Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2002 1:41:29 PM EDT
Has anyone tried the new phantom flash suppressor ??  If so, how about a report !!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard the phantom is more effective than the vortec although the vortec looks cooler in my opinion, I do not own either and am curious as well if anyone knows which is more effective at reducing flash.

BTW spectre what do you mean by have a take but, don't suck? Do you mean have a toke, but don't suck?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Has anyone tried the new phantom flash suppressor ??  If so, how about a report !!!

I've been wondering the same thing.  I like the looks better without the prongs at the end.  I assume it functions almost exactly the same.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: BTW spectre what do you mean by have a take but, don't suck? Do you mean have a toke, but don't suck?

DOCPIG, It's a phrase used by Jim Rome, a sports radio and tv talk show host. It basically means, have something relevant to say and don't suck.

I posted a reply I received from Yankee Hill mfg in another topic with the same question.  They are the makers of the phantom and they said it performs better than the original. I just wanted to hear from anyone who has actually used it. I ordered a new M4 upper yesterday and had them put the new phantom on it, so I'll know soon enough I guess.

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've been wondering the same thing.  I like the looks better without the prongs at the end.  I assume it functions almost exactly the same.

The notches or "prongs" on the end of the Phantom serves a purpose similar to that found on many other foreign weapons- wire cutting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#5]

The local guru at my FFL dealer has stated that these peform better than any other flah suppressor he's tested. He claims that they reduce muzzle flash to an approx. 1" length, narrow cone.

I just wish they made one to interface w/ a Gemtech M4-96D can.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you think all the rails or lines along the part where it acually hides flash is for?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#7]
cuts weight and looks cool?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What do you think all the rails or lines along the part where it acually hides flash is for?

Heat dissipation...?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]
evil grooves, says the crime bill
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Would one of you please explain to my how the prongs could possible cut wire?  The thinnest point is still about 1.5mm thick.  It doesn't seem to me that it would make an effective wire cutter at all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Careful when cutting military wire or barbwire fences, it may be attached to an anti personnel mine.  

-Your friendly former Combat Engineer.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Simple: press the flash suppressor against the wire (such as a barbed-wire fence), with the notches holding the wire exactly through the center of the FS.  Fire one round.  Move FS to next wire and repeat as necessary.

Many foreign muzzle devices have grooves cut in them for exactly this purpose.

-Troy

Thanks Troy.  Then it seems to me that this isn't exactly the kind of thing that has any use on an up and close carbine like the M4.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Simple: press the flash suppressor against the wire (such as a barbed-wire fence), with the notches holding the wire exactly through the center of the FS.  Fire one round.  Move FS to next wire and repeat as necessary.

Many foreign muzzle devices have grooves cut in them for exactly this purpose.

-Troy

Thanks Troy.  Then it seems to me that this isn't exactly the kind of thing that has any use on an up and close carbine like the M4.  

There will be. Just give it time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Can someone post a picture of one of these new phantoms attached? I just wanted to get a feel for how they look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top