Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2002 8:38:49 PM EDT
Went to the range today to sight in my gunplumber built G1. Upon arriving, I noticed the local scout troop were camping out over the weekend. I asked the troop leader if he minded if I sighted in my rifle since all the benches were occupied with single shot .22's. He said no problem since many of these young men were shooting at the trap range.

Quickly got it sighted in at 25yds using port ball....windage was dead nuts....elevation was a couple inches high. 10 clicks up corrected this. Last 3 were in 5/8".

Setup 3 25yd RF pistol targets at 100. Fired 10 shots....all in the 10 ring with 6x's. I notice the scout leader checking out my rifle while walking back. I ask him if any of the senior scouts would like to try their hand with the FAL.

He said sure, and yells out for a couple 12-13 year olds. I give them a run down on how the rifle works and have each of them load 5 rds using the mag loader / stripper clip. Their eyes were as big as saucers.... after they touched off the first round. WOW THAT WAS COOOOOL!!!!! CAN I SHOOT AGAIN!!! I say shoot'um up. One of the fathers was busy taking pictures. It felt good to these young men and their fathers having such a great time shooting a nasty assault rifle.

I go down to retrieve the targets and I have to say these men can shoot. Nearly all shots were in the black. This was with peep sights.

Upon leaving, I get a resounding THANK YOU from all. MY PLEASURE.

As a side note, if anyone is thinking of buying a custom FAL...Mark from ARS does exceptional work. He's one of the best.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It's always nice to hear when someone puts in extra effort to get new people into guns.

Just one question though, I was looking into the G1 FAL kits and they all seem to have the line "all NFA rules apply".  Do the G1 lowers have automatic fire control parts?  If so, could you just drop in semi-auto fire control parts and be okay?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds sweet. our troop never did any shooting, just archery
but I did get my rifle and shotgun merit badges because my dad was able to be a merit badge counselor
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
smoken44

Great story. The more kids that are taught the proper way to handle a firearm, the better. I am glad the leaders let the boys try it out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a great story man, you got to love the  look on kids' faces when they get to fire a weapon like that. I have 3 boys and a 1 girl who all love to shoot and the look on there faces is priceless every time!
To you have any pics of the G1?
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#5]

minion82
Yes. FSE makes high quality fire control kits. They can be obtained from ARS,DSA ect
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
That is a very sweet looking toy
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Boy Scout memories...

A couple of friends and me joined just to have a place to go.. It was great.... camping every summer..
All but one included .22 cal's ..
our troop master was/is a Dallas PD officer.
Im ashamed to say I dont even remember the guys name.. But the values are still there.
I see the guy still driving around in his squad car every now and then.. next time I see him Im going to stop him, Thank him and be on my way...
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Way to go man. Always great to let kids shoot cool guns. Believe me, those kids will remember that for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Smoken44, Don't stop now! Call your local Boy Scout Troop and become a Rifle of Shotgun Merit Badge Counselor. The Scouts need guys like you. Several Scouts in the Troop that I am involved with say that they stay in only because the shooting. I do the shotgun with the kids. Nothing beats watching a kid break a clay bird for the first time. Please stay, it's for the children! MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Last August I got the go ahead to teach my 12 year old cousin how to shoot.  We started with a .22 pump action remington, moved on to a .22 semi-automatic Marlin, then to my KKF .22 uppered AR-15.  After that he got to shoot my Bushmaster and finally my AK-47.  Since then he has been shooting two more times with me, and he just loves it.  He always has a list of questions to ask me when he sees me, and learns very quickly.  This summer I have permission to teach him how to shoot handguns.

His parent's are the stereotypical liberal anti-gun types, and I was surprised when they told me he could learn how to shoot.  The last time I saw them, his Mom told me they were thinking of buying him a .22 rifle for his 16th birthday.  He still has a 3 year wait, but I know he will be glad to get it.

It's always fun to teach a kid how to shoot.  Especially when they want to learn good shooting and safety techniques.

Brad
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I would encourage anyone here to become a BSA rifle/shotgun intructor. I am NRA certified in rifle/shotgun/Muzzle loading. I work at the local summer camp for the summer. I end up putting somewhere around 600 kids through the full course. And have at least 1000 come through the free time shooting. Many of these kids are from the city and they have no connections with firearms. Even their fathers have never shot a rifle before. It makes a few anti's look at gun in a whole new light after they see their childs faces light up when the get a good group.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top