Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2002 5:36:00 AM EDT
Well, I decided to get a suppressor from a place called costal gun.  It's a little .22 can and will be my first so - should be interesting.  Does anyone know the process for buying this thing (I'm in indiana).  Do i buy it from the guy, have him ship it to my class 3 dealer, and then go about doing the form 4, or should i do that before i even make the order?

-Nuke
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Nuke -

I've never tried one of his cans, but if its Clyde Wilson at Coastal Gun, you are at least dealing with a good guy (I bought a Sten from him a few years ago).  Mickey Mouse pretty much covered the process, but make sure your C3 dealer will do the transfer for you - there's C3 dealers in my state (not NY) who will not do transfers - either buy it from their inventory or buy it through someone else.  Assuming he'll do the transfer, the supressor will go on a form 3 from Clyde to your C3 dealer, and once he receives it, you'll do a form 4 to take possession.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, Clyde Wilson... that's the guy.  I have already talked to the local place and they'll do the transfer (for $50... can't blame em I guess...but I'm used to $20 or $25 transfers for non NFA stuff.).  They didn't make it sound like the form 4 would be a big deal but I'll be calling the local sheriff tomorrow to see if he will do it... do I need to take anything with me?  Will he have the form 4s and all that?  Does my local guy need to take possession before he will sign off so we will have the serial number?  So many questions, I guess I'll find out what I need tomorrow when i call the sheriff.  Thanks for the help.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
What county do you live in?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yeah, Clyde Wilson... that's the guy.  I have already talked to the local place and they'll do the transfer (for $50... can't blame em I guess...but I'm used to $20 or $25 transfers for non NFA stuff.).  They didn't make it sound like the form 4 would be a big deal but I'll be calling the local sheriff tomorrow to see if he will do it... do I need to take anything with me?  Will he have the form 4s and all that?  Does my local guy need to take possession before he will sign off so we will have the serial number?  So many questions, I guess I'll find out what I need tomorrow when i call the sheriff.  Thanks for the help.

-Nuke

Your dealer should have form 4's and fingerprint cards for you (get two of each).  You'll need two passport sized photos for the forms - my sheriff takes the pics for $5, but I've heard others won't even do them.  Just ask when you call the sheriff to see about the signoff.  Fill out the form 4 (in duplicate) put the passport photos on there (you'll see where) and go get your sheriff to sign them and fingerprint you.  Pack the whole mess up and send it, along with your check for $200, to the NFA Branch (address on the F4).

You'll have to wait to do the form 4 until your dealer gets the supressor in his hands.  You do not want a situation where BATF has a pending form 3 from Clyde to your dealer and then (with the F3 stillpending) receives a form 4 to transfer the same supressor to you.  Makes a real clusterfuck of the paperwork and will probably just delay you an extra month or two by making everyone start the process all over again.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
QuietShootr-

Hendricks county

-Nuke
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
What are you putting it on and is there a web site? I love to look and drool at these things.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, the plan is to put it on a thompson contender... if it works well enough, ill probably buy something in semi auto to play with.  He doesnt have a website , i dont think but you can drool all day at the NFA ads on Bower's site.

http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/

-Nuke
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
QuietShootr-

Hendricks county

-Nuke

Well, hell, me too!  Call Brian at Sunset Weapons Systems in Danville.  I've got some stuff waiting on an F4 with him right now..hell of a nice guy.  317-718-0948.

QS
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Hehe, small world!  That's who I have been talking to about doing the transfer for me.  Too weird.  Clyde already has them on file, too , which was a bonus.  Did you get your form 4 signed by the sheriff?  Brian help you set it all up?

-Nuke
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I talked to Brian and the sheriff's office this morning and it sounds like no big deal so I'm sending my money off to coastal to start this thing going... minimum four months on the form 4 and who knows how long on the form 3 ... i just hope i don't forget that i bought this thing by the time i am finally 'allowed' to own it  :(  And I thought a five day waiting period  was ridiculous.

-Nuke
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top