Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2002 7:04:31 PM EDT

I am considering purchasing a Kahr Thompson Semi M1. I need to know from owners, or those who have handled it, if it's worth $800. Is the finish deep? How does the wood look? I have only seen them in the broschure and it makes me drool every time. I am hoping they are closer to a Bushmaster than a Desert Eagle for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a kahr thompson last year and had nothing but problems with it.I might of had been a lemon but it was a piece of crap. I dont mean to trample on anyone who owns a thompson i just wasnt satisfied with mine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of problems? Magazine related or ftf, fte? Anyone else have problems? I would expect top quality for the price they are asking.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen a few up close and they arent too bad, but arent realy worth the price.  I am a Thompson lover, but the semi's are hard to cock due to tremendous spring pressure and suffer from quality troubles occasionally.  The wood is pretty good, but not superb.  Blueing is typical commercial quality but the metal isnt polished to a perfectly smooth finish usually.  It isnt a junk gun by any means, just a high priced weapon that goes on name and nostalgia to get that price.  Also, you have to modify original magazines to work in the semi-auto weapons by elongating the catch hole in the spine of the mag.  The hole has to be lengthened toward the top of the magazine.  The mags that come with the weapon, and available aftermarket, are ALL (except the new made drums) are original WW2 military production.  Kahr, and Auto-Ordnance before them, refinish new old stock mags and modify them to work in the semi's.  The 10 rd drums are new made as are 50 and 100 round drums made by Auto-Ordnance in the 80's and 90's before the cutoff date.  There are thousands of unused Thompson stick mags available out there as the military had millions and millions of these made during the war and never came close to using all of them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have got a West Hurley Thompson 1927A1 and a Kahr M1. Both in 45ACP and semi auto only. They were expensive but I think that they were worth it. Its true the finish could be better but I bought them for blasting fun.And speaking off shooting them if you do get one make sure that you run full power 230grain ball loads thru it.Thats probably where most people had problems with the guns because the light loads won`t cycle the heavy bolt and springs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top