Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2002 3:39:24 AM EDT
I don't, but I wanted to. I know guns are designed to shoot. As I open my safe, I only picked the guns I want to shoot. I am wondering if I don't shoot them, why I need them??? I am strange, or perfectly normal just like you guys.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:44:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope....I have shooters (to shoot) and NIB (unfired).
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:49:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Eventually I hope to. Edited to add: (Not that I have that many, but there are a couple in the safe that haven't been fired yet.)
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about the normalcy issue, I guess it depends upon what you aren't shooting.

I do think that there are some guns that shouldn't be fired.  My dad has an old 1897 winchester shotgun that he he uses for deer/turkey/pheasant hunting every year. The gun has been used every year since it was purchased by either him or his uncle(who he got it from) and he continues to use it even though he admits that he probobly shouldn't.  It is in pretty good condition (except for a fingerprint on the blueing).  I'm sorry, but that is just too freakin old to use!

btw, any idea how much it is worth?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:53:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The only reasons I would not shoot one of my guns is the availability of ammo or need of repair.

223REM
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Plenty...

M1garand.
FN49
Carcano
Enfield (savage) No4 Mk2
Steyer M95
Mauser 96
Jungle Carbine
Mauser 1914
SW no 1

Some day I might get around to taking them to the range.....

In the mean time I just like to look atem!

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]
well..............!!

untill last Sunday i did not have one gun in my safe that had never been fired, i got the hots for a NIB pre-ban AR-15, i finally found what i was looking for........, BUT fortunately or unfortunately..????? my wife fell in love wyth that rifle & took me seriously when i said, "heres your mothers day present, honey" !!

then i said somthyng about shooting it, she said, "you leave my rifle alone..! you have three others in there to shoot!!"

soooooooo......., in reality i do NOT own one gun that has never been fired.......

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:31:53 AM EDT
[#7]

I shoot all of them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't imagine buying a gun and not shooting it.  Most of the time, I hit the range before going home with a new gun.

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish I had so many guns that I could have the luxury not to shoot some of them.
But I only have five different rifles and I run as much ammo throught them every chance I get.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Of course!  If you don't shoot it, it's just an expensive paper weight!  If you don't shoot them or need them, then send them to me!  I'll gladly put them to use!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#12]
There are a couple of rifles I have that I don't shoot, mostly old Enfields, Mausers, MN's and such.   I've put a few rounds through all of them (except one Turkish Mauser that I bought last year that I need to clean up) to make sure they work but I don't care to shoot them on a regular basis.

I shoot about 30% of my firearms 90% of the time.  Some, like the CZ-52, I don't reload for, so I generally don't bother with.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Man, that's like buying a car and not driving it!  The proper question is: "What have you done for me lately?"  If there's something in my safe that hasn't seen the light of day in six months, it's time to sell/trade it for something that I'll show a little more interest in.  

Don't you wish we could do that with womenz.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I shoot them all. One day you may need it and it may not be working properly then you are screwed!!

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't buy a gun I don't intend to shoot. Except for one...the Ruger 50th Annevesary .22 pistol. I have that one saved NIB. I don't intend to shoot it unless there is no extra collectors value in it in a few years.

Some guns I don't shoot very often anymore, but I usually did when I bought them. And am not reluctant to shoot often again.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I have some in the back of the safe that I just admire.

NIB Winchester lever actions from the early 80s.

And a few other collectors.

Still have plenty to shoot  
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I shoot all my guns. Including the authentic Hawken. What's the point to not shoot them? That's kind of like non-alcoholic beer or decaffienated coffee.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#18]
When I first got my C&R FFL, I was into the WWII bolt actions pretty heavily.  After I had bought a few of each, my interest went towards bolt actions for a while, then EBR's, then to .22 rifles.  Now I'm back on my EBR kick, and those old Mausers and Mosin Nagants just don't look very enticing any more.  I'm not going to shoot them until I can download some boxer-primed brass to comfortable levels.  It's not worth beating yourself up just to shoot them.  

Some will say, "well, get rid of them and put the money towards something you'll like better."  I like having them around as collector's pieces, and if my interest grows in the future, I'd have to pay higher prices for a similar example.  So I'm perfectly content to keep them around.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#19]
At one time or another, I've shot every gun I own that is shootable. But some guns I haven't shot in years . . .

I used to shoot my Garand and Ruger 77 every time I went shooting rifles--but now I mostly shoot my AR.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I am not a collector, If I wanted to buy something just to look at I would buy airsoft or stamps.  I plan on shooting every gun I ever buy.  I have some that I have not fired but only because they are an odd caliber that I haven't picked up any ammo for or it needs a scope etc.  I don't understand the idea of buying something to save for other people to use unless it is an emergency item.  Even then I would shoot it to make sure it is working.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I won't own a gun I don't shoot. If I want to look at at things I'll never use, I'll look at my coin collection. Guns were meant to be shot. Theres a NRA banquet in my area on saturday. The NRA is going to be raffling off an NRA Commemerative firearm every 6 minutes. The Firearms to be raffled off are at the local Gun Dealer on display till the banquet. These range from 45-70 rolling blocks to gold inlayed winchester 30/30's to Kimber pro carry .45's to you name it. If I were to win any one of them I would shoot it regularly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a couple I can't shoot a lot, simply because of ammunition..6.5SR Arisaka is not easy to find, and 7.62 Nagant is a real bitch to load for.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Investing in new firearms is a complete waste of money as you'll rarely see return on the investment. Investing in antique collectibles is risky but can be profitable.

