Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2002 4:27:41 PM EDT
I have a question for my new colt 6601 HB MT. A friend sent me the new Wilson Brake that is ATF legal and is will to silver it in place. Looks just like original except only three slots. One on the top two on the sides.

He will have to take the barrel off the receiver and turn down the barrel, thread it and silver in place all for nothing he has done many of these. Yes he is a professional gunsmith. Is this not a good idea or ok since Colt charges $90.00 for a rifle with their style break. Damn this Wilson brake is just perfect. Yes or No?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Bushy 20" A2 on which I had Wilson Combat permanently install the birdcage muzzle brake. As crazy as it may sound, I mainly did it to complete the appearance, so that it more closely resembled the standard-issue military weapon. Some people don't like them because they think muzzle brakes exaggerate the muzzle flash and the noise of the shot. However, I didn't find this to be the case.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
not to sound like a grammar nazi-ette, but it's a BRAKE, not a break.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Gimme a break! :-)
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone had a 20" HBAR today with the factory installed Y-Comp brake. It was pretty loud.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Install it, All of mine have a brake.
Well, its a military thing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
My postban Bushy Flattop has a naked muzzle.

(I just said naked...)
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the good folks at K2 sports put one on my  post ban 20" Colt. I also did it for appearance sake. Looks better, can't tell if it helped or not. But it looks better.
Did I mention that it looks better ?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I would install the brake.  I really hate naked barrels.  I have one similar to what you are talking about on my M4 upper.  It helps the looks and I did not notice bigger flash or louder shots.

just my 2 cents

medcop
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
From what I have seen and heard the Wilson and Kurt's Custom brakes look sweet and aren't too loud. My main reason for installing them is looks also. Ever since I can remember, the     M-16/AR-15 has been protecting this country. After 25 years of seeing something attached to the end of that muzzle....they just look so weird without something there. It's like a man without a head, fish without gills, a bull elk without antlers.......or an arab man without a beard! Just odd looking.

At any rate they can help keep the muzzle more level during rapid fire, not that a .223 recoils that much anyway. But it does make a noticeable difference. It also protects the tip of your muzzle should the weapon be dropped or something. Have it installed. I would.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top