Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2002 6:51:13 AM EDT
i am a life-long shooter/hunter. while i am right-handed, i recently lost the use of my right eye.

i am hopeful of developing rifles (not just AR-15s) which will allow me to shoot from my right shoulder but use my left eye for the scope.
two possibilities seem to be: 1) custom mount the scope base so that it is further left than it would normally be, and/or 2) customize the stock so that my face/left eye is further right than it would normally be.

any thoughts or ideas on these or other possible solutions would be welcomed.

thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
if this is your personal weapon i would go with a custom built "lateral cantilever" scope mount.  nothing like this exists but you can use an arms throw ring base and bolt a piece of ¼” aircraft aluminum plate on top of it to act as a spar that will stick out and to the left.  Then I would mount a weaver base on the spar and your good to go.  You can use a laser in the evenings.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll run into a parallex problem trying to shoot right handed using your left eye. I've tried this, (my right eye was damaged at age 7) shooting left handed will not only decrease the time it will take to get your good left eye to be your dominant eye, but will also avoid the parallex problem, IMHO.

Not to mention you'll now have your stronger right hand/arm for your support hand, which is't such a bad thing.

My 2cents,
Mike

PS - Anything which requires the use of one hand and has not been attempted before, I use my left (I was born right-handed). What can it hurt to know how not only to use your off-hand for multible tasks, but increase the use of the right side of your noggin.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I lost use of my right eye when I was 13.

I tried to cope with a 1/2 functional eye for a number of years.  I then gave up, and learned to shoot left hand.

It is easier than you would expect.  Just strengthen that left index finger!

I am ambidexterous now while shooting, but if I want to be precise, I have to go lefty.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm right handed, but have been shooting left handed since I was a child.  Nobody ever told me not to.  I guess my left eye is dominant.  I shoot hand guns right handed/left eyed.  I once saw a .338 win mag Ruger with the stock hogged out so the user could put his face in there and shoot left eyed/right handed.  I'd be VERY worried about recoil and stock breakage.  It seemed easier to just learn left handed(easy for me to say...)  It is getting pretty easy to find just about everything in a "lefty" anyway.  For bench shooting bolt guns, it's kind of nice to shoot right handed guns  from the left as the port is "lookin" at you and easier to load. This is the way I set up all my varmint rifles.  I do, however, have several nice scars from my AR dumping hot brass down my right sleve.
Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top