Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 9:05:02 PM EDT
I need some input about mag extensions for the Remington 870.

I wanted a factory extension from Remington but they are way too expensive and pretty hard to come by. My gunsmith told me the factory ones weren't all that great and that a Wilson or a Choate tube were better.

Anyone have much experience with these? Is the factory tube worth the extra cash or is a Choate or Wilson one as good or better?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I won't say they're BETTER, but they are at least as good as the Remington factory unit.
I like the Choate unit more than the Wilson/Scattergun Technology, because I don't care for the intregral sling swivel on the Wilson. (Just personal preference).

I would prefer the Choate, Wilson or Tac-Star over the factory unit, because I don't like the fact the Remington projects past the barrel.  The reason for this, is the Remington was originally developed as a military project, and the extension on the end of the unit is to fit the mounting ring on a bayonet.  Remington apparently never saw any reason to modify the design for police/civilian use.
If you want a Chaoate at cheaper than list price, either get a friend with an FFL to order one from Brownell's, or look at Ebay.  Do a search for 'Remington 870'.  There is a seller there who is selling new Choate units fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:37:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if it is true or not, but it is certainly on my 11-87. The 11-87 has two little dimbles on the end of the factory mag tube so that you just can't attach one of those extended magazine tubes; otherwise the shells won't go into the tube. I have heard that you can file them away with a round file, or Brownell's have a special tool that you force down the tube to remove the dimples.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using a Choate 8 shot extensions on my 870 for the last 20 years and it's been trouble free.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been using the 8 and 10 shot
choate extansions on my rRemington aout's for many years.  I can not compare them to others, as I have not tried others.  But, the Choate's have served me well.

Warlord, you can drill the dimples out on the 1187's and the extensions will work just fine.  Choate even tells you this in the instructions that comes with their extensions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a tacstar 8 rounder for my 870 for IPSC comps..

No problems thus far.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Choate for my 870.  Choate Hi-Vis follower too!

Joe
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#9]
i have the tac star also, works great. the dimples have to be removed, its a pain, but a dremel or file will do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top