Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2002 5:16:35 PM EDT
I'm planning on buying a Garand tomorrow. Have all my paperwork for CMP ready so now I come upon a really nice rifle in my favorite shop-LNIB(refurb'ed). Dealer is straight up and honest. He wouldn't screw me intentionally.

??is how to make sure is orig GI; not get screwed,etc? Don't have time to get Scott Duff's book.

Rifle is a Springfield Armory receiver which appears to have milling marks,etc. What should I look for?

I'll almost certainly buy and then maybe also put in for CMP rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
First, check out the Fulton Armory site for tips on recognizing a "rewelded" receiver. They are still out there.
Dick and Gloria Culver's CSP pages also have a wealth of info regarding Garands, especially the pages called "Lane's tips".
Also, make sure that rifle is a USGI Springfield, not a recently manufactured receiver with a GI parts kit installed. The CSP pages contain a list of GI serial numbers.
I can't imagine that this rifle is cheaper than one from the CMP, but I know the wait is a pain, especially for your first M1. But one thing to keep in mind is that you CAN'T go wrong with a CMP rifle. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help. I bought it today. Saw an HK93 in same store today-now I want it. Damn, never stops!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help. I bought it today. Saw an HK93 in same store today-now I want it. Damn, never stops!

What's he want for the Garand & HK93?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top