Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2002 4:22:25 PM EDT
Let me say two things about the Lake City 55gr ammo that Eric sent me: 1) this is HOT stuff (fastest load tested in 55gr), 2) this is accurate stuff (as accurate as 55gr Winchester Q3131A, or any other non-match ammo tested).

That being said, on to the chrono results:  (taken at ~6ft. elevation, 80 degrees (F), and 80% humidity) chrono was 10 feet from my braced shooting position, per the chrono manual's instructions.

Rifle used: Bushmaster Dissipator, 1 in 9 twist 16" bbl, (no muzzle brake, no flash suppressor).

Average velocity (6 shots each)
1)Ammoman free Lake City XM193, 55gr: 3190 fps
2)Q3131A Winchester, 55gr: 3052fps
3) Winchester Varmit loads (claimed 3600 fps, on box) 40 gr: 3277 fps

No accuracy results were scientifically calculated, although #'s 1 and 2 were both on par for excellent non-match ammo accuracy.  

Eric, where can I get more XM193???
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Dissipator556,

Hope you don't mind me adding my results here as well.

I wasn't as scientific as Dis556, but my results mirror his.

The XM193 was hotter than my Win Q3131A and my South African.

It also had tighter groups at 100M than either the Win or the SA

I shot a 10 shot group from a 16" SS bull barrel I had what I figure 4 flyers due to my own problems. The other six were .75" grouping add in the other 4 and you get 1.75", for 10 rounds with out the aid of a solid rest(I shot off of the hood of my jeep) It ain't bad. Win Q3131A was 2" for the same and printed about 2" lower as well.

It was a windy day, but blowing from behind me.

Eric, thanks for the chance to review XM193

dave
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice results 556, nice to see ammoman gave it to the right person for proper testing. I would have based my results on how many coots I shot that day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna toss my review on here too.

Mine was very unscientific.

I shot the 10 of the rounds from the mag my AR-180B came with, and another 10 from a 20 round Thermold.

I fired these from a knee. Why? I try to shoot very little from a benchrest. Never found a benchrest while hiking in the woods.

Anyway, here's my review:
*trumpets*
I'm buying the stuff when my next paycheck comes in.

If anybody asks, I'll tell them to do the same.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll jump on the review bandwagon and tack mine on here. I'll begin by saying that I concur with Ammoman's review.

Like everyone else, I wasn't that scientific about it but here's my basic info:

Rifle used was a post ban Bushmaster XM15E2S (16" barrel). Shooting at 50Mwith an Aimpoint Comp M-XD sighted at 50M using Winchester Q3131A.

I fired four 5 round groups with the box Eric supplied. For comparison, I fired a like number of groups of the Winchester. Three groups of each ammo were slow fired from a sandbag to test for accuracy; the last were semi rapid fired offhand to "test for usability." All were fired under relatively calm wind conditions. I have no idea about elevation, temperature (it was hot!), humidity, etc.

Accuracy was comparable when shooting from the sandbags. If I discounted shooter error, groups averaged about 1.25" for both ammo types. The best group from the Lake City was one jagged hole (just about .75"). The offhand group from the Lake City was wider that the Winchester (3" vs. 5") but one group is hardly indicative of anything. All were comfortably inside the center of an IDPA target at 50 yards.

The Winchester's point of impact matched point of aim (as it should). The Lake City shot slightly high. The groups centered about half of an inch above the point of aim. Not sure if this means anything or if it's more shooter error.

Muzzle flash (postban ) was more noticeable with the Lake City but not enough to be a major problem. This might account for the (a) shooter error which, if not taken into consideration, made the Lake City groups larger and (b) the larger groups semi rapid fired off hand. Learning that it's loaded hotter makes sense.

All in all, it's awesome ammunition. I'd have to resight my scope and get used to the increased flash but for the increased energy, I think I'd suffer through that. As soon as my current stock starts looking thin and my wallet a little thicker, I forsee a purchase in the future.

Eric, thanks for giving me that chance to take part in the test!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Great report's. Now I feel badly that I have not gotten to the range yet. Probably will not get to till after the BRC. The magnet is proudly displayed on the fridge if that is any consolation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Still waiting for a day at the range

I made it to my Service Rifle match last sunday, that about all I have been out for the last 6 weeks.... I am going through withdrawl

However I could report a 1/4" average group size with lot# 2 out of my 700VSSF at 100yards.

I could also tell you that lot#2 gave some muzzle flash out of my 20"BM.  I also used it in last Sundays match and ended with a 463(my best score yet), on the 200 yard reduced targets.. I know I threw a few points on my 20shot slowfire, There were 4 wind direction changes during that relay.  Wind did have a considerable effect on this.  

I will post better data as soon as I could get an afternoon at the range.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Guess I will add my review here and a couple of pics.
I used my 2001 LEGP for the test.
I did 3 types of ammo in my test. I did 2 sets of 5 for each except the South African stuff.
I used the ammo Eric was kind enough to give me, some Black Hills 68gr hp moly, and some of the stuff from the SA battle pack I bought last year.
Now I thought it was my imagination, but after I let my wife try two rounds I knew it wasn't, the stuff Eric sent me had a huge fireball jump out of my barrel. The other two didn't do anything close to that. I thought it kicked worse, she told me I was a wuss, and she thought it kicked less.

Sorry it isn't a great pic. Oh and this was only at 25 yrds. I could only make it to the indoor this weekend.
The center is the Black hills stuff. So is the upper right.
The SA is in the lower left, and the stuff eric sent was in the top left and lower right.
I had a few fliers that made it off the page, so not all the shots are there. I used a half dollar as refernce.

Here is where I took the last 8 and blazed at a target. Same deal it is a half dollar as reference.
Oops forgot to mention, only what is on the shoot n see is part of that group. The stuff around it is from other shooting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Funny you all would mention the muzzle flash- on my BM dissipator (16" crowned bbl) the flash was comparable to the Winchester Q3131A.  I have no flash suppressor or brake installed, FYI.

Hopefully, we can all have flash suppressors in 2004- keep your fingers crossed, and write/call/email (all 3 is best) your local, state, and federal reps!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top