heavier caliber than 5.56 (which you have).

Cheap high magnification scopes are a waste of money. They are too cloudy to use at a high mag level anyway.

If I were you and looking to pick up a cheap scope - I would learn all about Loopies - be able to identify age from the SN #. (You want a newer one - they have [verify this] a letter or two in with the numbers - you want letters with the numbers). Watch for one on ebay or at a gun show / garage sale. Send it in to Premier Rectical and have it swapped out for what you want. (They do loopies stuff anyway).

Otherwise - it doesn't much matter. I buy that $35.00 Simmons and call it good.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bottom line - what are YOU gonna do with it? Are you gonnna need to constantly adjust it? If so, that means you will want target turrets and repeatability is very important - something most cheap scopes don't do - esp with a heavier caliber than 5.56 (which you have).

Thanks SIX, I'm NOT going to buy another cheap scope, I'm going to buy the Leupold shown.
I'll use it for varmints, and target, and yes I'll use the elevation turrets often.

PS what reticle do you prefer?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Six.

I bought a CHEAP scope ONCE! I'll never do that again.

The onlt thing I can't justify buying an expensive scope for is my 10/22. Otherwise, i'll buy a good scope.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, I forgot...

1)Mil-Dot

2)Duplex
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Leupold Vari X III, varibles, (some 4.5x14s some 6.5x20s)w/ Mil-Dots and turrets. For long range, short range and hunting.

I'm prejudiced, I think Leupolds are the only scope to use (cause I can't afford more expensive ones), based on their consistency, repeatability and the fact that they always seem to be on the money, no matter what the range.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top