Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2002 1:29:26 PM EDT
I just got an email from the E.Arthur Brown Co that Tasco is going out of business.  Has anyone heard about this?
www.eabco.com/Tasco04.html
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
you are the first, maybe they're changing product line & leaving the "gun stuff" alone.........??
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like the logical destiny of any company whose product lines consist mainly of crap.

I really hope it was their high rate of returns that did them in.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ken,
They did make a great super-soaker red dot scope.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I called Tasco yesterday, I have a couple of their POS scopes to send back for them to repair/replace.

I was told that-
"We are not taking any more returns for at least a month. The repair shop is so backed up that there is no where to put any more returns, the shelves are full!!!"  

Rat Bastards

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:15:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Tasco should have gone out business years ago. What crap most of their stuff is. For a cheaper scope, just buy a Simmons. At least they are halfway decent.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
That's great,, I just bought a Special 6-18X42 AO from Midway on closeout,, no mention of them going out of business,, this was about 5 weeks ago...It was only 49.00 . I noticed that link posted had them for 69 and specified no returns, probably no warranty,, so it wasn't a bad deal after all, works fine so far, notice it was made in China,, has this been the norm for tasco lately,, used to be they were made in Japan... Maybe since I bought it with a credit card, I may have recourse if it does have problems?????
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I've purchased only one tasco in my life... it fogged up two months after i bought it... took it back... they gave another one.. fogged up within 4 months...

They should be run outta town on a rail:

heavy.gif
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Have a "World Class" on my 22mag bolt rifle.  That is about all I would trust it on though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Tasco out of business sounds like the whole evolution survival of the fittest stuff.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My only Tasco scope is on my BBgun.  4-20 zoom, 50 MM objective, it's as long as the barrel, cost more than the gun though, but thats all it's worth a shit on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The only thing I'm going to miss is their red dot sights.  I own three and they are a great sight for the money.

They could stay in business if they switched all their production to the Super Sniper scopes, and sold nothing else.   This seems to be the only decent product they've ever made, and the only one anybody wants.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I won't buy their cheap crap.

I only mount Bushnell on my rifles.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an old Tasco 4x on a marlin model 60 that my dad gave me when I started coon hunting.  Its ok, but terrible field of view.  I have seen people swear by the world class, but I wouldnt dream of putting one on a good rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:I won't buy their cheap crap.

I only mount Bushnell on my rifles.

Unfortunately, the quality of Bushnell optics is not appreciably better than Tasco's... they are probably made side by side in the same Chinese slave labor camp.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were either referring to the Bushnell Elite line, or being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#16]
It's about time, they should take bushnell and simmons with them, all junk, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#17]
i guess that means i better hurry up and order that propoint.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#18]
What a shame, now BSA, BEC & Norinco will have the entire chinese glass crap market to themselves. Who's Next?

Bill
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
[Actually I was sort of considering one of those Tasco Supersnipers-but no warranty repairs? No thanks]

I just received a Tasco Super Sniper not to long ago. I must say that the Super Sniper must be made by Tasco with higher quality glass and stricter manufacturing guidelines than most of their other scopes as the SS overall is above what Tasco usually puts out on the market.
I doubt that I would ever have to return the SS scope for repairs.....unless I smashed it against a tree or something.

ArmaLiter

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I just received a Tasco Super Sniper not to long ago. I must say that the Super Sniper must be made by Tasco with higher quality glass and stricter manufacturing guidelines than most of their other scopes as the SS overall is above what Tasco usually puts out on the market.
I doubt that I would ever have to return the SS scope for repairs.....unless I smashed it against a tree or something.

The Super Sniper is quite possibly the best rifle scope Tasco ever made, and they probably wouldn't have bothered to have it built to such high standards if they hadn't been trying to get a military contract.

I'd thought about buying one, but with them going out of business, I'm a bit worried about support.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Tasco, much like Cold Steel, doesn't make anything.

They have various other people make stuff to sell under their name.  Since it is various other people, the different models have varying levels of quality.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#22]
"Tasco", in EasternPacificRim-ese, means ".22 LR scope".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top