Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2002 6:03:26 AM EDT
I don’t have the money to buy the shotgun I want this year, so I am going to buy a pump instead. I am going to hunt with it for a year or two, and then would like to convert into a self defense version (18” barrel and short stock/pistol grip). What are going to be the easiest makes/models to do this with? If they all the same, what are the best pumps to look at under $450?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The thread in GD was deleted, probably because you posted it here too.

I would recommend the Winchester 1300.  I use mine a lot for hunting and find that the interchangeable choke tubes are extremely useful.  I bought mine at Kmart many moons ago for $200.  For $450 you could get the standard shotgun (with 28" barrel) and a pistol grip/short fore-end stock set and a short barrel, plus some other add-ons.  Frankly, you'd be better off just getting a short barrel, cutting down the fore-end, and avoiding the pistol grip because the recoil is just downright punishing and requires you to change your grip after every shot
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If just want a turkey gun (as in "FREEZE TURKEY!"), then the Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" bbl is hard to beat.

If you've determined that is the eventual role of this firearm, and you still want a separate shotgun that's nicer/different features/etc... I'd just get a Mossy or a Rem 870, and squirrel the rest of the money away for the one you're after.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I would agree with a Remington 870.  It has a great rep. and has just about any accessory you want available.  I think it is a little heavier than the winchester and mossberg, but I think it helps with recoil.  I got mine for about $200 last summer.

If you don't go with the Rem, I would suggest either the Win or the Mossberg.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
HKer, The 1300 is a great gun but I would put my money on a 870 Remington. I have 6 of them, 3 in 12 gauge, one in 20, one in 28 and one .410. They are great guns. All steel reciever, dozens of barrels and chokes advaible. I would recommend the 3 1/2" chamber if turkeys are in the mix. They offer a 3" or 3 1/2" combo with a deer barrel and a 28" rem choke barrel. You can add a 18" plain barrel later or just use the deer barrel. If you plan to use buckshot just be sure to get the combo with the smooth bore deer barrel not the fully rifled.  If money is an issue I would go with the Mossbeg 500. Barrels, chokes, stocks ect are cheeper and more advailable. But in the long run all three guns will give good sevice. Just remember this is your first shotgun. Don't get to hung up on which one to buy. Shotguns are like golf clubs, you need several or at lest that is the story  am sticking to with my wife. Good Luck, MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a second idea.

Buy a used hunting shotgun (readily available and easy to find at most gun stores or online) and then buy a new combat-type shotgun.  You can get both for under $450.

If you count what I payed for my Winchester 1300 and my Mossberg 590 (both were new at purchase) I payed a total of $525.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I say get the Remington 870. No finer shotgun made. Buy the Express Model, though. It has the, well not quite parkerized finish, but rough, nonglare finish. It's also about ½ price of the blued models. At one time Remington even offered it with both, a 28" and 20" barrel. And it only takes a minute or so to change barrels.

It feels more solid to me than the Mossberg or Winchester. But it's your $$$$. Get what feels best to you.

With a shotgun you need one that "fits" you. All wood stock 870's come right up to my shoulder so I am looking right down the barrel without moving my head. Every other brand I've ever tried, and I used to work in a gun store, usually come up with the muzzle high. I see to much of the barrel and top of the receiver. Even 870 synthetic stocks don't fit me.

Fit is the most important thing in a shotgun. Get the one that fits you the best. Period.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hard to beat an 870.  

