Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2002 2:53:50 PM EDT
My new Bushmaster M4 has had 200 rounds through it, so far, and all of them Wolf.   It has failed to eject 5 times in those 200 rounds.  All that I have to do to correct it is shoot the bolt carrier full of Break Free and I'm back in business.

My question - is that normal, or is it something that will pass after a "break-in" period?  I would hate to have it keep it so wet just so that it will work reliably.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
try NOT shooting Wolf through it, as the steel case is hard on the extracter.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were a feed problem, I'd say it was you magazine.  Only use the USGI ones.  I haven't had anything like that with my 20" Bushy and I'me using Wolf, SA surplus and Maine Cartridge Co. rounds.

When I 1st shot it, I put 160 rounds through it without a hitch.

Maybe try lubing with a high quality teflon greese like Tetra?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Wolf ammo is very dirty. Most do not recommend it for the AR-15, as it is a "tight-tolerance" rifle, unlike the AK-47.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wolf ammo is very dirty. Most do not recommend it for the AR-15, as it is a "tight-tolerance" rifle, unlike the AK-47.

I have to disagree, the South African ammo is very dirty, I spend more time cleaning after SA than with Wolf.
one man's meat is another man's poison I guess...
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the problem egect or extract the caseing?

If not ejecting is it still trying to pick up another round?

Is this the first AR you have owned?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies thus far, guys.

I wanted to address some of the replies that have been posted.  First, I have been using USGI mags exclusively.   It is definately a ejection issue rather than an extraction issue.  It is trying to pick up another round when it happens & yes, this is my first AR.   I have an AK in .223, that's why I'm using Wolf at this point.  I might have to try brass case through it sometime.

I really like the sound of that Tetra.   Thanks for the suggestion CE2_Seabee.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My question - is that normal, or is it something that will pass after a "break-in" period?  I would hate to have it keep it so wet just so that it will work reliably.

Thanks

Each and every AR15 (no matter who the manufacturer) is like a person, all of them are different. I have had my Bushmaster M4A3 since November 2001. So far I have close to 4000 rounds thru it. When I say ammo, I mean I have shot everything from S&B all the way to Wolf. Close to 2500 of those rounds have been Wolf. To this day I have NOT had 1 single malfunction. I have shot ammo that some of my shooting buddies have given me because it wouldn't function in their weapon. Same goes for the mags they can't use. My Bushy loves everything that I throw her way. She is AWESOME!!

DK

As for me, I will NEVER own anything but a Bushmaster again - PERIOD!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My new Bushmaster M4 has had 200 rounds through it, so far, and all of them Wolf.   It has failed to eject 5 times in those 200 rounds.  All that I have to do to correct it is shoot the bolt carrier full of Break Free and I'm back in business.

Thanks

"NO" your weapon not functioning properly is "NOT" normal.

Here is a suggestion.

1. Stop using Wolf Ammo.

2. Keep your weapon well lubed.

3. Go to the Range again.

4. Bring along some Black hills blue box or PMC Ammo.

4. Your baby fires and funtions properly.

5. Amazing isn't it??

6. Go home

7. Clean your baby.

8. Lube her up good and put her away.

9. Your baby works so there is no need to post Wolf Ammo MalFUCKtion posts here any more.

10. You have been re-educated, pop a beer.

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Disassemble the bolt completely, remove the extractor and ejector.  Clean them thoroughly, inspect for burrs or abnormal appearance, and lube at proper points with CLP.

Reassemble and test.

There is definitely something wrong here.  Hopefully it's just dirt.  I never had an AR-15 fail to work because of a lack of lubrication.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely not normal.

If the empty remains held to the bolt face while the next round tries to feed up from the mag, my guess would be a sticky ejector.

If the empty winds up loose inside the action, my guess would be the extractor (or it's spring or rubber insert).
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
damn, and i thought this thread was going to be about BON JOVI!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top