Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2002 6:17:28 PM EDT
i bought 2 magazines for my 1911, they were supposed to be made by colt. they have the horsey logo on the bottom. 2 for 23.00 thats pretty cheap for colt.  thought was getting a good deal.
the seller mailed them to me pretty fast,3 days from alaska. thats good service.
when i try to insert the mags in my pistol they wont fit, not in my colt or kimber. they slide in the first half and are a press fit the second half.
 i email the seller, he writes back i might have to tweek the mags in a vice,then they will work great.
i mailed the mags back today, they cant be colt made.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently they were indeed not Colt mags. I'd bet they were Chinese made with some sort of variation of the Colt horse.

As for the advice about the mags going in the vice, I'd have told him to put his balls in there too. >gg<
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
walt, check out www.cdnninvestments.com/colt.html they are in your state of TEXAS. have had good service from them.
sorry to hear about your bad luck with that guy.
have a good week.
colt
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Walttx,
As you probably already know, you have to be careful with 1911 magazines.  Being a long time 1911 effectionado, I can tell you that mags similar to what you bought are at the gunshows by the thousands.  Many of the more unscrupulous characters like to sell these at $7 each, blued, and have the bottom floor plate stamped colt.  Many are not.  It's pretty easy to stamp them. Your best bet is to buy Wilson Combat Mags or Chip McCormick.  The mags cause 90% of the 1911 problems that people like to complain about.  Those $7 gun show specials are notorious for causing problems.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I am not terribly fond of the colt mags anyway.  I have a tactical officer's lightweight which is bascially just an aluminum commander frame (i think thats what its called - whatever is 8 rounds) with an officer's slide on it.  It came with 2 factory mags and i couldnt get more than 2 rounds out of the gun without a jam.  I sent it in for service and all they did was polish the ramp - still jammed like a jennings.  I started buying mags - USA first, yep crap.  Then tried some Mec-Gars... they performed really well.  I have heard the chip mccormick's are good too but i had enough luck with the mecgars that i stopped there.  Now, I dont know - the colt mags may be decent in full-size or some other configurations but for this setup, they sucked.

-Nuke
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top