However, if you’re a lefty, the Mossberg’s ambidextrous safety might be something to consider.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]

NOVA PUMP SPECIAL PURPOSE

it's a 4+1
ghost ring
you can get a 2 round extention.
NOVA PUMP SPECIAL PURPOSE: it's only been around a year, but police and civilian defensive users have already taken to the matte-finished Nova Slug, with its 18 1/2" cylinder-bore barrel. Police users especially like the convenient fore-end mounted magazine cutoff that allows safe unloading (open rifle or ghost-ring sights available).
click here to view other options

NOVA PUMP SPECIAL PURPOSE  12 Gauge - 23/4", 3" and 31/2"  
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
go with a rem. 870.  my dad used it when he was a cop, and its a great gun.  durable and cheap.  he even beat this guy playing skeet with it.  the guy he was playing must of had a bad day considering his gun cost $4,000 and was perfecctly ballenced for him, so he bragged.  anyway go with a rem. 870.  its good!  Fun too!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
We sell a chinese norinco 1100 semi, Its the exact same thing as the rem 1100. We sell them for 179.95 just to get an idea. Im making a combat truck gun with one, cut the barrel and open the gas ports.
GG
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with 308wood.
Best Pump for the money.
Lots of functional options as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]

This is my vote along with Redmanfms. The Winchester 1200/1300 Defender pistol grip.

I put a forend grip, barrel shroud, 10-Shot Extension. Looks just like this now but no Sidesaddle.
Its a mean bitch and you do need to alternate which hand receives the brunt of th recoil.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
No other pump I've tried is quite like the weight and feel of a good Ithaca Model 37 Police.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Ditto on the Ithaca Police 37.  Tho I also shoot an 870.  Really can't go wrong with any of the major brands.  The gun companies have this one down pat.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Add another for the 870. I have 3 barrels for mine, Receiver is marked "MAGNUM". I use the 20" rifle sight barrel to shoot skeet. Have the 26" Rem-Choke and an old 28" fixed "modified" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a secondhand Rem 870 for 150-200 then after two years send to to Wilson Scattegun tech for a custom Remington Steal Package (addtl $199)
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sgt/sgtindex.htm
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine just got a bunch of police trade-ins, Remington 870 (wingmaster receivers) S&W 3000, and a few Mossbergs.  I picked up a great shape 870 with rifle sights 20" barrel for $150.00.  It was dirty, but barely ever shot!  Wood was good on mine, a couple of nicks.  S&W are in really good shape.  These knocked around trunks, but I bet they were almost never shot!  Add another barrel for hunting, and a mag extension if wanted.  They all have sling swivels.

www.srtsupply.com
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If just want a turkey gun (as in "FREEZE TURKEY!"), then the Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" bbl is hard to beat.

If you've determined that is the eventual role of this firearm, and you still want a separate shotgun that's nicer/different features/etc... I'd just get a Mossy or a Rem 870, and squirrel the rest of the money away for the one you're after.

Yup.... go to Big 5 Sporting Goods and they usually have the Mossy 500 Combo. It is a blued finish Mossy 500 that comes with an 18.5" and 28" barrel. They interchange easily in about a minute or less. The whole deal is usually like $299.00. That was my first shotgun I owned before I bought a 590 and a Benelli M1 Super 90. I still have it with the short barrel on as a home defender and I've taken down ducks in that configuration (albeit it took a couple shots).

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Big 5 sporting goods has the Mossberg 500 complete with both an 18 1/2" and a 28" modified vent rib barrel on sale for $219. It looks like the 5 shot model.

They also have the Winchester Defender short barrel (20"?) 8 shot on sale for $259.

Both shotguns are synthetic stocked.
Sale ends 5/20/02.

No affiliation.  I just happened to have the ad in front of me when I saw this thread.

AR i.t.w's
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Fit is the most important thing in a shotgun. Get the one that fits you the best. Period.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I'd also recommend the Remington 870. They also make a nicer version called the Wingmaster.

If you are planning to shoot anything flying you must have a shotgun that fits you. The reason is that with a shotgun your eye is the rear sight. If your cheek/eye are not in the correct place then your 'rear sight' is positioned wrong.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]
HKer, i think the best money for what you get is the remington 870 wingmaster, not the walmart special express,  wingmaster i use for hunting and 3 gun competition.  works great and alot cheaper than alot of others.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#23]
For $450 you could get a nice Rem. 870, Win 1300 or Moss 500 or 590. You should be able to buy several rounds of ammo and accessories with what you have left over too. Either should be a good choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top