Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/17/2002 8:39:25 PM EDT
At 9:15PM tonight The dogs just started going crazy so I was like what the F*ck is going on out there? then I hear a knock at the door look out my window and see two people on my porch, now this is kinda weird considering I live in a small quiet neighborhood so I grab my mossberg and about 4 shells and start loading up and ask "whos there?" and they say something like "are you interested.." I say "no" walking back my sister give me a crazy look and says "you must be paranoid or something"

I don't think I am paranoid just always want to be well prepared, I don't want to walk up to the door and get it kicked in on me and have someone ran sack the house or anything like that,
So Am I paranoid or do other AR15ers have there weapons close when stangers are near???
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep a loaded (not chambered) AK in the closet, a loaded (not chambered) 870 Express Synthetic model next to my bed, and my Kel-Tek Handgun within 10 feet of me(on me when i answer my door).  

Paranoid?  no

Prepared? yes

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If you were paranoid you would have shot them.

You are just prepared.  

That is kind of late for a solicitor.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
wow a AK damn you are prepared, there was only 2 of them so I figured it was shotgun work not mini 14 with a 40rd mag.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a story involving a girl I know.When she was younger her dad ran an ad in newspaper to sell his car.2 guys knocked on the door...they were told car was sold....door was shut...3 seconds later they barged in the door...tied up kids...waited for babysitter and raped her(babysitter). This scenario probable happens everyday including Christmas.
   Relatives might think your a lil 'nutty' if you load a shotgun everytime there's a knock at the door and you might make them nervous by doing so. Don't you have a 1911 ? (figured you did cause of name). Remember all your gun safety rules since you have other people around you .  I heard a knock the other day while I was exercising so I just yelled "who is it ?" and they must have seen the 'sign' on the door and decided not to bother me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The comment about being a little late for soliciting, thats what I thought was odd, who the heck is going to open there door to stangers at that hour??  Yeah I could have grabbed the 1911 but the beater mossberg was near by so thats what I grabbed, and don't worry about the family being scarred of guns I think they are happy to have them around.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
No,thats being prepared especialy at that hour. i have a similar story to 100yards. these two chitbags followed this guy home one night they wanted his car it was new honda, he goes in the house and few minutes later theres a knock on the door. he opens the door the chitbags push there way in one had a sawed off 410 and the other a 9mm they held the family at gun point while they grabbed what they could. one tried to talk the other one into killing all of them according to the victims. but they didnt they ran out and got in the car and where sitting in the car when the police arrived. we cought both of them at the scene and they will be elgible for parole long after i've retired in about 20 years. both were previous convicted felons. i always go to the door with a weapon in hand.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
"Homeland Defense is NOT paranoia."

Should we make a bumper sticker out of that?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh good i am not alone!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
The paranoid are rarely conned!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I wish that you lived on my block. We could work together. A crossfire becomes a killing zone. Don't dial 911, dial your neighbor. There is nothing wrong with your anxiety. You are just dealing with the fact that only pussies live near you, and you are forced to hyper-vigilence because of their inability to accept their security responsibilities.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a interesting story similar to these.. me and a buddy of mine were playing some football on the ol Playstation 2 and we hear a door open.. i freeze... grab my AR and slap a 30rd mag in it and throw one home and give my buddy my nova 7+1 and tell him to load it up and make it "hot" also... so we go around the house like a swat team and sweep everyroom.. i'd open a door from the side and he'd be looking in it at a diagnol(bah i cant spell) with the shotty  and we'd go through the whole house... and my folks were outta town also.. so we slept in my room.. it was freaky  IF it was a guy looking to rob then he must have heard me slap a mag in and pop a round in and then heard the all to familiar sound of a shotty cocking and hauled ass...
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I am the same way. Especially at night. From time to time I get people that wander through the area who's car breaks down or something. Being I am out in the country....it's kind of a given that they will find me since there's not too many other homes around. If they need help I will make a phone call for them or whatever....but under no circumstances will I let a stranger gain access to my house, no matter how convincing their story. It is sad that we must treat others that way but it's just the way you must be to survive in this day and age. And yes, I do keep a gun handy.....usually my Sig P229 .40 cal that is always on my hip. And of course the 870 is waiting if that isn't enough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Paranoid?  no