I shoot mine and invest my money in the market.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#25]
If you don't shoot it, it's just a stick.  I'm not paying 100's of dollars for a stick.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Why else would yuo buy a gun?  How do you know its going to work if you never fire it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I would never buy (or at least pay a premium for) a NIB commemorative gun.  I don't want a gun I can't shoot.  I do have ammo for the great majority of my guns, even if it's only 20 rounds.  You never know when you'll have to arm everyone in the neighborhood ;)

I think it's safe to say I like buying guns more than shooting them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Not shooting a perfectly good gun is abuse of a firearm plain and simple. Firearms are not happy with mere fondling, they need to be treated to a good time at the range. Those who lay there guns in the closet unfired have a twisted mind! Ther ought to be a law.

My biggest pet peave are those engraved commemorative guns. A waste of a perfectly good gun!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Absolutely.... I shoot everything I buy. No "Safe Queens" in my collection. Some get shot more than others but I never bought anything NIB for a collectors piece. I have bought NIB pistols/post ban guns to shoot. I usually avoid anything NIB that is pre-ban since I save $$$ that way and I won't feel guilty having been the one to pop it's cherry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I shoot all of mine, sometimes before I go home after buying it.

Right now I do have a very nice M48 I got last week and I will shoot it this Thursday.

I just don't see the purpose of not shooting guns, especially when the factory has already done it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I can't imagine buying a gun and not shooting it.  Most of the time, I hit the range before going home with a new gun.

What he said.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Some I shoot more than others. About the only 2 that see the least amount of action are my 12ga and a Winchester 94 30-30. I've about reached that point where I need to seriously consider getting into reloading, in order to shoot more of my guns-i.e. I don't shoot my .357 and .270 as often as I'd like to, due to ammo cost. Most often when I go shooting I take the Sig, Beretta, Browning .22s (a pistol and a lever action) OF COURSE the AR and my .50 frontstuffer. I've found that going shooting is more enjoyable if I don't try to clean all my fired weapons in one night. 1 or 2 every other day works well for me. (Yes, I DO clean the AR, Sig and/or Beretta first. These are my "front line" weapons. The others are secondary.)
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I shoot them all.  I had one I hadn't fired because I always took the same guns each time.  Sold it to buy something better which I will shoot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't buy it unless it is to shoot it, if I wan't to spend money on something that just sits around I will just by more AR mags .

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#35]
The only gun I've ever owned, but never shot was a NIB Stainless USP Match .45.  I got it just befroe the Tombraider craze.

A few months later, I was able to sell it for a $700 profit.  I hadn't planned on selling, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a NIB preban Eagle Arms carbine, a LNIB ArmaLite Howa AR180 and a 99.99999999 percent ArmaLite Costa Mesa AR180 that will probably never be fired unless SHTF or I have to sell due to financial difficulties and the new owner(s) shoots them.  I have a Sterling 180, a 180B, plenty of Eagle Arms prebans, Garands, etc to shoot.  They are enough to clean after a day of shooting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Urinalysis needed. Inquire within. WTF?!!!!!

Firearms were designed to shoot. Any questions?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Urinalysis needed. Inquire within. WTF?!!!!!

Firearms were designed to shoot. Any questions?

Question:  Why are you questioning what we choose to do with our firearms?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a few that have been shot,but I haven't shot them. They were my dad's. He's dead now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I shoots them all..
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#41]
There are no virgins in my collection.  Toys are meant to be enjoyed to the max!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#42]
I shoot every gun I own,  no use keeping a safe queen for investment.  it is just not me.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Alas, I do not.

I shoot and I collect. I do not buy guns as investments but there are guns I have that I don't want to shoot. I usually have shooters of the same type but want to leave an original gun in as good condition as possible.

A rationalization of mine is the non-shooter is the gun I can use after the current shooter is all shot out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I have only two guns I don't shoot regularly.

1. M1A my grandfather gave to me a couple of months before he died.  I shoot it once a year, on his birthday.  Other than that, I want to keep it to myself.

2. An old Fabrique d'Armie SXS in .44-40/28 ga.  Also my grandfathers'.  I don't shoot it because it's unsafe to shoot.  However, it's still the oddest gun I own, so I kept it and did a little restoration work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I shoot them all! Wouldn't think of not shooting them!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#46]
No, I'm interested in collecting as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I have several guns that I purchased new, or LNIB that remain unfired.  I can always shoot them, but I can never make them new again.
If you are able to have several of the same type of firearm why shoot all of them and decrease the value of all of them?

Every time you use something it gets closer to the end of its lifespan.  Not to mention the usefulness of having multiple weapons for parts if you really needed them.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#48]
shoot a couple of thousand rounds in em, how else will you know that they are utterly reliable when it counts
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I buy only weapons that I will shoot. I currently have more than I can stay proficient with, and the number is just barely into double digits. I spend my money on ammo now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I shoot them all.  I had one I hadn't fired because I always took the same guns each time.  Sold it to buy something better which I will shoot.

Hey Robert, I couldnt pass this one up without a comment LOL.
So you sold me the only rifle you couldnt shoot so now i'm stuck with it:)
I have a unfired Browning sweet 16 but the Oly you sold me might just join that sweet 16 as well.
The "something better" you refered to will be of the belt-fed variety i presume??
Seriously, i will try the Oly this weekend and let you know. Great pics on the subgun event last weekend BTW.
Regards, eugene
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top