Prepared? yes

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#14]
nothing wrong with being prepared, i keep a ruger gp100 357 mag on the headboard,(no kids) and i have my early warning detection system, two german sheperds that like to play rough if they need to.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:13:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Heck, I sleep with a P14 next to me in bed (yep, I'm single). Loaded, not chambered, mussle not pointing at my head. Not so much that I'm paranoid, I just don't have to worry about little kids or nosy roommates, so why not?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I got my wake-up call last year. My wife and I were sitting in our living room with her father one Saturday night. I was half asleep in the recliner, and my wife was yacking on the phone. The front door was wide open but the screen door was locked. My Father-in-law had gotten up to use the bathroom when there was a knock at the door. I figured it was a family member since several live very close to us. Anyway I her this youngish voice ask,"Have you got a couple of bucks? We're broke and need some money to get home". I figure it's one of my cousin's teenage boys. My wife gets up from her chair which is two feet from the door and says "No!" They ask again, and she gets louder and says no again. The person mumbled and left. She starts jumping my sh!t and I couldn't figure out why.
Turns out there where two teenagers that were in view. One in front of the door and one eight feet behind by the front of the house. The house is L shaped. Because of the way the street lights are placed she could make out the shadow of a third person hiding out right to the side of the door out of view. I can only imagine what would have happened had she opened the door.
They did not know I was there but hell, I was half asleep and no firearm readily available. They were all locked up tight. That doesn't happen anymore. I'm prepared now.
My wife is one of the most unobservant people I know. She just doesn't look for details but I'm damn glad she picked that moment to wake up and pay attention. And by the way, until that moment she hated my firearms. Now she see's the reason for having them and never bitches when I bring home a new addition.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#17]
One word of caution, in my opinion.

More often than not, an unexpected visitor is probably legit.  A friend of mine had a similiar situation where he heard a rattling in his basement, got his gun, and when he heard the cellar door opening his heart was racing, but it turned out to be his brother coming over to borrow the lawnmower from his parents while they were away, using his own key to get in the basement door.  

Got to be careful about a bump or a shadow, complete strangers you can see from a window might be a different story.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I cannot imagine having to load a gun late at night, or anytime for that matter.  You are not paranoid my friend, you are not even prepared.  How fast could you have loaded if they had, instead of knocking, kicked the door open?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]
1911 within easy access, loaded not chambered, AK47 with drum loaded next to it.  Not paranoid.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think you're paranoid.  I wish I could have a pistol within reach in my drawer - but I'm 20 so I can't yet.  I just have a CO2 pistol in my drawer.  I also have my AR-15, but it's kind of big.

But (and I'm not saying you guys don't know this) don't get too careless - don't shoot until you can see the whites of their eyes.  My dad told me a story he heard about a guy who was in bed, and in the middle of the night he heard someone come in the front door.  He was not expecting anyone, and it was the middle of the night, so he "knew" it was a burgler or something.  He got his pistol, and when the sound was close, he shot through the wall.  Turns out he killed his son who had come to visit and got there late.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#21]
870 loaded not chambered!

Paranoid? no

Prepared? yes
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Browning Hi-power .40, empty chamber, 10 Federal Hyra-Shoks waiting patiently in line.

No kids, no roommates, no reason not to have it right next to me most times.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds paranoid to me, but birds of a feather flock together.
GG
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes. You are paranoid. Welcome to the club.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#25]
You don't keep your shotgun loaded!
You aren't paranoid at all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I am surprised at how many people here don't keep their weapons with one in the pipe. My carry gun, a Kimber Ultra Carry, is always cocked, locked and ready to rock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#27]
IMHO, I ALWAYS treat ALL firearms as if they are loaded.

That said, why not be "Cocked and Locked" at ALL times???

It only makes natural sense to me. Plus I believe in a shooting there is something about escalation, which I dont have. I cant escalate from Condition One...

A little healthy paranoia can be a good thing...I think its called a good offense
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Now remember, sometimes that 3:00 A.M. knock on your door could be a policeman or a fireman asking for your assistance, or perhaps providing some assistance for you (i.e. like telling you that your house is on fire - don't laugh, happens all the time).  So be cautious; or it could just be a pizza man with a very wrong address.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#29]
these two were not cops they "could" have been plain cloth I guess.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I have this friend. He thinks that I am a freak cuz I am always armed - esp in the woods. Wonder why? How bout this:

(Last week)in Coos County OR

....... two day hikers (1 male, 1 female, 30ish, from Grants Pass OR) are in a state park walking along the trails. An armed, felon on parole (from Medford - and they are not saying for what crime) steps out from the trees, demands their wallets, ties her up to a tree with a bag over her head, takes the male hiker with him (wants the car - right? - wrong) a minute or two later she (still tied up) hears four (4) gunshots. Any guesses who got popped? Yeah, that is right they found the boyfriend - off the trail, under and in the bushes - dead - a few hours later. She manages to get free and get to a phone. First cop on scene somehow finds the bad guy. Bad guys shoots cop in the bicep -it exits out the back of his upper shoulder. Bad guy disappears back into the woods. Eludes local and state police as well as helo's with thermal imaging equip for 2 days. Bad guy then shaves his head, gets new clothes and is finally caught trying to get into his motor home (back in town) and get away.

Bottom line - the four legged creatures are not what one should be concerned with in the woods.

In my book - if you are not checking your six, pulling off trail, making yourself small and listening - your a dumbass.

If your not packin' (and I don't give a damm where) your a dumbass.

Bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen more often to good people that are not prepared.

Don't be a dumbass. Be prepared.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that "they" aren't really out to get you!
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#32]
when my parents leave town, i sleep in the front bed room nearest to the door so i can hear the dog bark outside.  i also keep my busy with a 30 rd mag less than 2 ft away.  and on the night stand is my dad's SIG P220 .45 pistol.  in the closet a few feet away i have a remington 870.  so i would say i am prepaired.  ok and maybe a little paranoid.  but hay, i live in spring branch.  there is also a mexican bar down the road and gangs everywhere.  you just never know these days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I agree with Six.  I wear my Glock 27 at all times when I'm at home.  My motto is that it's always better to be ready and not need it than need it and not be ready.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#34]
It was about 9pm, knock on the door.  I am not expecting anyone, wife and kids watching in the living room.  I get my pistol (9mm, 16 rounds) and go to the door.  Looking through the peephole, all I can see is a woman, mostly her hair.  She is crowded up to the door, can't see her face, but she sounds frantic.  I very cautiously open the door, with my foot behind it  to ask if there is a problem.

The door bursts open, I was knocked to the floor.  Now, I am big, I weigh 250.  I held my pistol back to try to maintain control of it, she falls on top of me, I had grabbed her by the shirt collar, in front, as she burst in.

I ended up flat on my back, her on top of me, with my pistol stuck in her eye.  I was prepared to blow her f___ing brains out, and blast whoever came in after her... But she froze, and no one followed.

I got up, hauled her up by the collar, still with my pistol in her eye.

She started asking if her friend, a nurse (who worked at a local nursing home, she said) lived here.  NO, never heard of her.  I shoved her ass out the door.

Found out later, this woman had a serious pill problem, and was probably looking for her connection.

That night, my kids learned the reason for not rushing to the door and yanking it open, as kids so often do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#35]
im paranoid! i can home thursday and say a white car parked in my driveway. never seen it before and none of our neighbors have a ford taurus. so i went inside with my little folding knife at the ready. i quickly snuch up stairs into my room and got my remington 700 .30-06 (great CQB weapon ). Quickly gave my parents a ring, neither answered at work or cell. All the doors upstaris were shut so i cleared all the rooms, meanwhile hearing creaking noises EVERYWHERE. i went down stairs and saw the door to the garage was open.....no one ever leaves it open and it always slams shut. so i cleared it and when back and double checked the rest of rooms, closests, and under beds. scared the hell out of me. didnt get ahold of my mom until 3 hours later and she explained to me that it was my dad's friend's car. apperantly him and my dad went to eastern washington to go golfing....D'oh!
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
im paranoid! i can home thursday and say a white car parked in my driveway. never seen it before and none of our neighbors have a ford taurus. so i went inside with my little folding knife at the ready. i quickly snuch up stairs into my room and got my remington 700 .30-06 (great CQB weapon ). Quickly gave my parents a ring, neither answered at work or cell. All the doors upstaris were shut so i cleared all the rooms, meanwhile hearing creaking noises EVERYWHERE. i went down stairs and saw the door to the garage was open.....no one ever leaves it open and it always slams shut. so i cleared it and when back and double checked the rest of rooms, closests, and under beds. scared the hell out of me. didnt get ahold of my mom until 3 hours later and she explained to me that it was my dad's friend's car. apperantly him and my dad went to eastern washington to go golfing....D'oh!

you just wanted a excuse to get out a gun and play "clear house."
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#37]
You need a an excuse to play "clear the house"?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#38]
i sleep in the basement so if i heard my dog barking i'm a short distance from a ruger p89 (loaded in mag, chamber empty) with 10 rds of starfire hollow points.  sometimes (when i have ammo) i have a couple loaded 30 rounders for the ar near also.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to keep my Mossberg 590 loaded with six rounds of #4 (with two more on one side of the Speedfeed stock and two deer slugs in the other) beside my bed.

That was before my daughter and her two kids moved home.  Now everything that goes "bang" is locked up in the safe.  

Those kids get into everything.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#40]
you would have been paranoid if you had answered the door with a belf fed weapon, or something classififed as a destrictive device (think HK GMG)

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#41]
now that i have a pistol it sleeps no more than arms length away from me.. HK Match .45 with 10 rds of hydrashok.. I would carry it with me but im only 20 so no CCW yet.. but the day i turn 21 im applying for it.. or can i apply for it like 3-4 months b4 i turn 21 and pick it up when i turn 21?   I do carry it with me in my truck since the state of MS is so friendly (in MS your vehicle is part of your household so i can have it loaded and one chambered in my backpocket and there isnt anything anyone can do.. UNTIL i step out then its my ass...
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#42]
You were nervous about strangers knocking on your door at 9:15 in the PM?

What's paranoid about that?

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I've investigated enough home invasion robberies that I can say no, you are definitely not paranoid.  As others have already said, caution is in order any time you answer your door with a gun, as it might be someone there for a legitimate reason.  I always have a handgun on my person, and if someone comes to the door that I don't know, I just throw an untucked flannel shirt on.  If everything is cool, they never know I have it.  If it's not, I can use the concealed-carry draw I've practiced a jillion times to access my weapon.

If you are going to keep a weapon at home for defense, try to keep it in a consistent place so you don't have to wonder where it is when the shit hits the fan.  Keep it loaded if possible, as you may not have time to load it.  As far as keeping handguns with mags in and empty chambers, I wouldn't.  I want a round in the chamber so that I know I can get off at least one.  Seen a couple instances where folks kept their guns like this, only to have them malfunction when they tried to chamber that first round under stress.  Also, if the bad guys are fast and get to where you are before you are fully aware (still asleep, etc) you may only have one hand to bring that weapon into play.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I told my GF's story but we also had a burglar/rapist sneak in one night and steal jewelry and attempted to rape my sister.This has to happen alot more than we get to hear about because this scumbag was a repeat offender and he didn't get any time for our house (even though he was caught with property on him---months later)but he did get a lil time for some other stuff they pinned to him.Just think about it...someone can rape your wife and they will be free someday--even if they beat the crap out of her or even killed her.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#45]
If someone raped my wife, no, they will not be free someday. I promise you that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Depending upon your circumstances,if you have small children or others in your house,then yes it's acceptable to have say a 1911 with out one in the pipe.  If you live by your self then who are you protecting by having a unloaded gun, (the bad guy)?

I like my 1911's,but don't keep one in the pipe,because I keep a 44 wheel gun right next to the puter.   I have paid the right to be prepared,and when I come to the door I come adorned.

Hell I even keep an old mossenburg 410 in the garden shed just in case I have to interface with the unknown while on my way to the house.

Exchange the word paranoid with prepared then I'll throw In with you.

Bob  
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#48]
We are not paranoid (unrealistically afraid that there are people out to get us).  They really are out to get us.

I always carry legally, even at home.  Mossberg 590A1 with lots of 00 in standby in the closet, locked but only seconds away.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#49]
OK, I give up.  What the hell ended up happening?  They say are you interested and then WHAT!  Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#50]
One morning about 6:15 am, I was sitting at the table having a bowl of cereal, and there is a knock at the door. (Still pitch dark outside.)

I open the door and there stands this beautiful young blonde. (Starting to sound like a story out of Penthouse now.)
She is looking for her friend, and I think wanted me to let her come in and use the phone.
I didn't.
(Man, that never happened when I was single!)

Anyway, before I answered the door, I hesitated, and thought about getting the gun, but I didn't.
We live in a small town, but there have been an increasing number of home invasions and shootings over the last few years.

Future early or late knocks will be answered with a gun in hand.
I've answered the door before with a gun, and I've investigated noises before with a gun.

A few months ago, I was out of town.
My wife and 15 year old were home alone.
There was a loud "Thump" on the back deck.
My wife got a loaded .38 and went to investigate.
(Fallen tree limb.)
The daughter thought my wife was paranoid.
I could not have been more proud of her.

So, are you paranoid?
Either you are not, or a great many of us are.

Me?

Well, the kids at home are now 16 and 20.
Both have received firearms safety training, and have an open invite to the range any time they want to go.

So.....
there's a Ruger P95D by the bed, full mag, one in the chamber.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top